Limited Yahoo Draft Dates - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Limited Yahoo Draft Dates

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Limited Yahoo Draft Dates

Postby Apollo » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:34 pm

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but a search didn't get me anywhere, so I apologize.

My league is having trouble finding a draft time that works for us, and it's not helped by the fact that Yahoo will only let us choose times like 9 AM on Sunday mornings and 1 PM Tuesday afternoon. I know that Yahoo has always had limited draft time availability, but this year seems worse than ever. We had a solid noon Sunday spot locked down until something came up for several of the league owners and forced us to change it. Now there's almost nothing left.

In the past, many draft times have opened up later in the draft process, and I've been waiting for that, but it just keeps getting more and more bare-bones.

I know this seems like a lot of whining, but I basically have two questions:

1) Why are the draft times limited? Is there really a shortage of server space to host the drafts? They're freaking Yahoo!

2) Will draft times open up, as they have in the past? Or am I stuck with the lousy selection I see now?

I much prefer Yahoo, but if I have to go to ESPN to have my draft at a decent hour...
Apollo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 515
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 14 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: IL

Re: Limited Yahoo Draft Dates

Postby Maris09 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:48 pm

Just do it at an offsite location and then have someone enter them.
At somewhere like Mock Draft Central you can host a private draft whenever you want, and then just put the results into Yahoo.

Good luck
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2152
(Past Year: 8)
Joined: 3 Jun 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Limited Yahoo Draft Dates

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:31 pm

Apollo wrote:I'm sure this has been brought up before, but a search didn't get me anywhere, so I apologize.

My league is having trouble finding a draft time that works for us, and it's not helped by the fact that Yahoo will only let us choose times like 9 AM on Sunday mornings and 1 PM Tuesday afternoon. I know that Yahoo has always had limited draft time availability, but this year seems worse than ever. We had a solid noon Sunday spot locked down until something came up for several of the league owners and forced us to change it. Now there's almost nothing left.

In the past, many draft times have opened up later in the draft process, and I've been waiting for that, but it just keeps getting more and more bare-bones.

I know this seems like a lot of whining, but I basically have two questions:

1) Why are the draft times limited? Is there really a shortage of server space to host the drafts? They're freaking Yahoo!

2) Will draft times open up, as they have in the past? Or am I stuck with the lousy selection I see now?

I much prefer Yahoo, but if I have to go to ESPN to have my draft at a decent hour...

I'll try to look into this. Normally I get e-mail alerts if draft slots are running low, and this year I've seen no such alerts. But that is actually a bit suspicious; maybe the e-mail alert is broken. I'll take a look.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1388
(Past Year: 42)
Joined: 1 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Limited Yahoo Draft Dates

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:33 pm

Okay. I've confirmed something definitely went wrong here, and my monitoring had gotten turned off. I'd expect in the next day or two you'll see more draft times appearing now that I know something is wrong.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1388
(Past Year: 42)
Joined: 1 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Limited Yahoo Draft Dates

Postby tms298 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:11 pm

I'm sorry to bother with such a simple question as I presume the answer is, "yes", but are the draft slots going to be available into April soon?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe for a standard h2h league in yahoo we could draft on Aaturday the 4th of April and not miss any games, right?
tms298
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 614
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 21 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Harrisburg, PA

Re: Limited Yahoo Draft Dates

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:42 pm

tms298 wrote:I'm sorry to bother with such a simple question as I presume the answer is, "yes", but are the draft slots going to be available into April soon?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe for a standard h2h league in yahoo we could draft on Aaturday the 4th of April and not miss any games, right?

That is incorrect, and why we aren't yet offering drafts on that date. The first fantasy week begins on 3/30; therefore, if you draft after that date in a h2h league, you'll miss scoring for week 1. It says this explicitly on the registration page, but we further try to limit this mistake by holding off on these late drafts until a few weeks before the season. We do this based on the experience of lots of crazed commissioners calling customer care because they didn't read that message and then are upset to have missed week 1 scoring.

That being said, it *is* a few weeks before the season. I meant to add these late drafts sometime today, and will do so if I get a chance. But it sounds like you, tms298, do not actually want one of them.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1388
(Past Year: 42)
Joined: 1 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Limited Yahoo Draft Dates

Postby Carnac » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:30 pm

As was suggested before, have your draft on a mock draft site and enter league into Yahoo. We do it every year for 2 live football drafts. It is easy and you draft when you want to.

Also, we have drafted 2 baseball leagues every year online with Yahoo and never had a problem with getting a time of our choosing. Everyone in our league makes the commitment to be there. In 10 years I think only 2 managers (once each) missed the draft and auto drafted. It sounds more like a problem with commitment of your league managers than anything else.

good luck and happy drafting
Carnac
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1397
(Past Year: 71)
Joined: 11 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Strolling down Penny Lane

Re: Limited Yahoo Draft Dates

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:26 pm

Carnac wrote:As was suggested before, have your draft on a mock draft site and enter league into Yahoo. We do it every year for 2 live football drafts. It is easy and you draft when you want to.

Also, we have drafted 2 baseball leagues every year online with Yahoo and never had a problem with getting a time of our choosing. Everyone in our league makes the commitment to be there. In 10 years I think only 2 managers (once each) missed the draft and auto drafted. It sounds more like a problem with commitment of your league managers than anything else.

good luck and happy drafting

Drafting off site will not help this user. If he wants to have his draft after the start of fantasy week 1, no matter where he has it he will miss week 1 scoring.

Once I became aware we were short on draft times, I've added them pretty liberally. Hopefully nobody is having trouble getting drafts when they want at this point, other than people who are waiting for me to add the draft times after the start of H2H week 1.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1388
(Past Year: 42)
Joined: 1 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Limited Yahoo Draft Dates

Postby Carnac » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:45 pm

We may be responding to 2 different posters. I was responding to the original poster (Apollo), who didn't mention anything about drafting after the start of the season.

At any rate, I hope everything works out for both posters!

have a great draft
Carnac
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1397
(Past Year: 71)
Joined: 11 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Strolling down Penny Lane

Re: Limited Yahoo Draft Dates

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:23 pm

Carnac wrote:We may be responding to 2 different posters. I was responding to the original poster (Apollo), who didn't mention anything about drafting after the start of the season.

At any rate, I hope everything works out for both posters!

have a great draft

Yup, we were responding to different posters. That makes more sense :-)
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1388
(Past Year: 42)
Joined: 1 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Laicekl and 10 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Oct. 24
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at San Francisco
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact