How much emphasis should I place on Split Stats? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How much emphasis should I place on Split Stats?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: How much emphasis should I place on Split Stats?

Postby fezzik » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:42 pm

I look at pre/post allstar splits for certain types of players...like young players who showed steady improvement or a player who may have been hampered by a nagging injury for enough of the year to skew his stats.

I don't pay as much attention to home/road splits unless there is a lot of data to support some sort of significance...often times this would be with players in Colorado (or SD). I also pay attention to park factor if a player is switching venue and the variance in park factor is high (ie. if Ubaldo Jimenez went to LAD or Adrian Gonzalez was traded to Colorado, I would bump up their value).
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:49 pm

J35J wrote:1 season worth of splits isn't enough to come to a conclusion...see how they looked the last few years and what trends are taking place.

YES. THIS IS CORRECT.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Polar Bear » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:18 am

Thank for the info on this subject. Things make more sense now.

What about a guy like Adam LaRoche?

He tends to start out in the basement and then erupt after the 2nd week of July. This has happened the last 3 seasons at least. Does a guy like this ever have a season where he puts it all together or does his splits stay the same throughout his career.
Polar Bear
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Dan Charette » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:14 pm

Polar Bear wrote:Thank for the info on this subject. Things make more sense now.

He tends to start out in the basement and then erupt after the 2nd week of July. This has happened the last 3 seasons at least. Does a guy like this ever have a season where he puts it all together or does his splits stay the same throughout his career.

They're trying to get LaRoche as many at bats as possible this spring. I think one of these years he will start the season good. He seems to be too good of a hitter for this to happen every year.
Dan Charette
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:04 pm

Polar Bear wrote:Thank for the info on this subject. Things make more sense now.

I wouldn't trust a 1st half/2nd half split unless I had 6 years of data to confirm it. Would not be surprised if there are some players who don't like the cool weather, but wouldn't base a decision on it without sufficient inof.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers