You guys are nuts.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Arod to miss 10 weeks

Postby rib217 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:16 pm

....and then paid a doctor to go along with the theory by slicing open his hip and playing around in there for a little while to make the story a little more solid...... :-t
rib217
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:21 pm

so this is like jordan being suspended by being sent to minor league baseball by david stern?
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Matthias » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:03 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:so this is like jordan being suspended by being sent to minor league baseball by david stern?

that was exactly what i was thinking of; prevent him from being embarrassed by being suspended for gambling.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Cobra_Kai » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:26 pm

rib217 wrote:....and then paid a doctor to go along with the theory by slicing open his hip and playing around in there for a little while to make the story a little more solid...... :-t

Have you seen the video of the surgery? How does anyone know that this surgery actually took place? The Yanks have a ton of money, do you really think they couldn't afford to pay a doctor to lie?

Here's another thing - the Yanks were claiming that A-Rod had this "hip problem" last season. If that's the case, once they fell out of playoff contention, why didn't they shut him down? Or at the least, why not have the surgery immediately following the surgery? It's very strange that all of a sudden, right as the news about him having used steroids in the past broke, he suddenly needed surgery that would keep him out a couple of months.

It makes more sense than anyone wants to admit. It certainly makes more sense than a team keeping their star 3B (one of the best players in the league) on the field with an injury when they fall out of playoff contention, or not having the surgery right away so they have him for the whole season (which is expected to be as tough a season as anyone's seen, with the AL East being so stacked and all) instead of him missing the first month or two.
Cobra_Kai
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby killertofu2222 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:36 pm

this is the stupidest thing i've ever heard. why would they make up an injury and surgery to sideline their best player for a couple months just so that the heat from the steroid issue would die down? the guy plays in new york, like he hasnt handled the media before...
that makes no sense for a team who pays him 28 million dollars a year, especially in this economy. the steroid issue was a big deal, but not worth his salary to make up an injury.

"We can't stop here. This is BAT country!"
killertofu2222
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: I come from the land where the ocean's freeze, spent 3 long months on the open seas

Postby Cobra_Kai » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:38 pm

killertofu2222 wrote:this is the stupidest thing i've ever heard. why would they make up an injury and surgery to sideline their best player for a couple months just so that the heat from the steroid issue would die down? the guy plays in new york, like he hasnt handled the media before...
that makes no sense for a team who pays him 28 million dollars a year, especially in this economy. the steroid issue was a big deal, but not worth his salary to make up an injury.

Why wouldn't he have had this surgery at the beginning of the offseason? Makes no sense.

And for a team who thrives so much on public perception (how often do you hear about the "Yankee Mystique"?) it doesn't seem at all unreasonable to take such measures to protect themselves. Right now, A-Rod has denied using while he was a Yankee...but he's going to be under stricter scrutiny this season. If he gets caught, and it turns out the Yankees a) knew and b kept quiet, and didn't do anything about it, they're going to get in trouble.

As far as conspiracy theories go, it makes perfect sense.
Cobra_Kai
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Irish » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:00 pm

Cobra_Kai wrote:As far as conspiracy theories go, it makes perfect sense.

Yeah, but as far as reality goes.....
BILL HALL EN FUEGO!
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby killertofu2222 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:03 pm

still, i think they'd rather have him in the lineup hitting everyday for the beginning of the season helping them win games..steroid issue or not. if i paid someone 28 million dollars a year, i would pray to god he didnt get hurt.

put yourself in hanks shoes. imagine if they actually were pretending he had an injury and people found out. how embarrassing does that make you and your organization look? i don't think hed risk that.

"We can't stop here. This is BAT country!"
killertofu2222
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: I come from the land where the ocean's freeze, spent 3 long months on the open seas

Postby Matthias » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:12 am

Alex Rodriguez is reporting to the Yankees' minor league facility in Tampa Bay on Monday, per the NY Post.
BALTIMORE -- Alex Rodriguez is less than a week away from taking the biggest rehab step yet when he reports to the Yankees' minor league complex in Tampa.

"I believe he will be in Tampa Monday and at that point start baseball activity," Joe Girardi said yesterday.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates