Injured to start the season... but valuable later on - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Injured to start the season... but valuable later on

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Injured to start the season... but valuable later on

Postby stumpak » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:20 pm

Is seems that we get one of these threads going every year around draft time: guys who will be on the DL to start with but might be grabbing cheap for a contribution later this season or (in keeper formats) for 2010. Think of Josh Johnson or Carpenter last year. Here are a few I have thought of:

Escobar - If all goes well, he will be ready for the second half, but he is probably most useful in keepers for 2010
Marcum - Ditto, he is coming back from TJ and will probably be most useful in 2010
Magowan - Should be back later this year from his rotator cuff injury
Wagner - Worth stashing for 2010 in deep keeper formats

Nothing here is solid gold, but these types of guys have value in for those of us in deeper formats.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Injured to start the season... but valuable later on

Postby jake_harv88 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:28 pm

stumpak wrote:Is seems that we get one of these threads going every year around draft time: guys who will be on the DL to start with but might be grabbing cheap for a contribution later this season or (in keeper formats) for 2010. Think of Josh Johnson or Carpenter last year. Here are a few I have thought of:

Escobar - If all goes well, he will be ready for the second half, but he is probably most useful in keepers for 2010
Marcum - Ditto, he is coming back from TJ and will probably be most useful in 2010

Nothing here is solid gold, but these types of guys have value in for those of us in deeper formats.

McGowan has a labrum problem. The Jays said they took a look at his rotator cuff but that nothing was done. Of course you have to take everything the Jays say with a grain of salt. McGowan has a better shot of being productive than Marcum this year but neither of them are really exciting me right now...

For the record I'd rather not draft any DL players unless it was with say my last pick. I do like to fill my DL spots but I'd rather draft someone with high upside and drop him later for the DL pickup...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Postby CadensDad » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:29 pm

Decent list, but I'd not bother with Wagner unless it's a deep dynasty league, He may not even pitch again and I doubt that IF he does it will be for the Mets

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Although having previously stated that he will not pitch beyond the 2009 season, Wagner said he does not want to end his career in this fashion, and would like to win a World Series and reach around-420 saves. However, Wagner stated that he has "played his last game as a Met". Wagner explained that it would not make sense for the Mets to pick up the 2010 $8 million option.

Especially after having Rodriguez and Putz. Also, 420. ;-D

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Matthias » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:51 pm

I've tried drafting injured pitchers in my auction league the past few years (Carpenter and Pedro among them) and really, it's not worth the hassle. You tie up a DL spot and the return date is always a little shaky and so are they once they make their first few starts. And by the time they might find their groove, the season is nearly over.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Maris09 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:09 pm

Smoltz should start on the DL.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:06 pm

stumpak wrote:Is seems that we get one of these threads going every year around draft time: guys who will be on the DL to start with but might be grabbing cheap for a contribution later this season or (in keeper formats) for 2010. Think of Josh Johnson or Carpenter last year. Here are a few I have thought of:

Escobar is now expected back as early as May. Glaus is another one who will be back early enough for a worthwhile pick.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby hot4tx » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:09 pm

Matthias wrote:I've tried drafting injured pitchers in my auction league the past few years (Carpenter and Pedro among them) and really, it's not worth the hassle. You tie up a DL spot and the return date is always a little shaky and so are they once they make their first few starts. And by the time they might find their groove, the season is nearly over.

Depends on how many DL spots you have and if you took any Chipper Joneses earlier in your draft. Getting a Smoltz caliber player very late and then picking someone up as a FA post-draft has very little downside and you could end up with a very good SP down the stretch. Even if you think Smoltz is 25% or so to come back to form that's still better odds than most endgame young SPs have of becoming top-flight starters. And you have to use a roster spot while you're waiting on them versus a DL spot on Smoltz.

I wouldn't reach for a DL pitcher or count on him for anything, but I do think there is value in getting these guys right now and sitting on them. Ask the guy that stashed Liriano on his DL last year how much value that was worth to him down the stretch. Now obviously just because one guy does it, doesn't mean everyone will. Also not every DL pitcher out there has the potential Liriano has. But the point is its a late-round pick that can make a big difference.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:47 pm

umm...Ben Sheets anyone?
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 123)

Postby NCAARules » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:20 pm

Havok - I was thinking the exact same thing.
NCAARules
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers