SP=Francisco Liriano 3
SP=Jake Peavy 4
RP=Joe Nathan 5
RP=Mike Gonzalez 13
P=Jon Lester 9
P=Chad Billingsley 8
P=Joey Devine 17
BN=Scott Baker 19

I feel my team is balanced my pitching looks great baring injuries, all me ofeense can hit double digit homer and I only have one really big BA killer (Pena), but I think I am lacking in steals

What do you think.

leave a link and I will reply to yours
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Championship caliber?

Postby gore51 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:43 pm

Great team, I'd try to trade Pena for a good 3B, Chris Davis shouldn't have the greatest AVG either, but it'll work. You had some great value picks,Pence, Sandoval, Werth, Baker, Billingsley, and Lester. I think you reached for Liriano, Chris Davis, and Drew. Alex Gordon is a weak link in my eyes, I really can't see him doing much.

viewtopic.php?t=370515
gore51
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thatguysound » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:51 pm

Two thoughts:

1. If you can, I'd try to deal for a solid closer. Nathan's arm seems to be giving him troubles. Devine should be good, but its not a lock that he gets all the save opps in Oakland. And I'm really wary of Mike Gonzalez this year. You don't have to go out and get a top 5 closer - especially since you have one in Nathan if he's healthy - but someone who you can count on more than Devine or Gonzalez. Then whatever you get from those two guys is gravy.

2. I'd also try to deal for a better 3B. Gordon is improving, but unless you're in a keeper league, I'm not sure I'm ready to count on him this year. He's going to have a REALLY hard time living up to the expectations that were put on him a couple years ago when the Royals gave him the starting job, IMO, but there are a lot of people who are still high on him. If you can package him for Aramis Ramirez - hell, maybe even Atkins - I'd do that in a heartbeat.
As of 8/4/13
C:Napoli 1B:Goldshmidt 2B:Kinsler, Gyorko SS:Tulo, Profar 3B:Longoria, Machado, Middlebrooks OF:Harper, J. Upton, AGon, R. Davis, Venable SP:Scherzer, Minor, Ryu, E.Santana, Beachy, Samardzja, J.Johnson (DL), T.Ross RP:Perez, Rodney, Farquar
thatguysound
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 34)

Postby Padres Fan » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:17 pm

I have a gut feeling for Gordon and even passed on Zimmerman and Beltre for him, I am looking to trade pena for another RP option and looking to shop werth for another CI bat. I might look at shopping Baker as well too
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby thatguysound » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:21 pm

Padres Fan wrote:I have a gut feeling for Gordon and even passed on Zimmerman and Beltre for him, I am looking to trade pena for another RP option and looking to shop werth for another CI bat. I might look at shopping Baker as well too

Hope you're right, for your sake. What round did you take Gordon in? With gut feelings, you're probably better off drafting them for what the conservative estimates project, rather than what your gut feeling says. If your gut is right, then you've picked up a steal in a later round for performance that could have justified an earlier pick. And if your gut is wrong, you haven't missed out on more reliable players by taking the gut feeling pick higher than you needed to.
As of 8/4/13
C:Napoli 1B:Goldshmidt 2B:Kinsler, Gyorko SS:Tulo, Profar 3B:Longoria, Machado, Middlebrooks OF:Harper, J. Upton, AGon, R. Davis, Venable SP:Scherzer, Minor, Ryu, E.Santana, Beachy, Samardzja, J.Johnson (DL), T.Ross RP:Perez, Rodney, Farquar
thatguysound
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thatguysound » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:23 pm

thatguysound wrote:
Padres Fan wrote:I have a gut feeling for Gordon and even passed on Zimmerman and Beltre for him, I am looking to trade pena for another RP option and looking to shop werth for another CI bat. I might look at shopping Baker as well too

Hope you're right, for your sake. What round did you take Gordon in? With gut feelings, you're probably better off drafting them for what the conservative estimates project, rather than what your gut feeling says. If your gut is right, then you've picked up a steal in a later round for performance that could have justified an earlier pick. And if your gut is wrong, you haven't missed out on more reliable players by taking the gut feeling pick higher than you needed to.

Never mind - just saw you got him in the 16th. Not terrible at all. Probably still could have waited longer, as he went completely undrafted in all four of my leagues so far, and will probably be undrafted in my 5th one coming up. Its not going to kill you, probably, but you better hope your gut feeling is right.
As of 8/4/13
thatguysound
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Padres Fan » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:44 pm

anyone else?
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby shuffcard » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:41 pm

I think you got a steal with sizemore and braun as your top 2 picks.

I agree with your "gut" on gordon-drafted him in 16th as well
shuffcard
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby livinginarizona » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:51 pm

You definitely got a steal with Sizemore in the 2nd round(Pick 13)? Wow.

I don't think I would have drafted Liriano in the 3rd though, definitely a reach there. I would have taken Peavy and gone with someone else truthfully, a corner infielder or one of the 3 elite catchers would have been my choice in the 4th round.

I think you have a decent team, how many teams does it take to get into the playoffs?

Help with mine? viewtopic.php?t=370940
livinginarizona Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Padres Fan » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:29 pm

Well I was worried all elite pitcher were going quick and I had the 12th pick and Liriano/Peavy were back to back picks, I wanted 2 200k pitchers, I might've ended up with 3 with Billingsley as well. I drafted Devine cuz I think he will be Oaklands closer, Ziegler is too finesse to maintain it too long.
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team