Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Brian Roberts vs Alexei

Postby fezzik » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:05 am

Maris09 wrote:
DaShiz23 wrote:Did we just become best friends? :-D

:-D
Classic

One of the best movies ever.

See...I haven't seen Stepbrothers, but I think I recall that now from the previews. I guess now is the time for my sheepish apology for having the reference go over my head, resulting in my literal reply. :-/

If you had used a line from The Princess Bride I'm sure I would have picked up on it... :-b
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:32 am

fezzik wrote:
DaShiz23 wrote:I hear what you are saying. I mainly ask because I grabbed Phillips in the 3rd, and Alexie in the 5th to shore up my 2B and SS spots, and am pretty happy about it. ;-D

In my 12 team cafe league Phillips went at 3.07 and Alexei at 5.06, so that sounds about right. ;-D

Alexei went in the 4th in all my mocks.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby duckbillgates » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:05 pm

Honestly, they're within about a round of each other, so I would base it on my team's needs.

Paired with Hanley, I personally would prefer Alexei. Potentially 50/50 from your MI? Tough to pass up. Now if your first-round pick was, say, Ryan Howard, I would definitely want Roberts' SB numbers.

Roberts is certainly more of a sure thing, but I think his ceiling is lower. Alexei is just about the biggest wild card in drafts this year.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:10 pm

i say b-robs steals less, because he signed the contract. i noticed speedy guys steal less after signing a contract. (soriano, byrnes)
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Yoda » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:39 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:i say b-robs steals less, because he signed the contract. i noticed speedy guys steal less after signing a contract. (soriano, byrnes)

I don't believe that this is correct. Age probably has more to do with players slowing down than having signed a contract.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:34 pm

Yoda wrote:
BitterDodgerFan wrote:i say b-robs steals less, because he signed the contract. i noticed speedy guys steal less after signing a contract. (soriano, byrnes)

I don't believe that this is correct. Age probably has more to do with players slowing down than having signed a contract.

More like injuries in both case.
I remember Soriano was barely able to get to the next base on a basehit, for a long period after he got injured.
Byrnes is still hurt.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:23 pm

Syfo-Dyas wrote:
Yoda wrote:

More like injuries in both case.
I remember Soriano was barely able to get to the next base on a basehit, for a long period after he got injured.
Byrnes is still hurt.

Yeah both were hurt last year. Injuries are a big factor.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:46 pm

yes injuries played a part, but wouldn't anybody steal more bases before to get a big contract and then turn it down a bit after signing it? they don't need to take as much risks anymore.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby da bears » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:34 pm

I dont really think the contract would be an issue but I seem to think Ramirez just flat out has more upside than Roberts. Obviously if you need/want speed from your 2 bagger run with Roberts as some of you have said. Ramirez has some potential to put up Uggla power numbers with a higher average and some steals to top it off. I am pretty sure he didn't even have 500 at bats last year so as long as he makes the proper adjustments at the plate he should be in for a big year if you ask me. One big downside I see is his spot in the order, if he stays near the bottom like last year that'll hurt a lot but if he gets a bump up and some protection he could pay off huge.
da bears
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:58 pm

I'll take Roberts all day long here. That low BB% of Ramirez scares the crud out of me, he hasn't played a full season in the majors yet so who knows what that schedule will do to him. He was caught stealing 9 times in 22 tries and if that repeats he won't be running a lot, managers stop sending guys like that pretty fast. Ramirez has a ton of risk to him and Roberts is a sure thing and I'll take the sure things that early in the draft. He also struggled somewhat against righties especially later in the year.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers