Gordon upside vs Drew upside - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Gordon upside vs Drew upside

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Gordon upside vs Drew upside

Postby aberry33 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:32 am

So what would be considered a solid round to take Drew in? Would you be happy getting him in the 12th round?
aberry33
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J35J » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:01 am

aberry33 wrote:So what would be considered a solid round to take Drew in? Would you be happy getting him in the 12th round?

You won't see Drew last past the 10th round unless you are in an 8 team league. In 12 teamers he's anywhere from a 5th rounder to an 8th rounder, just depends on how much your leaguemates like him.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 390)

Postby Ender » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:19 pm

I agree to an extent that as far as safe projections and value picks go peralta and hardy are probably better options in 5x5. However, their upsides are not near Drews.

I'm not sure that it is. If it wasn't for a hip injury in 2007 and losing 10 lbs to an illness at the end of spring training in 2008 you very well may have seen 30 HR out of Hardy the last 2 years. Peralta has legit 25+ power as well.

I guess maybe I'm just not as high on Drew as others. It won't surprise me if Drew is the 4th best SS in fantasy baseball this year but it won't really surprise me if he is the 10th best either. Tulo, Hardy, Peralta, Jeter, Young, Drew, Furcal are all in a big lump for me. It wouldn't blow me away to see a mini spike in production that sees Tejada or Renteria worth more than Drew either. I just think after the big 3 SS that the best option is to wait on the position. Obviously not everyone agrees with me since Drew has been going in the 6th round or so.

To answer the original question though, I'd rather have Drew than Gordon. Gordon's upside this year is probably Adrian Beltre. .265ish AVG, 20ish HR, throw in 10 steals.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby j24jags » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:45 pm

aberry33 wrote:So what would be considered a solid round to take Drew in? Would you be happy getting him in the 12th round?

There's plenty of drafts around here if you really want to look into it, but J35J is right, anywhere from the 5th to the 8th is very reasonable. I personally wouldn't spend a 5th/6th on him, I think he'll produce more at the level of a 7th/8th rounder.
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers