Roto Target Numbers? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Roto Target Numbers?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Roto Target Numbers?

Postby Dr. StrangeGlove » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:59 am

I was curious as to what methods some people use in roto leagues to figure out target numbers for each category (ie to finish top 3-4 in each category). Ive been studying the historical numbers in one of my leagues trying to figure out what the averages are for each category and wandering what is a realistic goal to aim for?

Thanks
Dr. StrangeGlove
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Roto Target Numbers?

Postby DaShiz23 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:21 am

I was wondering the same thing. I was also wondering if there is a formula to use once your # of starters increases?
I have been using the average for each category/player to find my target.
.286 83 24 84 10 sound nice?
I haven't been able to find any past 'goals', and these #s I came up with is for 12 starters.
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 66)

Postby Yoda » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:24 am

If you know the historical stats of your league then it is easy to figure out the target. Take the best numbers from each category and divide it by the # of starting players/pitchers for each year. That should give you an idea of what it takes to win each cat.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:11 am

I do as others note in my keeper league and track the stats over the years. I have generally been able to guess the right numbers within just a few. Rotoauthority has a series called what it takes to win that provides their estimates for a typical league. There's also a old thread here in the Cafe where I put together data from about 60 leagues (it's pretty rough). I'm blanking on the thread name right now, but it'll come to me.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:15 am

Knew I could find it:

Two recent threads that have referenced the Cafe thread and other estimates:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=365041&hilit=roto+points+needed+to+win

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=330740&hilit=research
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Dr. StrangeGlove » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:09 am

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:Knew I could find it:

Two recent threads that have referenced the Cafe thread and other estimates:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=365041&hilit=roto+points+needed+to+win

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=330740&hilit=research

Thanks for digging up those threads ;-D
Dr. StrangeGlove
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:22 am

Sportsline now shows the history of what won each cat in previous years...not sure if you can go back and check the full standings or not...i didnt try
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby TheRock » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:41 pm

I've been pondering on this subject a bit lately, I'm interested to hear some input.

It seems the numbers needed to win, while helpful, aren't necessarily realistic ones to use as targets. Final numbers from actual leagues will include stats from bench player used when studs were off, fill-in players used during injuries, "hot" pickups off the wire (let's be honest, guys that were hot, we picked them up then dropped them 2 weeks later because astonishingly they weren't hot anymore), players traded away etc. etc. What I'm saying is you can't take your starting lineup and expect that they'll produce what you saw in practice from previous seasons. Or can you? I dunno, never tried to compare.

Ideally, I think what you would want would be average team production in each category and standard deviation. I'm assuming team production would be normally distributed. Can't think why it wouldn't be. So most teams will be clustered together fairly near the average. A point or two here or there can make a big difference in the standings. Once you approach the outliers, first or last in any category, the differences get bigger. So the most efficient means of placing the highest overall would be to narrowly beat out as many teams as possible in as many categories as possible. I'm assuming this where the targeted third in each cat theory comes from. So target numbers to win would be inflated over what your true target number should be.

Am I thinking along the right lines?
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Fade2White12 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:50 pm

Buser wrote an article for Yahoo! two years ago examining this same question in relation to leagues using Yahoo! defaults.

Click me! ;-D
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 72)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:57 pm

TheRock wrote:I've been pondering on this subject a bit lately, I'm interested to hear some input.

It seems the numbers needed to win, while helpful, aren't necessarily realistic ones to use as targets. Final numbers from actual leagues will include stats from bench player used when studs were off, fill-in players used during injuries, "hot" pickups off the wire (let's be honest, guys that were hot, we picked them up then dropped them 2 weeks later because astonishingly they weren't hot anymore), players traded away etc. etc. What I'm saying is you can't take your starting lineup and expect that they'll produce what you saw in practice from previous seasons. Or can you? I dunno, never tried to compare.

Ideally, I think what you would want would be average team production in each category and standard deviation. I'm assuming team production would be normally distributed. Can't think why it wouldn't be. So most teams will be clustered together fairly near the average. A point or two here or there can make a big difference in the standings. Once you approach the outliers, first or last in any category, the differences get bigger. So the most efficient means of placing the highest overall would be to narrowly beat out as many teams as possible in as many categories as possible. I'm assuming this where the targeted third in each cat theory comes from. So target numbers to win would be inflated over what your true target number should be.

Am I thinking along the right lines?

To answer a few things you raise:
1. Yes, team totals for each cat should follow a normal distribution.
2. Your estimate of your own team's performance has to take into account your fill-ins, etc. You can do this either by taking into account your starters estimated playing time in games/ABs/IPs and then including an estimate your bench production (either based on who you drafted or the replacement player for your league size) for the remaining games/ABs/IPs
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Return to Baseball Leftovers