Keeper League Rules - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Keeper League Rules

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper League Rules

Postby cobbs87 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:19 pm

I am the commissioner of a keeper league on yahoo. My league is clamoring for a new rule. We can currently keep 4 players, but people want to be able to keep 3 and use their 4th pick to take he next best player available.

I don't see a fair way to implement this system as our draft goes in order of worst to best from the year before. And I see the problem being that the person with the number one pick could be leapfrogged by someone who wished to forgo one of their keepers.

Also is there even a way to successfully implement this system on yahoo? I know the settings are new, so no one may know.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
cobbs87
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper League Rules

Postby Besaid_Aurochs » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:30 pm

I'd argue against implementing that new rule. The point of a keeper league is to, well, keep. If you're forced to keep players rather than just having the option, it leads to much more strategy and overall competitiveness.

But if you decide to do it, Yahoo can handle it. They have a new setting where you can customize every single pick in every single round of the draft. It's pretty sweet.
Besaid_Aurochs
College Coach
College Coach

Location: Jumping off the nearest cliff cause I started Felix Hernandez again

Postby Trojan Pony » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:42 pm

Agreed. From personal experience, things are both simpler and more enjoyable when everyone has to keep the same number of keepers.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ramble2 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:31 am

In my league every team can keep up to five players. You don't have to, but there's no extra benefit to not keeping a fifth player. Draft is like yours, worst to first.

How do you determine keeper cost? In our league, each player costs a draft pick two rounds higher than where they were kept/drafted the year before. Even though the worst team is slotted for the first draft pick, if they keep a 1st round player they may not get the first overall pick. Managers use different strategies. Some like to keep lots of late round players so they have early picks; others like to stock up on top tier expensive talent. Which strategy works better varies from year to year, depending on what other managers do.

Making your keeper system a little (just a little!) more complex might help satisfy your owners.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 66)

Return to Commissioner's Corner