Strategy: Keeper Auction Issues - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Strategy: Keeper Auction Issues

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Strategy: Keeper Auction Issues

Postby NCAARules » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:40 pm

Hello All

I'm running into a new issue with my upcoming NL-only 12-team keeper auction. After spending much of last season "rebuilding" I have the opportunity to save a significant number of my players...

As things stand right now - it is entirely possible that I will only have to fill 7 of 23 positions at the auction (only one open pitcher slot), with $81 to do it. (above average salary per player)

My question is - with the open positions being 2B, SS, 3B, MI, U, C (second) and P - how would you approach dollar allocation? My instinct is to spread the vast majority even over the 2B, SS, 3B and P positions - with only $1 for MI, U and C.

OR - I could go with an adapted studs and duds - grab the a top-5 ace and jimmy rollins (reyes and hanram will both be saved by others) and go $1 on each of the others.

Spreading it will help me on the offensive side (I am about 100 HR and 300 RBI short of my goals), while getting a top ace will help more on defense (short about 100 K and 50 W+QS).

I'm hoping this group can help nudge me in the right direction (and if you think I'm keeping way too many I'd be interested in hearing that argument as well).

Thanks in advance and good luck to all this year!
NCAARules
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Strategy: Keeper Auction Issues

Postby Jackie Treehorn » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:02 am

Tough to say without knowing exactly who's available and how much other owners have to spend. If Rollins is the only significant player available, spend what you have to and get him. Spend a buck on a 2nd catcher, most are crap anyway. If there are several nice players available, bid early guys up and make other owners overspend, then you can get the others at a bargain price.
"How's the smut business, Jackie?"
Jackie Treehorn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby stevethumb » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:54 am

agree w/the above...it is irresponsible to try to provide a quality response w/o knowing who is currently on your roster and some of the available players available and your opponents $
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby NCAARules » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:33 pm

Thanks for considering it.

As keepers are not due for another two weeks - I can't tell you for sure who'll be available. I was hoping to get a more philosophical response than anything - otherwise I would have put it in the draft/keeper forum.

Again, I appreciate you taking the time to respond, and I'll post more details when I have them.
NCAARules
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby hot4tx » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:59 pm

My thoughts (in generality): if Rollins is really the last top player left you might as well throw some $ at him. However, realize that he isn't going to offer you the HR and RBI you are really looking for versus what your $ can get spreading it out. So if you think he's at a bit of a bargain go for it, but don't overspend to get him.

and yeah there's really nothing I can tell you about spending for an ace versus spreading it around. I will say that in general I prefer depth at #2-#3 starters and not having to tote out that back-end ratio killer than having an elite SP.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 208)

Return to Baseball Leftovers