Best Draft position?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Best Draft position??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Best Draft position??

Postby saemick » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:51 am

I've heard a lot of theories on this, and I guess there REALLY isn't a best or worst draft spot as long as you make smart pics throughout, but I'm looking for opinions.

I personally like the 4th or 5th spot this year since there seems to be an elite selection of players in the top 5 spots and a decent drop-off after that. That is only considering the 1st round, but I'm looking to see what you all think about the best position as a whole.

thoughts??
saemick
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Best Draft position??

Postby jmurphy_j » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:05 am

I agree with you. This year, there is a clear top 5. You really can't go wrong getting any of those guys. So my ideal position this season is 5th. You will get one of those elite guys, and then your 2nd pick is still in the top 20 (in a 12 team league).

But you are also right that there is no best or worst draft position. You can put together a great team from any position, and you can have a disasterous draft from any position.
jmurphy_j
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby woodson_28 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:56 am

I'd prefer 1-3 or 10 (in a 10 man league - as I like the corner).

However, I'd also be comfortable with the 8th spot. From there, you'd get who ever was left out of Sizemore, M.Cabrera and Ryan Braun. And on the swing around you still have a shot at Tex, Howard or Rollins, or Kinsler/Utley - you could go anywhere.

The 9th spot is the worse IMO, as the was the spot I drew in one of my leagues. It's just so wide open there. Who to go w/? Hamilton, Howard, Rollins, J.Santana, etc...
woodson_28
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AllDay » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:06 am

I'll take the first spot. Top 5 I'd be happy, too. I don't like the 9-12 spots.

I start to dislike some of the options too far outside my top 25 so picking first gives me the most dynamic 5 cat player in the game at the shallowest position and gives me the best shot at landing 3 of my top 20-25.

Around 20-25 names like Pedroia, Youkalis, Quentin, an older Ichiro or Vlad come into play. Not trying to rip on these guys - there's just other players I like a lot mixed among those names.
AllDay
College Coach
College Coach

Postby socceryank » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:17 am

I usually don't worry about my spot, but this year I really like #4, which is what I got in my big money league. We use OPS as a category, so there are 4 clear top guys to choose (Reyes loses some value with our league because of the OPS). To me, anyone selected between 5-10 are fairly interchangeable, so picks 5-7 would be the least ideal in my eyes.
C M. Montero
1B AGonz
2B Uggla
3B Zimmermann
SS Jeter
OF J Upton, McCutcheon, Choo
Util Kendrys Morales
BN Pena
DL Gardner
SP Gallardo, Bumgarner, Latos, Zimmermann, Luebke, Jaime Garcia, Hughes, Burnett
RP League, Marshall, Betancourt
socceryank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Eagle Baseball » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:26 am

I'm not sure about the #4 hole. I play in a 12 team keep 5 league. I am keeping 1B, 3B, SS, OF, DH. I have beening doing mocks where I don't care about which players I get in rds 1-5 as long as they are 1B, 3B, SS, OF DH. I finished 4th last year so I will draft out of the 4 hole ( we keep 5 so in round 6 I will be drafting #9 which is when our draft actually starts ). Maybe at the top of the draft you want to be at 4 but I don't like how my draft looks from 6-12. I seem to be missing on a lot of players or positions that I want.
Eagle Baseball
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mkultra » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:11 pm

I'm increasingly convinced that draft position doesn't matter diddly. It's much more important, IMO, who you draft in rounds 11+ than in the first few.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby shawngee03 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:47 pm

well it might turn into teh top 4 spots are locks instead of the top 5.....we will have to see how far arod falls down
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:59 pm

mkultra wrote:I'm increasingly convinced that draft position doesn't matter diddly. It's much more important, IMO, who you draft in rounds 11+ than in the first few.

Agreed, and draft position matters much less in fantasy baseball than other fantasy sports. With fantasy baseball you need to have a deep understanding of the game and of many players if you want to do well. In football it's mostly about the RBs and in basketball you need to have one or two superstars (because basketball can be dominated by one man in both real life and fantasy).
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby saemick » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:57 pm

shawngee03 wrote:well it might turn into teh top 4 spots are locks instead of the top 5.....we will have to see how far arod falls down

I agree. I guess the top 5 now falls to top 4...

IMO, i'd like the 4th spot now. this way whichever of:

HanRam
Pujols
Reyes
Wright

falls to the 4th spot is who I'd take...
saemick
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers