Help with Minors... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Help with Minors...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Help with Minors...

Postby Bigball » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:36 am

posted this in the draft forum but think it is best here...

have to pick 3 guys off this list: 16 team h2h points league...have 3 picks in a row in the 3rd round of our draft...here are the est players left

Pick one: need a 1st base Power hitter...
1B
David Cooper: I'll be watching to see if he can turn those doubles into home runs while keeping his nice BB/K ratio alive.
Freddie Freeman: 2nd round pick in '07 has a contact rate that I like to see.
Kila Ka'ailhue:Kila had an impressive year with power and great plate discipline but he has had stinkers too - 24 years old.

Pick 2:think I need to pick 2 SP here or may add a OF prospect.
Jack McGeary:Ready to breakout B/America says may be next Pettite?
Dellin Betances: High K% pitcher made huge command progress in July/August; healthy '09 could mean breakout
Junichi Tazawa: will he make an impact in Bean town?
Matt Harrison: 23 Tex Lefty 9-3 with a 5.49 ERA in 15 starts last year - still Qualifies as a ML in our league.
Vin Mazzaro: OAK?
Christian Friedrich (COL)
Jason Motte: Potential Closer - we use 3 RP.
Clayton Richard CHW?
Sharion Martis - Young but plays in WAS?

Also:
Arron Hicks, Andrew Lambo, Kellen Kulibacki, Tyler Flowers, Shin Choo are avaialble:

MY Minors:
Minors Batters
Arencibia, J.P. C TOR
Conger, Hank C ANA
Viciedo, Dayan 3B CHW
Beckham, Tim SS TB
Lowrie, Jed SS BOS
Colvin, Tyler LF CHC
Gonzalez, Carlos OF COL
Rasmus, Colby CF STL

Minors Pitchers
Blackburn, Nick SP MIN
Jeffress, Jeremy SP MIL
Rohrbough, Cole SP ATL
Tucker, Ryan SP FLA
Aumont, Phillippe SP SEA
Kunz, Eddie RP NYM
Melancon, Mark RP NYY
its the biggest no brainer in the history of earth....
Bigball
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Help with Minors...

Postby whatinthebluehell » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:38 pm

Of the 1st baseman, i'd say that none are potential superstars but I'd got with Freeman based on his age and what he's shown in the past year.
Of the pitchers I would go with Betances and Motte.I don't think either will be superstars but Motte could be a great closer in this league. I just don't see Betances being a superstar for the Yankees, he may be trade bait....I'm sceptical about Tazawa and I know a lot of people like him but is unproven...
I do like Kulbacki a lot, he has legit power and contact. He's a 4 star player. I'd take a flyer on Flowers too, he is the air-apparent in Chicago so you can't go wrong.
I would take Kulbacki and Flowers over any of the pitchers listed....You have some good minor league pitchers already and you can never be too deep at catcher or OF
whatinthebluehell
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby kab21 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:15 pm

I like the hitters quite a bit better than the pitchers listed. It's nice to fill positional needs with your minors but if load up your minors with top 50 (or even top 25) prospects then you will be able to trade for needs. At least that will be better than having some pitchers that might be top 200 prospects.

I like Hicks, Freeman, Cooper, and Flowers (in that order) all better than the pitchers you have listed. Choo is nice but he has elbow tendinitis I think in his TJ elbow and has military service to serve in 2010 and 2011 so he might not be a great dynasty option. And the rest of the hitters are decent also.

Betances is a high upside guy but Goldstein's (BP) arms and legs flying everywhere description with multiple arm injuries scares me too much. I think I like McGeary the most out of those guys although he doesn't have alot of upside in fantasy.

aumont has been very, very impressive in the ST game and the WBC game that I saw him in. WOW!
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 173)

Postby King Tim » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:42 pm

<------ Aaron Hicks is the best player you listed. A top 40 prospect. Nice power/speed combo. A true 5 tool stud....but far away

Freeman & Cooper round out my 3
King Tim
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:25 pm

I'd stay away from those SP, none really do anything for me. Motte is interesting but value wise not the best pick IMO. I'd go...

- Hicks - Obvious top talent
- Freeman/Lambo - Both are pretty close but Freeman is a 1b which you want, though Lambo could switch there in the future. Really surprised no one has mentioned Lambo, even BA likes him now. :-b
- Flowers - Depending on your catching needs
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby kab21 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:57 pm

I'm a little iffy on Lambo at least in comparison to why he would be better than Flowers (might stick at C), Cooper or Kulbacki. His K rate is a tad high for my tastes unless his power really takes off by getting out of the pitcher-friendly midwest league (it will help obviously).
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 173)

Postby hybrid » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:33 am

kab21 wrote:I'm a little iffy on Lambo at least in comparison to why he would be better than Flowers (might stick at C), Cooper or Kulbacki. His K rate is a tad high for my tastes unless his power really takes off by getting out of the pitcher-friendly midwest league (it will help obviously).

No problem, Flowers has shown a bit more at a higher level. Catchers are just risky in general, not to say Lambo isn't but w/ his ceiling I think he is a bit of a better prospect. Though you (& King Tim) did list Cooper over Lambo, which is party why I said that.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Return to Minor League & College Baseball