Not Paying for Saves Draft Strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Not Paying for Saves Draft Strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Not Paying for Saves Draft Strategy

Postby jordan9148 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:22 pm

I draft using the "don't pay for saves" strategy, and usually end up getting most of my saves off of the waivers. I'm in a 5X5 standard yahoo H2H keeper league, anyone have any advice for drafting closers? How many CP should I try and leave the draft with? Anyone have any guys I can target very late in the draft, who are guarrenteed opening day closers?

I'm interested to hear other people's strategies on this
jordan9148
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Not Paying for Saves Draft Strategy

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:27 pm

In a 12 man league I try to get one closer with a really solid job around round 9 or 10. Then I pile on the lesser closers later. I shoot for 4 closers if possible anything more seems like overkill.

closers are listed here viewtopic.php?t=367430
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

Postby shmolex » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:32 pm

I pretty much never draft closers until round 13-15 or so. I usually take 2 closers and then fill it up to about 4 or 5 off the waiver wire. It's just really easy to pick up good closers over the course of the season off the waiver wire if you stay active.
shmolex
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby KCollins1304 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:36 pm

The ability to pick up closers off of the wire has a lot to do with your general league activity. In a really active league you'll be lucky to grab more than 1 closer off of the wire. In less competitive leagues it's really easy to pick up every waiver wire closer and not have the need to draft closers very high.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:04 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:The ability to pick up closers off of the wire has a lot to do with your general league activity. In a really active league you'll be lucky to grab more than 1 closer off of the wire. In less competitive leagues it's really easy to pick up every waiver wire closer and not have the need to draft closers very high.

QFT...especially if you play in a Cafe league
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:15 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:The ability to pick up closers off of the wire has a lot to do with your general league activity. In a really active league you'll be lucky to grab more than 1 closer off of the wire. In less competitive leagues it's really easy to pick up every waiver wire closer and not have the need to draft closers very high.

Couldn't have said it better myself. In some leagues, I only draft around 2 closers (not set in stone though) knowing that I'll be able to hawk more off of the WW. In other leagues, I need to try to draft more since these leagues draft the setup men as well (i.e. closers in the waiting).
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby Grounded Polo » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:17 pm

Try not paying for saves in a roto league where out of 60 kept players, 11 are closers.

I was fortunate to get Capps at 10.02 but got stuck with Lindstrom at 12.02 and Lyon at 16.02. The whole league is full of sharks when it comes to getting closers off the wire, can't bank on landing more than one guy at best. If it was H2H, I would have punted saves instantly but if you want to do it in roto, your starters must be head and shoulders above everyone else and not get hurt in addition to a dominant offense. The guy who passed me and won the league last year punted saves but he has CC and Halladay.

It's mind boggling who you pass up to avoid punting a category.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby J35J » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:27 pm

It's all league dependant. Good quality leagues you better own at least one top 10 closer or your going to spend most of your time searching for one throughout the year. I generally grab 2 top 15 type closers and then fill in with late round guys. This way I don't really even have to worry about the position going forward. Not to mention they are golden for your ERA/WHIP and K's. Knowing you have saves taken care of is a nice burden to have off your back throughout the season.

With all that said I could easily see grabbing a bunch of guys late in public leagues because there are generally decent options still available late....though I haven't played in a public league in quite a few years...thats just what I remember from them and from seein friends play in public leagues.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 390)

Postby horatio » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:35 pm

If you're in a competitive roto league, I say good luck to grabbing closers off the waiver wire, especially if your league includes anybody who frequents this site, new guys just get taken too fast.

My thought is grab as many closers as you possibly can, if you don't pay for them on draft day, you could find yourself desperate for a few extra saves come mid season and you'll definitely pay for them then if you're looking to make a trade.

Four closers might be enough, but if one of them gets injured or loses their job, which is a pretty good possibility, then you're just stuck in the middle of the pack jockeying for waiver wire pickups like the rest of the guys in your league, hence, I intend on getting at least 5. Also, you'll find that after around the 13th or 14 league when folks are drafting guys like Ted Lilly you'll be able to grab closers like Qualls and Francisco who I guarantee you you'll be able to trade for better SPs come the ASB than the likes of Lilly.
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby jake_harv88 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:37 pm

J35J wrote:It's all league dependant. Good quality leagues you better own at least one top 10 closer or your going to spend most of your time searching for one throughout the year. I generally grab 2 top 15 type closers and then fill in with late round guys. This way I don't really even have to worry about the position going forward. Not to mention they are golden for your ERA/WHIP and K's. Knowing you have saves taken care of is a nice burden to have off your back throughout the season.

With all that said I could easily see grabbing a bunch of guys late in public leagues because there are generally decent options still available late....though I haven't played in a public league in quite a few years...thats just what I remember from them and from seein friends play in public leagues.

Yeah I agree with this sentiment. The more active your league is the harder it is to execute the "I'll grab closers off WW" strategy. You are better off grabbing a few mid-round closers and some potential late round closers than completely ignoring the position all together...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers