Rate this 50-player DEEP team - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Rate this 50-player DEEP team

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rate this 50-player DEEP team

Postby gore51 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:47 pm

This is a 50-man roster (25 active, 25 reserve) with 30 teams. Not fantasy exactly, uses projections created by Dan Szymborski (baseballthinkfactory.org). Well, here we go:

SP:
Kyle Lohse
Jeremy Bonderman
Joe Blanton
Jason Marquis
Eric Hacker
reserve
Zach Duke
Jeremy Jeffress
Radhames Liz
Matt Chico
Kason Gabbard
Mark Rogers

RP:
Francisco Cordero
Frank Francisco
Justin Hampson
Bobby Seay
Bill Bray
Mike MacDougal
reserve
Chris Britton
Eric Gagne
C.J. Wilson
Boone Logan
Humberto Sanchez
Brian Slocum

C:
Eliezer Alfonzo
John Buck
reserve
Pete LaForest
J.R. Towles

1B:
Joey Votto
Daryle Ward
reserve
Lars Anderson
Kyle Blanks

2B/SS:
Omar Infante
Nick Punto
Callix Crabbe
reserve
Chris Burke
Sean Rodriguez
Carlos Triunfel

3B:
Bill Hall
reserve
Neil Walker

OF:
Milton Bradley
Nelson Cruz
Ben Francisco
Coco Crisp
Chris Dickerson
reserve
Michael Bourn
Andrew McCutchen
Wladimir Balentien

I have 7 picks in a 3 round draft in June as well.

If you rate this, I will rate you team
gore51
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rate this 50-player DEEP team

Postby smoothcats13 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:03 pm

Kinda weird leauge, but here it goes. Good OF, weak 3B, decent MI - but slightly weak, good 1B, decent C, good RP and enough SP to be solid. You really need another option at 3B, who knows how long Hall will be starting. You have enough options at C for it to work. You'll get enough ABs at MI for it too work. You're best position is OF. Plenty of depth and good reserves.
smoothcats13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby gore51 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:22 pm

I must agree, partially. Right now, OF is my best position. But overall, 1B is huge for me. Votto is a stud and is signed for 5-7 years on my team. Lars Anderson is a Top-15 prospect and one of the top 2 1B prospects in MLB and is signed for 7-9 years. Kyle Blanks is also signed for 7-9 years and is a top-100 prospect. So in a couple of years my OF should be Dickerson, Cruz, Bradley, McCutchen, Bourn, and Balentien so I guess I am strong there too.
gore51
College Coach
College Coach

Postby S27 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:41 pm

Thanks for the reply.

It's tough to gauge how good your team is without anything to compare it to in the unusual format. SP stands out as a potential weakness (but I'm not sure what the other teams' look like in comparison). Your OF and 1B situations look strong.

If I were you, I'd be looking to solidify your starting pitching and middle infield in the June draft.
S27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 18)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby gore51 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:55 pm

Hmm, interesting. My plan for the draft is SP, maybe a C, maybe a 3B, maybe a MI, maybe an OF. The only thing I am sure of is taking a few SP. My MI right now is weak, but Sean Rodriguez is a potential 2B starter, and Carlos Triunfel is a top-50 prospect by many accounts. Jeffress and Liz are possible candidates, but both may end up moving to CL/SU types.

Other teams have much stronger SP, but not all. For example, the best team in the league (In my opinion) has B. Webb, B. Sheets, Y. Gallardo, C. Kershaw, S. Hill, and Z. Greinke (crazy good).

However, a not as good team has Freddy Garcia, C. Gaudin, F. Morales, J. Suppan, D. Braden, and A. Gallaraga

And a much worse team has, Chris Young, J. Moyer, Jorge Campillo, Alfredo Aceves, and Troy Patton so it is all a matter of strengths and weaknesses (however, the first team I mentioned doesn't have many weaknesses... they also have McCann, Furcal, Kinsler, D. Wright, Bill Butler, Seth Smith, Delmon Young, Vernon Wells, and Travis Snider, crazy I know).
gore51
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Rockfan616 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:15 am

You definitely need some starting pitching and also a 3B and maybe another catcher. You're relief pitching is good and so is your 1B and OF. But those are the areas I would concentrate on in your midseason draft. I've never heard of this kind of league, does it keep track of minor league stats as well as the major leaguers?? Let me know I'm curious about it, and thanks for your help on my team as well. ;-D
Rockfan616
College Coach
College Coach

Postby gore51 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:32 am

Well I'm glad you are interested. No, unfortunately it does not keep of your minor league stats. In fact, it doesn't keep track of any stats. This type of league I am in is called a simulation league. It uses a simulator made by Diamond Mind Baseball (DMB). Each player has projected stats, my league has been using stat projections by Dan Szymborski at Baseball Think Factory. Your team is in divisions (I am in the NL Central, in the league, this is by far the toughest division) and you play 162 games (just like real life). Then playoffs and whatnot. In the offseason, there is free agency, and in June there is an amateur draft. Drafted players are signed to 6-8 year initial contracts whose money value is based off there performance in the sim. Veteran (players signed in FA) have contracts ranging from 1-7 years and everything. It is very cool. If you have any more questions post let me know.
gore51
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Rockfan616 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:25 am

That's interesting, Diamond Mind Baseball huh?? I'll have to check it out, sounds like it could be fun. Is there a website for it somewhere?? The one thing I want to know though is if it doesn't keep track of stats, how do you know who wins the league?? Projections are not always 100% accurate so this is very different. One guy I would keep in mind is Philippe Aumont of the Mariners, he might already be taken on another team but he looked pretty nasty vs. the US team yesterday in the WBC. Getting out David Wright, Kevin Youkilis, and Curtis Granderson in order with the bases loaded is no easy task for anyone LET ALONE a guy who pitched in A ball last year!! ;-D
Rockfan616
College Coach
College Coach

Postby gore51 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:47 am

Aumont is already on a team. He was taken by the Braves with the 29th overall pick last season. I think there is a list of leagues on the DMB site but I can't be certain. The way you win a league is the same way you win the World Series. Your team needs to either win your division or a wild card, then win 2 round of playoffs, then win a round in the World Series. The projections give averages of what will happen each play, and the DMB software creates a game (complete with box score). It's really cool
gore51
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Rockfan616 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:57 am

That does sound pretty cool, like an online version of Strat-O-Matic baseball....or like a sim game. Any website link I could check out?? Post it if so OK man?? Thanks!!
Rockfan616
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team