My Efforts to Stimulate the Economy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

My Efforts to Stimulate the Economy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: My Efforts to Stimulate the Economy

Postby TheRock » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:28 pm

Yeah, even if you don't know all the ins and outs of the game you should be able to walk out of a dealer with a pretty sweet deal right now. Worst thing you can do is fall in love with the car. As soon as they see that 'gotta have it' look in your eye you're toast. Look half-interested at best and keep saying 'no' to whatever they bring you. :-D

A friend who used to sell cars tipped me off that the best time to go is late in the day on the last Saturday of the month. Sales managers work on monthly quotas, so he's either desperate to move another car or he's already hit it and it's bonus time. Either way that's when he's ready to deal. They will try to keep you there as long as they can bantering back and forth, wearing you down. When my kids were younger I used to beat them at their own game. I'd let my kids (toddler age is great) run around screaming and climbing all over the new cars. We'd come around dinner time and of course they don't want to let you leave, so I would send my wife out for something messy like Taco Bell and have the kids eat it in their office.

But lately I've been buying cars elsewhere. Can't stand giving those bloodsuckers any amount of my money.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:38 pm

Amazinz wrote:Because all of the information you need such as the actual cost and the markup needed for the dealership to turn their 3% is freely available. Coupled with confidence and the knowledge that they would rather turn a small profit than none at all and it's very easy. And in my experience dressing poor helps because they're less stubborn. Also, make sure they realize early on your are more intelligent than they are. No joke.

Good stuff. You have to realize that it's a war when you go buy a car. They aren't your friend and they aren't looking out for you. They want your cash, period. This goes for 97% of the dealerships out there. The rare jewel that doesn't act this way should still be treated with caution, especially as the economy turns south.

When you go buy a car, you need to know what that car is worth. Not what the sticker says and not what the dealer tells you, but what it actually cost the maker to manufacture. That's your starting point. Everything above that is gravy. You can come up a few percentage points so the dealership can pay their electric bill and the salesman gets his commission, but your job isn't to put his kids through college.

You have to be tough, you have to be fair, and you have to be willing at any moment to get up and walk out of there. That's the best tool you have, and I've walked out of the dealership on each of the last four cars I've bought. It's amazing how they find "wiggle room" in their "bottom line" after a couple of days of you leaving and not calling. You don't have to be rude, you just have to be direct and tell them up front you're not going to play games.

The one tactic I've seen and shot down immediately is this - they take your "best offer," then write it down and take it to their sales manager, and they'll do this over and over, hoping to wear you down. It's all a mind game. They know you're nervous about spending so much money, so they let you sit in that room and worry, and they're cool doing that five, ten times if they need to. Don't do it. If your sales guy tries that, go with him to talk to the manager. Don't ask him if you can come, just go. I had a guy about halfway to the sales manager suddenly turn around and have a slight conniption when he realized I was right behind him. His manager didn't like it that I was there, but I told him I wanted his final, bottom offer right then and there. He gave it to me, I said, "Thanks," and I went back with the salesman and told him it was too high, got my coat and we left. They came chasing out the door after me and I told him I wasn't going to pay that price, and that was it. A couple days later they called me with a far lower price, but by then I’d already bought the car somewhere else.

The key is, THEY CALLED ME. That’s how much they want that sale. Never forget that you have the money, not them.

There’s more, but I don’t have time right now. Suffice it to say, if you pay too much for a car, it’s your fault and your fault only.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby JTWood » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:40 pm

RyanK wrote:
TheJanitor wrote:Linky no worky.

blog deleted....

Dang... sorry, guys. :-/
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Tavish » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:27 am

JTWood wrote:
RyanK wrote:
TheJanitor wrote:Linky no worky.

blog deleted....

If the guy thinks that deleting the blog really does any good, he really is naive.

Google cache

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 70)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:01 pm

Thought this thread was gonna be a sex joke. I was severely disappointed.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby JTWood » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:22 pm

Tavish wrote:
JTWood wrote:
RyanK wrote:
blog deleted....

If the guy thinks that deleting the blog really does any good, he really is naive.

Google cache

I see nothing... :-?
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby JTWood » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:23 pm

Wait... Here you go:

linky
JTWood