Play for this year... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Play for this year...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Play for this year...

Postby C2ThaLo88 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:12 pm

The general strategy is to play to win this season, and prepare for the future...in the future. That being said, in a keeper league, can you really let guys like Jay Bruce, Justin Upton, and those other high ceiling guys go? Is there a certain cut off point when you stop thinking about this season only? Does anything change if there are no restrictions on keepers?
C2ThaLo88 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Play for this year...

Postby Yoda » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:15 pm

You generally want to grab a guy or two like Bruce or Upton but don't go too crazy. Remember that Delmon and Gordon were supposed to be as sure of a thing as you can get. Just make sure you don't have too many unknown commodities in your line up but if you do end up with them then make sure you have good back ups.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:16 pm

Unless you need a MAJOR overhaul, always have a crack.
There are too many people obsessed with constant rebuild/sexy prospects and don't get the rush of contending.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 16)

Postby CadensDad » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:21 pm

Depends if it's h2h or roto,

In roto to me if your more than 12 points back 2 weeks before the trade deadline (In your league) it's time to rebuild. Start trying to move some vets for younger talent. In my keeper league last year I moved H-ram and ludwick for Corey Hart, Cole Hamels and Chase Utley, I gave up 1 keeper to get 3

In h2h it a bit more tough, but if you know you can't catch the top 4 teams in the playoffs you should make any trades that will help you next year. But 80% of the time in h2h you don't know your out until it's too late

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby j24jags » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:06 pm

It also depends on how many keepers you have. If the league only has 5 keepers per team you can't afford to keep Justin Upton, but if there are 10 or 12 or 15 keepers you can definitely afford to take chances on one, two, maybe even three top prospects/high upside guys.
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:47 pm

Both Upton and Bruce are so talented they should be able to help you this year. If you're beginning a keeper league with at least 8 or 10 keepers it's going to be worth it to pay up for these guys. Nobody's a sure thing, but players like these could very well turn into superstars.

I think some people get a little carried away in keeper leagues when they start jumping on guys like Lars Anderson, Alonso, Adenhart, etc in the middle and later rounds of drafts. Certainly you want to keep an eye on these players but you'd likely be better off going with a fairly proven veteran where you know what you're going to get. A lot of times top prospects will start slow and you'll have a chance to trade for them or grab them off the WW at a discount later on.

Just keep it within reason. Loading up on prospects isn't a good idea and neither is completely ignoring them.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Matthias » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:18 pm

I would say generally people over-emphasize young and upside in keeper leagues than under-appreciate them. People talk about planning for 3-5 years out or whatever and if you're in a league that's been around for a few years, that might make sense. But most leagues, and most owners, don't last that long. I'm not sure exactly how you draw the line or say that such-and-such is a good emphasis versus bad emphasis or whatever but I wouldn't worry too much about passing up young guys who are great keepers because the natural inclination is too go too far in that direction.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Element » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:52 pm

Matthias wrote:I would say generally people over-emphasize young and upside in keeper leagues than under-appreciate them. People talk about planning for 3-5 years out or whatever and if you're in a league that's been around for a few years, that might make sense. But most leagues, and most owners, don't last that long. I'm not sure exactly how you draw the line or say that such-and-such is a good emphasis versus bad emphasis or whatever but I wouldn't worry too much about passing up young guys who are great keepers because the natural inclination is too go too far in that direction.

Not only this, but every season brings along several new prospects. There are always these guys out there. If you keep less than 35-40% of your roster, I advise that you keep only the best players for the upcoming season (using potential as a tiebreaker). We only keeper 7 in my auction league. There have been several owners rebuilding for the past 2-3 years. I unloaded all of my freezes two years ago to clinch a championship. This year, I have too many quality options.

For redrafts or anyone looking to make a run this season, draft smart early by selecting good players with solid track records. Take your risks after round 12. By then, your starting lineup should be formed for the most part.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 791)

Postby C2ThaLo88 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:04 pm

Question spun from smart drafting... How early is too early for Wieters if you are buying the hype?
C2ThaLo88 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers