Ethics question: Leagues w/ friends that are kinda new at it - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ethics question: Leagues w/ friends that are kinda new at it

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Ethics question: Leagues w/ friends that are kinda new at it

Postby jake_harv88 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:25 am

How is this an ethics question?

I'll drop an ethics bomb on you: Would you steal a loaf of bread to feed your family?

BOOM
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby woodson_28 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:55 pm

If it's their first time playing fantasy baseball, then I'd help them out a little come draft day. I know a lot of people will disagree, but I don't see how it will be much fun if your just destroying every team 9-1 every week.

The first year I played, I had a friend assist me during the draft. It was 2006 I believe, and he suggested a few players to me: A. Soriano (2b eligible and 46/41 that year), J. Reyes in mid rounds (break out year, 64 SB, 19HR), Crawford, etc...

The end result was that I had a very competitive team and enjoyed playing. I finished in 3rd place. If I had gotten now help and had a horrible, 10th place team, I probably would have lost interest and not played anymore.
woodson_28
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:57 pm

This reminds me of a story called The Puppy Who Lost His Way...
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby The Cow » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:36 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:How would you guys approach this? I ask because I'm setting up a league for my fraternity (will hopefully become an annual thing), and most of them are football holdovers. They know a marginal to good amount about baseball, but I'm still afraid that I'm going to destroy them and I don't want it to be unfair/unfun. !+)

I think you overrate yourself. I have confidence you will stumble.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby J35J » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:02 pm

The Cow wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:How would you guys approach this? I ask because I'm setting up a league for my fraternity (will hopefully become an annual thing), and most of them are football holdovers. They know a marginal to good amount about baseball, but I'm still afraid that I'm going to destroy them and I don't want it to be unfair/unfun. !+)

The Cow

;-D
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby CadensDad » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:16 pm

The Cow wrote:

The Cow

burnr

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:15 pm

woodson_28 wrote:If it's their first time playing fantasy baseball, then I'd help them out a little come draft day. I know a lot of people will disagree, but I don't see how it will be much fun if your just destroying every team 9-1 every week.

The first year I played, I had a friend assist me during the draft. It was 2006 I believe, and he suggested a few players to me: A. Soriano (2b eligible and 46/41 that year), J. Reyes in mid rounds (break out year, 64 SB, 19HR), Crawford, etc...

The end result was that I had a very competitive team and enjoyed playing. I finished in 3rd place. If I had gotten now help and had a horrible, 10th place team, I probably would have lost interest and not played anymore.

See, the problem I have with that is that I would feel patronized if I was in that situation. I'm printing out the Yahoo rankings sheets and 2008 stats for them, so the worst they can do is go along with their default rankings (though I will drop hints about severely overrated/underrated players in Yahoo's system, like Kendrick at 92 overall? WTF?). You think that'd be sufficient?

The Cow wrote:

The Cow

Please. Yoda beat you to that joke by a good 12 hours. Now go away before I prepare a fearsome barrage attack of smiley emoticons! <begins to press buttons>

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby bobbing_headz » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:47 pm

RAmst23 wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:make sure it's a money league. make it roto with daily rosters and unlimited transactions. 23 man rosters as well. profit.

Cmon, kick it up a notch. Make it a keeper league, 30 rounds with 5 OFs, MI, CI, and 2 Cs. Enjoy.

Why stop there. Make it a dynasty league 50 man roster w/farm team and player contracts.
bobbing_headz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby KCollins1304 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:50 pm

bobbing_headz wrote:
RAmst23 wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:make sure it's a money league. make it roto with daily rosters and unlimited transactions. 23 man rosters as well. profit.

Cmon, kick it up a notch. Make it a keeper league, 30 rounds with 5 OFs, MI, CI, and 2 Cs. Enjoy.

Why stop there. Make it a dynasty league 50 man roster w/farm team and player contracts.

Why stop there? Rob them and murder their families and steal their yahoo player id's!
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bobbing_headz » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:51 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:
bobbing_headz wrote:
RAmst23 wrote:

Why stop there? Rob them and murder their families and steal their yahoo player id's!

I think a simple mugging would suffice :-D
bobbing_headz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers