Anybody play baseball? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Anybody play baseball?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Anybody play baseball?

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu May 14, 2009 7:33 pm

Wow, I seem to have forgotten how to throw a baseball. If I throw anything above a Cla Meredith slot my arm hurts, including OF throws, infield throws, and pitches. I used to settle in at a Pedro Martinez arm angle and throw 150 pitches before this pain settled in. :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ FML
Image

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Posts: 8618
Joined: 4 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: we don't burn gasoline, we burn our dreams

Re: Anybody play baseball?

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu May 14, 2009 10:12 pm

acsguitar wrote:I played in the NABA here in Denver for 3 years. Too expensive this year. Had a good time. Woodbat league FTW


acs is back in GT? 8-o ;-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 11421
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Re: Anybody play baseball?

Postby acsguitar » Fri May 15, 2009 5:46 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:Wow, I seem to have forgotten how to throw a baseball. If I throw anything above a Cla Meredith slot my arm hurts, including OF throws, infield throws, and pitches. I used to settle in at a Pedro Martinez arm angle and throw 150 pitches before this pain settled in. :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ FML



My shoulder is totally jacked. I play 1B now even though I'm like 5'9. I can still run and hit though so thats good
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Re: Anybody play baseball?

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri May 15, 2009 5:55 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:Wow, I seem to have forgotten how to throw a baseball. If I throw anything above a Cla Meredith slot my arm hurts, including OF throws, infield throws, and pitches. I used to settle in at a Pedro Martinez arm angle and throw 150 pitches before this pain settled in. :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ FML



My shoulder is totally jacked. I play 1B now even though I'm like 5'9. I can still run and hit though so thats good


I have a hereditary issue with my shoulder and can no longer throw overhand without it being useless (and very painful) for the rest of the game and for a couple days. I can't get a ton of distance on it because of this so I'm infield for good. It doesn't interfere with any other aspect of my game though.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 11421
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Re: Anybody play baseball?

Postby josebach » Fri May 15, 2009 6:03 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:Wow, I seem to have forgotten how to throw a baseball. If I throw anything above a Cla Meredith slot my arm hurts, including OF throws, infield throws, and pitches. I used to settle in at a Pedro Martinez arm angle and throw 150 pitches before this pain settled in. :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ FML



My shoulder is totally jacked. I play 1B now even though I'm like 5'9. I can still run and hit though so thats good


I have a hereditary issue with my shoulder and can no longer throw overhand without it being useless (and very painful) for the rest of the game and for a couple days. I can't get a ton of distance on it because of this so I'm infield for good. It doesn't interfere with any other aspect of my game though.


Add me to that list. I went to take some BP about a year ago and was pumped because I hit several balls out of a pretty big park. (330 down the line, 415 in center) That was until my left shoulder popped out from swinging so hard. It's bothered me ever since and I'm scared to go hitting again. On top of that, I used to have a cannon when I played and when I was throwing my arm felt like jello it was so weak. It was a really weird feeling. I liken it to going to a gym and only being able to bench 135 after previously benching 300.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2036
Joined: 27 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tallahassee

Re: Anybody play baseball?

Postby cnote23 » Fri May 15, 2009 6:09 pm

I played with Lyle Overbay through most of Highschool then they wanted me to focus just on football played that only got a Scholarship to play for Central Washington U. Lost it by a back injury my senior year in a football playoff game.
cnote23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafecaster
Posts: 620
(Past Year: 15)
Joined: 15 Jul 2008
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Anybody play baseball?

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri May 15, 2009 7:02 pm

josebach wrote:Add me to that list. I went to take some BP about a year ago and was pumped because I hit several balls out of a pretty big park. (330 down the line, 415 in center) That was until my left shoulder popped out from swinging so hard. It's bothered me ever since and I'm scared to go hitting again. On top of that, I used to have a cannon when I played and when I was throwing my arm felt like jello it was so weak. It was a really weird feeling. I liken it to going to a gym and only being able to bench 135 after previously benching 300.


Everyone on my mom's side of the family has this specific shoulder issue. A few have almost had surgery to fix it. I have yet to look too into it to find out exactly what the problem is, but from what I understand it eventually goes away. Really weird. And it's just one shoulder. It's been so bad that I can't lift it over my head or shift. Very frustrating.

Another thing to consider for parents out there is don't put your child in track. Or, at least, be very cautious and taken necessary steps to prevent injury if you do. I have pretty constant knee pain, especially after a lot of running, and my brother simply can't even run anymore. He was at a church function not too long ago and was sitting and chatting with 3 other men, all of whom ran (5K, 10K, marathons, etc.). The kicker is my brother was the only one at that table who ran competitively as a kid. And he was the only one at that table who could no longer run. So take special precautions if your kid wants to run track. If you don't, it could have lingering effects later in life. I can still run, but I usually feel it the next day, especially walking down stairs. I don't run like I used to, even last year, when I was running miles a day, but I'm fortunate that I can still run at all.

Jose, like you were scared to hit because of the shoulder, so I am scared to stop on a dime when fielding a ball. Afraid my knee will just give way. I've been taking this chondrotin stuff and I thought it was working, and maybe it is a bit, but with all the yard work, coupled with general playing with the kids, coupled with baseball, they're regularly achy again. Oh, my brother's 29. I'm 30.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 11421
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Re: Anybody play baseball?

Postby acsguitar » Fri May 15, 2009 7:48 pm

Did I ever mention I have 2 life time hits against Joe Saunders
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Re: Anybody play baseball?

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri May 15, 2009 7:57 pm

acsguitar wrote:Did I ever mention I have 2 life time hits against Joe Saunders


What? You will need to elaborate. :-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 11421
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Re: Anybody play baseball?

Postby josebach » Fri May 15, 2009 8:06 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Jose, like you were scared to hit because of the shoulder, so I am scared to stop on a dime when fielding a ball. Afraid my knee will just give way. I've been taking this chondrotin stuff and I thought it was working, and maybe it is a bit, but with all the yard work, coupled with general playing with the kids, coupled with baseball, they're regularly achy again. Oh, my brother's 29. I'm 30.

Glucosamine chondroitin, I'm guessing. I used to take that for my bad knee. I've had 3 surgeries on my bad knee including ACL reconstruction. I feel for ya, trust me. If you get a chance, try mountain biking. Biking is MUCH easier on the knees because of the low impact and it's still a really good workout. ;-D

Oh yeah, and fun!
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2036
Joined: 27 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tallahassee

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 21:12 hours
(and 95 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact