Detroit - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Detroit

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Detroit

Postby JTWood » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:28 am

Why don't these people file discrimination lawsuits?
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:24 am

CadensDad wrote:Heh, that city is a waste anyways, the only good thing in that city is the Lions,...no wait Tigers......no ummmm Pistons? Wait is there anything good about this place?

the Pistons play in Auburn Hills, about 30 miles away from downtown

that city council is a joke...it's just disheartening living near a city that crooked and poorly run
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:43 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:May I please introduce Monica Conyers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TvgtGlcdTE

I don't know if the first article is accurate or not. If it is accurate then this is outrageous and I would like to see some video of it b/c council meetings should be televised, at least they are in Toronto.

This youtube clip though is completely stupid. This little girl was put up to it and IMO Conyers was very patient with her. On the other hand this guy Charlie LeDuff is a complete joke. I am honestly not sure if his is a comedy show or if it is meant to be serious. Here is his interview with Conyers. She comes across as good humoured and reasonable and he is a goof. His best question: "If you are a nut, what kind of nut would you be? I would be a peanut because everyone likes peanuts" :-°

In both pieces LeDuff accused her of threatening to shoot someone, threatening to have someone beaten up and getting into a bar fight. In the interview she denied it all and he had zero backup. Who the hell makes these kinds of accusations against a council person without some evidence? Crazy.

Here is the interview http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGxiGdwngNY&NR=1

There's no denying that Detroit is polarized.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:25 am

Mookie4ever wrote:

I don't know if the first article is accurate or not. If it is accurate then this is outrageous and I would like to see some video of it b/c council meetings should be televised, at least they are in Toronto.

This youtube clip though is completely stupid. This little girl was put up to it and IMO Conyers was very patient with her. On the other hand this guy Charlie LeDuff is a complete joke. I am honestly not sure if his is a comedy show or if it is meant to be serious. Here is his interview with Conyers. She comes across as good humoured and reasonable and he is a goof. His best question: "If you are a nut, what kind of nut would you be? I would be a peanut because everyone likes peanuts" :-°

In both pieces LeDuff accused her of threatening to shoot someone, threatening to have someone beaten up and getting into a bar fight. In the interview she denied it all and he had zero backup. Who the hell makes these kinds of accusations against a council person without some evidence? Crazy.

Here is the interview http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGxiGdwngNY&NR=1

There's no denying that Detroit is polarized.

Mookie, I agree with what you wrote. Charlie LeDuff seems to be a terrible newsperson - kind of a cross between something you would see on the Daily Show and a real news person. The thing is though, he isnt the story even though his is the video I linked. I had never heard of him before I went looking for footage to post here, and the only reason I used that clip is because it combined the council fight and the argument with the elementary student in one clip.

The article I originally posted is accurate however - at least accurate in the sense that it was one writers honest take on the most recent council meeting. As for "evidence" about the prior threats, those are also on Youtube (or at least interviews from council members that witnessed the incidents). Google Monica Conyers or Detroit City Council to see what all the comotion is about.

The thing is, this isnt about a certain incident - its much bigger than a name calling incident or a physical threat or a grown woman trying to explain how name calling has a place in politics to an elementary student. You have to understand that Conyers was the Gangster Mayors (Kilpatricks favorite nickname) right hand man on the city council before he was convicted and forced out of office. The abuses of power in Detroit are ongoing and deeply rooted - this latest is just an example of what is happening here. I posted the article because I dont think the rest of America understands what is going on in Detroit and I wanted to present this to the baseball cafe crowd in an attempt to raise awareness. If anyone cares enough to go and look this stuff up online, then my job was done. Myself, I am still looking for the tape of the last council meeting to form my own opinion of it and when I find it, I will share it.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby C2ThaLo88 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:42 am

CadensDad wrote:Heh, that city is a waste anyways, the only good thing in that city is the Lions,...no wait Tigers......no ummmm Pistons? Wait is there anything good about this place?

Red Wings
C2ThaLo88 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby C2ThaLo88 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:46 am

We need Batman! Detroit is starting to remind me of Gotham City.
C2ThaLo88 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thedude » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:10 am

Last edited by thedude on Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby thedude » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:11 am

8th Grader wrote:Calling the president Shrek, that is something that a second grader would have done...We're human, but you have to know your boundaries... Sometimes people need to think before they act.

That 13 year old absolutely destroyed her.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:28 am

lol how do these clowns get voted in?!
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:30 am

Looking on the Detroit City Council Homepage I found video of their meetings, and I am currently watching the 2/24/09 general meeting (I believe this is the one the original article was based on). The meeting is over 3 hours long, and I havent found a way to FF through the unimportant parts, but I will be watching it for myself. If anyone is interested, here is the website:

http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/legislative ... efault.htm
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk