Anybody play baseball? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Anybody play baseball?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Anybody play baseball?

Postby Neato Torpedo » Fri May 15, 2009 8:10 pm

college baseball
Last edited by Neato Torpedo on Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri May 15, 2009 8:23 pm

josebach wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Jose, like you were scared to hit because of the shoulder, so I am scared to stop on a dime when fielding a ball. Afraid my knee will just give way. I've been taking this chondrotin stuff and I thought it was working, and maybe it is a bit, but with all the yard work, coupled with general playing with the kids, coupled with baseball, they're regularly achy again. Oh, my brother's 29. I'm 30.

Glucosamine chondroitin, I'm guessing. I used to take that for my bad knee. I've had 3 surgeries on my bad knee including ACL reconstruction. I feel for ya, trust me. If you get a chance, try mountain biking. Biking is MUCH easier on the knees because of the low impact and it's still a really good workout. ;-D

Oh yeah, and fun!

Yeah, we're bikers, though nothing too extreme. We do a few rides in the 15 mile range every year. That'll probably be increasing as my boy gets older, but I agree, biking is a great thing to get into. As a matter of fact, my brother bikes regularly and we're talking in the 70+ mile range. He's got a bike that's worth more than most cars I think. I'm encouraging my son to get into swimming. He's an exceptional swimmer (something he did not get from me :-b :-B ) and it's an incredible work out, all the benefits of running, and none of the abuse on the joints.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby acsguitar » Sat May 16, 2009 2:14 pm

acsguitar wrote:Did I ever mention I have 2 life time hits against Joe Saunders

He played for West Springfiled High School and also in the same American Legion league as me. I also played in the Legion All Star game with him.

His ball moved a ton and he was throwing 90 or so In high school. He really wasn't intimidating to hit against but the speed and movement tended to make him miss the sweet spot of the bat.

I also hit against Seth McClung who is the most intimidating pitcher I ever faced. We traveled to West Virgina and beat him 11-2. There must have been 50 scouts there and he was hitting 96 on the gun. The guy grunted every time he threw the ball. I went 0-4 with 2 k's but put 2 hit and runs in play so thats good.

We also one the State Championship against Greenbrier Christian Academy in '98. I think The uptons played that year or the year after. Can't remember.

I was good at baseball I played 75-80 games a year during high school. But alas I'm a 5'9 180 guy who hurt his shoulder and is good at getting on base with singles, walks, and hustle. So career = over.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby KCollins1304 » Sat May 16, 2009 11:55 pm

acsguitar wrote:

We also one the State Championship against Greenbrier Christian Academy in '98. I think The uptons played that year or the year after. Can't remember.

What high school did you play for ACS? I'm from the same area as Greenbriar and my school(Broadwater Academy on the other side of the Chesepeake Bay) has played them some over the years. I was the batboy(my dad was headcoach from about '90-'01) when we lost the state championship to them in '96 at ODU. As far as the Uptons, I know that BJ graduated from Greenbriar and Justin graduated from Great Bridge or First Colonial maybe though I'm not sure if they switched schools throughout their high school years.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Grouperman941 » Sun May 17, 2009 12:22 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote: I'm encouraging my son to get into swimming. He's an exceptional swimmer (something he did not get from me :-b :-B ) and it's an incredible work out, all the benefits of running, and none of the abuse on the joints.

Haven't heard of swimmer's shoulder?

I used to swim between football season and baseball season. Swimming at a high level can be very tough on shoulders and hips. Not a reason to stay away from competitive swimming though, if your kids enjoy it.

Looking back, I am sure some of the nagging problems (knees mostly) I have stem from my coaches not having a clue about stretching -- especially baseball coaches, but football and swimming too.

My closest baseball league is a 45 minute commute, so I don't play anymore.

And on the topic of war stories, I hit a double off Scott Burrell (would have been an HR if there were fences) who was drafted by Toronto but went to UConn for hoops.
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Mugrila » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:00 pm

Well we've had two games so far and we're 2-0. I've played C and 2b, and have gone 2/3 with a BB, a HBP, and no K's. Not bad for being pretty rusty.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:04 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

What high school did you play for ACS? I'm from the same area as Greenbriar and my school(Broadwater Academy on the other side of the Chesepeake Bay) has played them some over the years. I was the batboy(my dad was headcoach from about '90-'01) when we lost the state championship to them in '96 at ODU. As far as the Uptons, I know that BJ graduated from Greenbriar and Justin graduated from Great Bridge or First Colonial maybe though I'm not sure if they switched schools throughout their high school years.

I played for Bishop O'Connell in Arlington, VA. We beat Greenbriar on an appeal play at third in 98 at ODU
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby KCollins1304 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:03 am

acsguitar wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:
acsguitar wrote:We also one the State Championship against Greenbrier Christian Academy in '98. I think The uptons played that year or the year after. Can't remember.

I played for Bishop O'Connell in Arlington, VA. We beat Greenbriar on an appeal play at third in 98 at ODU

I've heard of Bishop O'Connell before, though I'm not sure if Broadwater ever played them. I bet it was great beating Greenbriar, their coaches were a bunch of douchebags.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:16 am

KCollins1304 wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:

I've heard of Bishop O'Connell before, though I'm not sure if Broadwater ever played them. I bet it was great beating Greenbriar, their coaches were a bunch of douchebags.

Yea it was amazing. They hit a sac fly to win the game but the guy on third left WAY WAY WAY early. We appealed it and won the next inning.
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby sliders51 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:44 am

I played baseball in HS and have played in adult leagues since then. I was out for about 4 months this year with a bum shoulder and I'm just getting my velocity back. Weird thing is that I can locate my curve very well, but fastball command has been off. I still throw a lot of strikes but some of them are catching a lot of the plate.

My line this past sunday: 3 IP, 4 Hits, 1 BB (the dude was like 5' 2), 5 Ks (4 on the curve, 1 on FB)

I had pain on the anterior part of the shoulder, could've been the biceps tendon, and I was advised to ice it and not throw for a few months. I've been throwing for about a month now and I feel some discomfort when I start warming up at short distances, but not at all when I pitch full speed or I play long toss. Has anyone gone through this before and should I be worried?
sliders51
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk