New Managers added to Keeper League - What to do? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

New Managers added to Keeper League - What to do?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

New Managers added to Keeper League - What to do?

Postby phorts » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:45 pm

Hey everyone. Got a question that may have already been asked/answered but i couldnt find anything:

Yahoo! Plus League
5x5 Stats
12 Managers

We had a 10 Man league last year and going into this year we decided that we would like to do a keeper league and start this year by keeping 1 player from last year and lose the pick for the round that the player was initially drafted. If undrafted, you would lose your last pick.

Now, that works great for everyone that was in the league last year, but what about the 2 new managers? Who do they get to keep?

One solution that was suggested was that the 2 new managers get to select from the remaining player pool after all the returning managers get to keep theirs. I think that works OK, except that it's a little unfair that the returning managers only get to select from their teams, while the new managers get to select from any player.

One other solution is to have each manager select their keeper based on either their random draft order placement, or their respective finish in last years place. So, the last place would get last keeper. I dont really like this way because it puts not value on drafting and keeping good prospects on your team throughout the year.

What are other people doing?
phorts
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: New Managers added to Keeper League - What to do?

Postby Curtis Pride » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:51 pm

It's not unfair to the existing owners. If another team has two better keepers than their one (well, first T.S. - you suck as a manager, and second) they can trade with them for the second.

The "expansion draft" is not only the best - but by far the easiest way to do it.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby phorts » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:01 pm

Curtis Pride wrote:It's not unfair to the existing owners. If another team has two better keepers than their one (well, first T.S. - you suck as a manager, and second) they can trade with them for the second.

The "expansion draft" is not only the best - but by far the easiest way to do it.

Well, my statement that it is unfair to the returning managers is not that they may have many good keeper options, it's that they only get to select from their own team, while the new expansion managers get to select from ALL teams (after the first keeper is taken).

But, i guess if the supposed best value keeps for each team are taken, then the expansion managers really shouldnt have the cream of the crop to choose from, unless one team has a crop of good selections (Lincy taken in the 10th and Kinsler in the 14th on one team)

So... i think that's the way we'll go, just wondering what everyone else has done/is doing.

thanks for your input
phorts
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Curtis Pride » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:06 pm

Yeah, that's my point. Each owner gets to pick THE BEST keeper on their own team. The expansion guys only get the pick The best out of the those that nobody wants.

If one existing team has Lincecum in the 15th and Ervin in the 25th, while another existing team's best keeper is Rich Harden in the 9th. Then the team with Harden can still work out a trade for Ervin or Lincecum.

That said, if you are making a league a keeper league, it's best to start fresh than to glom onto last season (when people weren't drafting for a keeper league)

However, in the end, one keeper - no matter how good or bad is not going to make much difference in any league.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby phorts » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:15 pm

Ok i get yer point. Cool. Yeah, we've been tossing around the idea for few years and never got it going so i figured starting off with just 1 keeper this year and then move onto 2 next year...

Thanks again for your help.
phorts
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Commissioner's Corner