Any Pedro Martinez news? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Any Pedro Martinez news?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Any Pedro Martinez news?

Postby Tigers2006 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:15 pm

Other than the "might be Cardinals' closer", does anyone have news or thoughts or insight on Pedro Martinez? Watching ST and the WBC today, he still looks good. He's gotta be worth a late pick-up or WW/FA grab if he finds a team, right? Thanks.
Tigers2006
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Any Pedro Martinez news?

Postby Rockfan616 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:02 am

Well, he hasn't signed on with a team yet. But he did look really good yesterday in the WBC. So if he can stay healthy he obviously still has some gas in the tank. Not sure where he would go though and who would be interested in him however. So no news yet on "Petey"....LOL yes I'm a Red Sox fan and have very fond memories of him with us. :-)
Rockfan616
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tigers2006 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:27 am

To add info to my own question, this from Rotoworld ...

"Contrary to previous reports, the Baltimore Sun says the Orioles have had internal discussions about Pedro Martinez. Pedro tossed three impressive, scoreless innings Saturday against the Netherlands. He threw 40 pitches, and 32 were strikes. Another performance like that and Martinez might get a few teams chatting."
Tigers2006
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby ytorf » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:30 pm

Any word on what his fastball was hitting? I've been hearing rumors of low 90s, which would be a huge improvement over last year.
ytorf
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Rockfan616 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:48 pm

Yeah, he was hitting around 90-91mph on his fastball. Definitely an improvement on what it was when he was with the Mets last year. I doubt he'll be going to the O's though, if Pedro is smart (and we all know he's a very smart man) he'll stay in the NL. He had a great outing vs. the Netherlands but I don't see it translating well to going back to pitching in the AL East. I heard some rumors about him maybe going to the Dodgers and teaming up with Manny again, but we'll see about that. You never know with Petey what he'll do.
Rockfan616
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dicehound » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:29 pm

that would be great if he came back to the dodgers. I think that's where he started his career, so for that reason as well I could see it happening. I've read that he would rather be a starter, but it sounds like he's got a lot of confidence he can still bring it either way. I certainly wouldn't count him out, and if/when we see another outing like that one, I think he's definitely worth drafting late.
dicehound
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Rockfan616 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:35 am

I will definitely be interested in seeing if he signs with someone pretty soon, before spring training is over with. I wouldn't mind seeing him sign with the Dodgers or even resign with the Mets. Obviously the Mets have some issues in their rotation, nobody but Santana is a sure thing for them (although Pelfrey and Maine are serviceable starters). So I wouldn't be surprised to see him go back there.
Rockfan616
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BUCCOFAN » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:15 pm

Any news of late, I am in a deep 15 team league, (DEEP ROSTERS) and have Pedro stashed on my bench, was wondering if its worth playing the waiting game. Or should I push him off, and move on.
BUCCOFAN
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 191)

Postby Mreater71 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:41 am

I have been wondering the same thing. I also have him hanging on my bench, and want to know if i'm just wasting space or should I hold on to him. Last I heard anything about him was that he rejected a contract proposal by the Pirates.
Mreater71
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bazzy_51 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:49 pm

i know he is definitely not the pitcher of old, but you can't deny the career of Pedro and how that wouldn't be able to land him a roster spot somewhere... dodger talks are squashed as of now, but no one is reporting any other talks at all its crazy...

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates