Need Help with Yahoo Predraft Rankings - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Need Help with Yahoo Predraft Rankings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Need Help with Yahoo Predraft Rankings

Postby rchemo » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:22 pm

I need some help with the predraft list.

First off, I keep making my list, and I keep getting garbage in my mocks. Well not garbage, but nothing that I want. How do you rank your players so you get, or better yet, not get, the players on your list.

2) So say I really don't want to start out with Johann Santana, is the object to place him in the list below where the default rankings have him? Or should I start out by throwing him in the do not draft list, and start building from there? I mean if he falls to me in the late second or third round, I'd want him then, but I just don't want to start off pitcher.

3) Second, has anyone come up with a better way to make the list? Is there a greasemonkey script or something that will cut and paste my excel list into that clumsy yahoo interface?

4) Does anyone care to share their yahoo list with the me?

5) Last, Are all yahoo leagues similar? My league has 8 offensive categories, and 5 pitching categories. Am I correct in thinking this is biased towards hitters? How would you tweak the list to take advantage of it?

Thanks..

T.Bag
rchemo
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Need Help with Yahoo Predraft Rankings

Postby AllDay » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:07 am

I wouldn't put too many players in the 'do not draft' list. Only guys you know are out for an extended period. Certainly don't put a guy there you might possibly draft if he fell far enough.

If you have a spreadsheet and are putting much work into it - why aren't you doing a live draft?

If you rank Santana at #20 then you will draft 19 other players before you auto-draft him. Things change a bit in the rounds where you need to fill in 'starting positions' on your roster. For instance you will autodraft a C before a bench player no matter how large the difference in your pre-ranking. Once all position spots are filled in you should go back to autodrafitng based on your pre-rank.

A default roto league is 5x5 (AVG, R, HR, RBI, SB,) x (W, K, SV, ERA, WHIP).

Things are a little biased towards good hitters in that format (8 hitting categories vs 5 pitching). Depending on the stats certain players may be more or less valuable (especially SB guys).
AllDay
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Eagle Baseball » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:52 am

I agree with allday in that you do not want to put to many players in your do not draft.

If you do not want Santana in rd 1 just put enough hitters ahead of him so you don't get him. ie if you draft 11 just put 11 bats above him. If you keep getting him in rd 2 just do the same up until you have drafted in rd 2. Now this is tough when you do not know what your draft order is until 30 min before your draft (some like that setup but I would not participate in a league that drafts like that).

3-ranking and drafting is the best thing about fantasy sports. you need to want to put in the time to enjoy the sport.

4-most people likely will not share their rankings because they do put in the time and time is valueable. But a few have posted their rankings here just do a search and a couple will come up. Also look at the mocks here that are posted in the rankings and that will give you a good ranking.

5-yes that does favor hitting over pitching

here is a fun free site that someone posted earlier. It is fun to play around with.

http://www.lastplayerpicked.com/priceguide/

you are not an auction so just put in $0 when you are asked your total budget and min bid. Than you put in your 8 hitting stats and 5 pitching stats and you will get a value for batters & p's. Now it doesn't put them together so you will need to merge them and than set your Yahoo to the merged results if you choose.
Eagle Baseball
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rchemo » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:03 pm

Thanks for the tips guys..

If I wasn't friends with everyone in that league, I'd bail on them.

And don't ask me why they prefer that format. Not knowing your slot, and autodrafting is such BS. However, I still need to dominate their collectives butts.

Putting a number on how much more I should bump up the hitters is troublesome. I wasn't trying to glom onto someone's list, I am already waist deep in lists of my own. But I was trying to get a feel of where guys, not specific players, but groups of players should be on the list.

So far the only player I have put on the Do Not Draft, is Ben Sheets. I am waiting to see wait lies in store for A-rod..

Thanks for the advice, keep em coming..

T..
rchemo
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:49 pm

What are the 8 offensive cats and 5 pitching cats?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby rchemo » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:55 pm

Singles, doubles, triples, HRs, SB's, Runs, RBI's, AVG

Wins, K's, Saves, WHIP, ERA

See what I mean, It's almost like Ichiro should be drafted in the top 10.
rchemo
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Baseball Leftovers