Brian Roberts vs Alexei - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brian Roberts vs Alexei

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Brian Roberts vs Alexei

Postby j24jags » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:19 pm

I recently took Alexei in my 14 teamer, but I had B-Rob rated ahead of him and B-Rob went before him. Alexei has more upside, but if I had to guess I'd say B-Rob has the better year.
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DaShiz23 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:52 pm

Does Robert's age and recent contract signing concern anyone? I do not see a major decline, but do not see an improvement. Alexei hits in a hitters ballpark, and I think Ozzie will give him the green light whenever, as Ozzie may be fighting for his job this year. His antics may seal his fate if they do not win.
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby fezzik » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:23 pm

Roberts...but it's not because I'm exceptionally high on Roberts. I just don't think Alexei is going to do much this season...at least compared to his ADP. 2B is one of those positions where I see a huge drop off after the first two...and the variance in production I see from the third ranked 2B to the fourteenth isn't that great IMO. Certainly not large enough to warrant drafting someone 10-12 rounds earlier...but that's just me I guess. :-)
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby DaShiz23 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:31 pm

fezzik wrote:Roberts...but it's not because I'm exceptionally high on Roberts. I just don't think Alexei is going to do much this season...at least compared to his ADP. 2B is one of those positions where I see a huge drop off after the first two...and the variance in production I see from the third ranked 2B to the fourteenth isn't that great IMO. Certainly not large enough to warrant drafting someone 10-12 rounds earlier...but that's just me I guess. :-)

Does this change at all if you have Alexei as your SS? Is Alexei the obvious 2nd tier at that position after the big three?
I feel that if you draft him as this, you should have great value. IMO, Hanley, Reyes, and Rollins make up tier 1; Alexei makes up tier 2; and Drew, Furcal, Young, Tulo, Hardy, Peralta, and Jeter make up tier 3 (or however you rank this group).
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby fezzik » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:55 pm

DaShiz23 wrote:
fezzik wrote:Roberts...but it's not because I'm exceptionally high on Roberts. I just don't think Alexei is going to do much this season...at least compared to his ADP. 2B is one of those positions where I see a huge drop off after the first two...and the variance in production I see from the third ranked 2B to the fourteenth isn't that great IMO. Certainly not large enough to warrant drafting someone 10-12 rounds earlier...but that's just me I guess. :-)

Does this change at all if you have Alexei as your SS? Is Alexei the obvious 2nd tier at that position after the big three?
I feel that if you draft him as this, you should have great value. IMO, Hanley, Reyes, and Rollins make up tier 1; Alexei makes up tier 2; and Drew, Furcal, Young, Tulo, Hardy, Peralta, and Jeter make up tier 3 (or however you rank this group).

I'm just not as high on Alexei as most people are this year, so since I'm in the minority you might want to take what I have to say with a grain of salt. I'm really concerned about his SB%, OBP, and K/BB ratio...they worry me, even knowing he's been working on his base-running blah blah blah...I don't believe he's as powerful as his HR's from last year indicate either, but only time will tell.

For me I lump him in with that third tier of guys you mentioned after the big three at SS...it's a similar situation, with no true 2nd tier SS IMO. In my rankings I have Stephen Drew a little ahead of Alexei, but many would scream blasphemy at such a thing. The best bargain I see at SS is Hardy, who seems to consistently go later than I would expect.

But you can't just say "screw it" to both 2B and SS if you don't get a first tier guy...typically in a draft bargains will present themselves to you, someone will slip, and you just have to be aware of it...based on whatever rankings/tiers you are using.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby DaShiz23 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:00 pm

fezzik wrote:
DaShiz23 wrote:

I'm just not as high on Alexei as most people are this year, so since I'm in the minority you might want to take what I have to say with a grain of salt. I'm really concerned about his SB%, OBP, and K/BB ratio...they worry me, even knowing he's been working on his base-running blah blah blah...I don't believe he's as powerful as his HR's from last year indicate either, but only time will tell.

For me I lump him in with that third tier of guys you mentioned after the big three at SS...it's a similar situation, with no true 2nd tier SS IMO. In my rankings I have Stephen Drew a little ahead of Alexei, but many would scream blasphemy at such a thing. The best bargain I see at SS is Hardy, who seems to consistently go later than I would expect.

But you can't just say "screw it" to both 2B and SS if you don't get a first tier guy...typically in a draft bargains will present themselves to you, someone will slip, and you just have to be aware of it...based on whatever rankings/tiers you are using.

I hear what you are saying. I mainly ask because I grabbed Phillips in the 3rd, and Alexie in the 5th to shore up my 2B and SS spots, and am pretty happy about it. ;-D
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby fezzik » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:06 pm

DaShiz23 wrote:I hear what you are saying. I mainly ask because I grabbed Phillips in the 3rd, and Alexie in the 5th to shore up my 2B and SS spots, and am pretty happy about it. ;-D

In my 12 team cafe league Phillips went at 3.07 and Alexei at 5.06, so that sounds about right. ;-D
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby DaShiz23 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:36 pm

fezzik wrote:
DaShiz23 wrote:I hear what you are saying. I mainly ask because I grabbed Phillips in the 3rd, and Alexie in the 5th to shore up my 2B and SS spots, and am pretty happy about it. ;-D

In my 12 team cafe league Phillips went at 3.07 and Alexei at 5.06, so that sounds about right. ;-D

Did we just become best friends? :-D
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby fezzik » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:49 pm

DaShiz23 wrote:
fezzik wrote:

Did we just become best friends? :-D

No, I'm just nice to everyone (not that you aren't special...I'm sure you're special in your own way :-b )...I should probably stop it before some of you guys get the wrong idea. I'm already having to ignore PM's from Aussie. :-D

I'll try to concentrate on being more of an ass...or at the very least impart my questionably sage wisdom with a self-righteousness that will surely annoy. ;-)
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Maris09 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:59 am

DaShiz23 wrote:Did we just become best friends? :-D

:-D
Classic

One of the best movies ever.
Maris09