5th last year...1st this year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

5th last year...1st this year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

5th last year...1st this year?

Postby NittanyLions1 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:26 am

14-team head-to-head POINTS (not categories) league. We count everything including holds and -1 for KOs by batters. We kept 4 this year and keep 6 next. Last year my hitting was great but my pitching sucked bigtime (everyone got hurt or didnt live up to their billing). I don't think I have the strongest staff this year either but I think it should at least hold together for me to compete this year no? What do you think...anything you look to do with this team? THANKS AND WHIR!

C - Martin
1B - Cabrera (keeper)
2B - Kinsler (keeper)
SS - HRamirez (keeper)
3B - Gordon
OF - Hamilton (keeper)
OF - Kemp
OF - Hart
OF - Kubel
DH - Adrian Gonzalez
U - Nick Johnson
U - K Morales
P (Start 14) - Gallardo, Kershaw, Slowey, Parra, Kuroda, JO Sanchez, Anibal Sanchez, Bonderman, Marshall, Perkins, Fuentes, Hanrahan, Lyon, K Escobar (going on DL and picking someone up)

Bench (8 hitters): Fontenot (2B), Adam Laroche (3B), Daniel Murphy (OF), T Buck (OF), Smith (OF), Barmes (2B,SS), G Beckham (SS), Baker (C)
Minors (2): Cecil, Matusz
DL: Escobar going here
NittanyLions1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 5th last year...1st this year?

Postby Lsquad » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:54 am

Your team is pretty good, but I do think your pitching will sink you. It does have upside, but you need too many good things to happen for it to really be competative. Maybe your excellent hitting can bludgeon your way to the top in a points league, but I think you need to improve your pitching to really have a shot.
Lsquad
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby NittanyLions1 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:39 am

Lsquad wrote:Your team is pretty good, but I do think your pitching will sink you. It does have upside, but you need too many good things to happen for it to really be competative. Maybe your excellent hitting can bludgeon your way to the top in a points league, but I think you need to improve your pitching to really have a shot.

Yeah, I guess I am hoping for the pitching upside to come through first...if it doesnt then some trades may come. I drafted thinking I would rather take a chance on pitching so we will see...was also tough when everyone kept pitching in my league (Gallardo was the only 'ace' left at my 1st pick). So I figured I would load up on hitting and then pick some high upside pitchers in the mid rounds and see what happens! We will see but I don't think it can be as bad as last year...my hitting was king but I ended up with only 4 of my 14 pitchers that I drafted!!
THANKS for the opinion
NittanyLions1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pacotaco27 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:10 am

I'm not sure the rules of your league, but if you can use your bench spots for pitchers I'd recommend picking up a bunch of pitchers. You seem to have a lot of pitchers with good upside but chances of them all working out are slim to none. If you have twenty pitchers, the chances of 14 being good are much better than if you only have 14 pitchers to start with.
pacotaco27
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby pacotaco27 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:15 am

I just noticed you stated 8 hitters for your bench. If that's the case, I would recommend closely monitoring available pitchers and jumping on them quickly.

I'm not sure of everyone that gets points, but you seem to have done a great job avoiding the high strikeout hitters.

If you could help me I'd appreciate it.

viewtopic.php?t=370801
pacotaco27
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby NittanyLions1 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:38 am

pacotaco27 wrote:I just noticed you stated 8 hitters for your bench. If that's the case, I would recommend closely monitoring available pitchers and jumping on them quickly.

I'm not sure of everyone that gets points, but you seem to have done a great job avoiding the high strikeout hitters.

If you could help me I'd appreciate it.

viewtopic.php?t=370801

Thanks for the comments...yeah we only have bench hitters. I usually am able to build a staff as the season goes on by working the waiver plus the minor league callups. Thats why I usually focus on hitting first. It does lead to a risky staff obviously though.

I don't know if I'm blind but I feel like this year's staff is pretty good compared to last year when I had Billingsley (GOOD) but then Bonderman and Lyon (along with Gagne and Maine) at the front of my staff instead of the back (BAD)!! My supposed 'top pitchers' really shat on my season. Guess we will see how it works this year but I feel my back of the rotation starters arent all that bad either, at least for a 14 pitcher staff (last year it was Gio Gonzalez and Peter Moylan at the back after our draft!).
Anyway, thanks again
NittanyLions1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tobias875 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:56 pm

well your hitting should dominate, and if you get a couple breaks with your pitchers you'll be sitting pretty good.

I think Gallardo will be a top 10 pitcher this year...
tobias875
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AEMRICH » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:18 am

it looks like you have a solid offense with a pitching staff that could be strong but needs a lot of luck for it to turn that way. i think that you need to gain a staff anchor for your rotation or you might be in trouble. i don't see smith or buck really contributing much so i would look to drop them and pick up 2 solid MR guys who will boost your staff with strong era whip and k's. someone like arrendono, perez, buchholz, putz, those types

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=370954
College Tuition: $12,000
Room & Board: $5,600
Books: $500
Food Plan: $2000
Not going to college and living with your parents: Priceless
AEMRICH
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)

Postby NittanyLions1 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:18 pm

AEMRICH wrote:it looks like you have a solid offense with a pitching staff that could be strong but needs a lot of luck for it to turn that way. i think that you need to gain a staff anchor for your rotation or you might be in trouble. i don't see smith or buck really contributing much so i would look to drop them and pick up 2 solid MR guys who will boost your staff with strong era whip and k's. someone like arrendono, perez, buchholz, putz, those types

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=370954

Thanks AEMRICH. Yeah, unfortunately all the 'aces' were kept and while I had Billingsley, I couldn't let one of my keepers go to keep him...so Gallardo is my guy for now...we will see but I do wish I had more of an solid anchor than him. We can't keep pitchers on our bench and its not categories so ERA and K's dont matter as much (although a good pitcher with them will put up more points!!). Perez and Bucholz are still there and could provide some value...I actually may pick up Perez to fill in until Escobar returns but the MRs just dont have the upside of a starter or closer in this league...even though we count holds, they just dont score as much as a closer or a good starter would.
NittanyLions1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team