Not Paying for Saves Draft Strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Not Paying for Saves Draft Strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Not Paying for Saves Draft Strategy

Postby RAmst23 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:19 pm

In a public or less active 12 team league, I usually go strong on hitters and then worry about pitching later. In shallow leagues there will be many many pitchers on the WW who are high risk/high upside that nobody can fit on their roster. Just wait for those to pan out, pick them up and be on your way.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dmbjeff » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:23 pm

yeah try playing in an 18 team league and not having to pay for saves. 30 closers and 18 teams = 2 closers on a team is a luxury and a necessity. i laugh at you guys who play 10 and 12 man leagues and can have 3 or 4 closers on your team.
dmbjeff
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:27 pm

dmbjeff wrote:yeah try playing in an 18 team league and not having to pay for saves. 30 closers and 18 teams = 2 closers on a team is a luxury and a necessity. i laugh at you guys who play 10 and 12 man leagues and can have 3 or 4 closers on your team.

Yeah...I play in a 10 team NL-only league...2 closers = going to be top 3 in SV (more then likely).
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby woodson_28 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:34 pm

I typically draft one closer in the 10-14 rd range. Than try to grab 2 or 3 w/ my last 4 picks.

The # of closers you need really depend on the league you're in. Last year, a few weeks out from playoffs (right before the trade deadline), I had 3 closers on my team and was sitting in 2nd place in a H2H league. The 1st place team has zero closers and the third place team had 6 closers. Knowing that I only needed 1-2 saves a week to win the cat against the first place team, and that I had a slime chance of beating the 3rd place team in the saves category as he had twice the number of closers, I promptly traded 2 of my closers for a better SP. The result? I played the first place team in the Championship game and won 7-6-1, with a total of 3 saves, and he had zero. Nice...
woodson_28
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:45 pm

Personally, I try not to pay a relatively early price on a closer, but it all depends on the ebb and flow of a draft. This year, I see more managers in a standard league wait until the 6th/7th round to pick one of what's perceived to be an elite closer (i.e. Papelbon, Nathan). There's a good chance you can fall back on a Broxton/Marmol/Fuentes/Valverde type in the 9th-11th round, the type I wouldn't mind as a #1 closer. Then a round or a couple later, you're still looking at a Qualls/Bell/Hoffman type. Just don't fall back to the point where you're in a more volatile closer situation (i.e. Percival, Lyon) that a) gives you lousy ratios and/or b) there's a good chance you'll have a closer who will lose closing duties at some time during the year. Taking one or two top 15 closers can easily remove the pressing need of scouring for saves to stay alive in the category.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby dave knight » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:16 pm

I'd aim for quality closers on smaller teams like Capps, Soria, Qualls, Bell, Lindstrom. Lindstrom especially has a relatively low chance of stinking the joint.

But it's bad to wait until the very bottom with guys like Wilson, Lyon, Sherrill, Percival. They can kill your ratios.
dave knight
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby TheRock » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:08 pm

I'll echo what others have said about league considerations. In any competitive league, anyone who might get a save ever is on a roster.

Consider also player value. Closers contribute to your ratios and K totals as well. Not much you say? Papelbon's .095 WHIP in 69 innings last year was as valuable as Lowe's 1.13 in 211 innings. So says http://www.baseballmonster.com. Elite closers tend to be drafted about where they should, given their true value, measuring all contributions across the board. After the mid-round closer rush in round 10 or so, closers start falling off the board far sooner than they should given their projected value. Invariably many pitchers are taken who would never otherwise be rosterable, only because they might close someday. It's a volatile position, so investing an early pick is always risky. But if you manage to find one who pans out, it's well worth what you spent. This year's top class (Paps, Mo, KRod, Lidge, Nathan, Soria) looks fairly stable. I expect I'll end up with one of these guys on my team in about every league.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby smoovethug » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:40 pm

The nail has been hit on the head here. The more competitive the league the more you want to stock up or at least have some solid options at closer leaving your draft. I'll usually grab two closers in consecutive rounds, under the top tier but before it gets to the point of the shakier pens. In my more competitive leagues I like to leave the table with at least 3 closers because I know it's going to be hard to pluck one off the wire.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Polar Bear » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:29 am

J35J wrote:It's all league dependant. Good quality leagues you better own at least one top 10 closer or your going to spend most of your time searching for one throughout the year. I generally grab 2 top 15 type closers and then fill in with late round guys. This way I don't really even have to worry about the position going forward. Not to mention they are golden for your ERA/WHIP and K's. Knowing you have saves taken care of is a nice burden to have off your back throughout the season.

With all that said I could easily see grabbing a bunch of guys late in public leagues because there are generally decent options still available late....though I haven't played in a public league in quite a few years...thats just what I remember from them and from seein friends play in public leagues.

I agree that it depends on the league and would like to add that it depends also on the league format. In a H2H league you can get by with punting SVs and a solid Starting Staff. In Roto Leagues you must be a tier above everyone else if you are going to win and punt SVs.
Polar Bear
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers