OPS leagues - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

OPS leagues

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: OPS leagues

Postby J35J » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:22 pm

OPS is just another category. Though you should be using it at least somewhat in your projections/rankings etc if you have OPS as a category or not. But no, OPS is just another category.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby socceryank » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:34 pm

Thanks J35J -- Would you use it as the deciding factor between 2 vastly different players? For instance, I will have the option of choosing between Reyes and MCab . I was leaning towards MCab because of his dual eligibility and greater power numbers. Would this be faulty logic if we use OPS instead of AVG in our league?
C M. Montero
1B AGonz
2B Uggla
3B Zimmermann
SS Jeter
OF J Upton, McCutcheon, Choo
Util Kendrys Morales
BN Pena
DL Gardner
SP Gallardo, Bumgarner, Latos, Zimmermann, Luebke, Jaime Garcia, Hughes, Burnett
RP League, Marshall, Betancourt
socceryank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby smoovethug » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:23 pm

A sleeper of mine who I really love in an OPS league is Ryan Spilborghs. 15/15/.300/.850 is very attainable IMO.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:27 pm

an ops sleeper of mine is rick ankiel. he had 25 hr in only 413 abs, and posted an .843 ops. a full season hitting in front or behind (+/- a few spots) is always a good thing and a 30 hr season is definitely a possibility. he also doesnt kill your avg like a cust, giambi, jacobs.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby J35J » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:37 am

socceryank wrote:Thanks J35J -- Would you use it as the deciding factor between 2 vastly different players? For instance, I will have the option of choosing between Reyes and MCab . I was leaning towards MCab because of his dual eligibility and greater power numbers. Would this be faulty logic if we use OPS instead of AVG in our league?

Makes perfect sense...if you have two players close in value and then you add another category to the scoring and 1 is quite a bit better in that category you will go with that player. MCab is borderline a better option than Reyes as it is...adding OPS for sure puts him above Reyes, IMHO.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby socceryank » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:45 am

J35J wrote:
socceryank wrote:Thanks J35J -- Would you use it as the deciding factor between 2 vastly different players? For instance, I will have the option of choosing between Reyes and MCab . I was leaning towards MCab because of his dual eligibility and greater power numbers. Would this be faulty logic if we use OPS instead of AVG in our league?

Makes perfect sense...if you have two players close in value and then you add another category to the scoring and 1 is quite a bit better in that category you will go with that player. MCab is borderline a better option than Reyes as it is...adding OPS for sure puts him above Reyes, IMHO.

How far up would you move Howard and Dunn with this format? Does Howard deserve consideration that high in the draft?
C M. Montero
1B AGonz
2B Uggla
3B Zimmermann
SS Jeter
Util Kendrys Morales
BN Pena
DL Gardner
SP Gallardo, Bumgarner, Latos, Zimmermann, Luebke, Jaime Garcia, Hughes, Burnett
socceryank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby J35J » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:51 am

socceryank wrote:
J35J wrote:

How far up would you move Howard and Dunn with this format? Does Howard deserve consideration that high in the draft?

I have yet to look at rankings based on OPS yet....the leagues I'm doing at the moment don't use it as a category so I haven't looked much into it yet to say how much Dunn moves up....others can probably say better than I at the moment. Howard is already a first rounder as it is so he may move up a couple spots but he can't get much higher than he already is.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:18 pm

I ran the numbers for my league replacing AVG with OPS (so 5x5 with OPS) and Howard was ranked #4 using Chone.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby socceryank » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:02 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:I ran the numbers for my league replacing AVG with OPS (so 5x5 with OPS) and Howard was ranked #4 using Chone.

Who were the top three? Pujols was #1 I'm sure.
C M. Montero
1B AGonz
2B Uggla
3B Zimmermann
SS Jeter
Util Kendrys Morales
BN Pena
DL Gardner
socceryank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:52 pm

socceryank wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:I ran the numbers for my league replacing AVG with OPS (so 5x5 with OPS) and Howard was ranked #4 using Chone.

Who were the top three? Pujols was #1 I'm sure.

I deleted it, but it was Pujols and ARod 1/2. I forget 3.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers