Matt Kemp - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Matt Kemp

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Matt Kemp

Postby Skimo77 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:40 pm

So what do you guys think of Matt Kemp's answering yes to a question about him going 40/40 this year? I traded a decent chunk last year to get him as a keeper and he's sick.. but 40/40 is a stretch... what do u think the expectations are for him this year?
Skimo77
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Matt Kemp

Postby tiggis » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:04 pm

98runs/24Hr/86rbi/32sb/.291 avg is the floor <-Bank on these and be surprised if you get more.
Fantasy Angel
Yes I am a southern girl.
Yes that is my photo,
Yes I can kick your butt in Fantasy Baseball,
Fantasy Angel's Sure Fire Breakout/Post Hype Player
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=404816
tiggis
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:05 pm

He didn't even hit 20 last year so 40 HR seems really optimistic. That doesn't mean he can't do it just that I wouldn't hold my breath.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:14 pm

By any chance, did you read this? :-D

LA Times | Matt Kemp says a 40-40 season possible

I don't think it'll happen because he's still learning how to put the ball in play, but I think he'll have HR's in the low-to-mid-20's and 30 SB to boot.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby rib217 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:46 pm

do we know where Kemp will be batting in the lineup? Alot of talent there; will Kemp get a nice spot or be down at the bottom?
rib217
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby Secret Avatar » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:28 pm

I'm bullish on Kemp (he's one of my keepers this season) but 40-40 is a fantasy. There's a reason why so few players have ever done it. Realistically, I think he can make a run at 30-30 this season, but even that will be hard to do. A lot depends on where they bat him in the lineup. If I recall, they jerked him around somewhat last season in terms of playing time and batting order.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby colt4523 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:59 pm

Once he starts cutting down on his K's then maybe he can start talking about hitting around 40 hrs.
90% of my posts are from complaining about my team :)
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 81)

Postby californiasunshine » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:16 pm

Secret Avatar wrote:I'm bullish on Kemp (he's one of my keepers this season) but 40-40 is a fantasy. There's a reason why so few players have ever done it. Realistically, I think he can make a run at 30-30 this season, but even that will be hard to do. A lot depends on where they bat him in the lineup. If I recall, they jerked him around somewhat last season in terms of playing time and batting order.

It's so hard to go 40/40 because if you hit that many HR's your not going to be on 1st base enough to get 40 SB's lol.
californiasunshine
College Coach
College Coach

Postby siQ_innovation » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:10 pm

californiasunshine wrote:
Secret Avatar wrote:I'm bullish on Kemp (he's one of my keepers this season) but 40-40 is a fantasy. There's a reason why so few players have ever done it. Realistically, I think he can make a run at 30-30 this season, but even that will be hard to do. A lot depends on where they bat him in the lineup. If I recall, they jerked him around somewhat last season in terms of playing time and batting order.

It's so hard to go 40/40 because if you hit that many HR's your not going to be on 1st base enough to get 40 SB's lol.

lol!

Even if Kemp happens to go 20/40 this season, I'd be happy with where I drafted him. 40/40 is a definite reach considering only 4 people have done it since 1988 which was Jose Can(suck)o and the most recent was Alfonso Soriano in 2006.

Props to RyanK for the Sig.
siQ_innovation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:16 pm

40/40 is insanity. He only hit 18 last year and had a SLG of .459. I'd say a repeat of last year should be expected. And he does need to cut those K's down or his AVG might start dropping to with a BABIP of .417 in '07 and a still insane .380 last year.
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates