My Efforts to Stimulate the Economy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

My Efforts to Stimulate the Economy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

My Efforts to Stimulate the Economy

Postby JTWood » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:04 pm

This guy shows up at two dealerships with $25,000 in hand ready to purchase a brand new Jeep at the price he was quoted on their website. What unfolds is an amazing illustration of the greed and deceit that runs car dealerships. Read and learn how each dealership tried to finagle not hundreds, but thousands, of dollars out of this guy through tricky financing (that he didn't need) and out-and-out lies. In the end, the guy that walked up to a recently-bailed out car company with cash in hand did not buy the car he wanted. Jeep simply didn't want his money.

Linky :-P :-t
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: My Efforts to Stimulate the Economy

Postby Amazinz » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:17 pm

I don't know, JT. Not to defend car dealerships because they are all shady PITAs but... If the Jeep.com price was listed at $24K (even with employee discounting plus the financing discount) I would have walked out of that dealership with my Jeep on the way for less than $24K easy.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby KCollins1304 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:34 pm

Agreed Amazinz. The guy kinda seemed naive about the whole process. The whole first time he was with the dealership he never even mentioned anything about the price, he basically just took their bait. They had him baited and ready to buy for $27K before his mom talked him out of it. It seems like he just discovered the nature of car salesmen and then was really bitter about it as he thought back.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby markj11 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:52 pm

Amazinz wrote:I don't know, JT. Not to defend car dealerships because they are all shady PITAs but... If the Jeep.com price was listed at $24K (even with employee discounting plus the financing discount) I would have walked out of that dealership with my Jeep on the way for less than $24K easy.

How?
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:53 pm

I hate dealing with car salesman and negotiating a deal but that is what you do. This guy just seems really naive and gullible.
Flash the on-line quote and state that is what you want. I'm sure you will have to wait for the dealer to get the exact one in stock but two weeks isn't going to kill you. Plus I'm sure the 24K didn't include all the taxes and license that get tacked on.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:01 pm

Naive, he may be, but the fact still remains that he showed up with cash and felt so uncomfortable with the process that they didn't sell him a car.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby markj11 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:03 pm

markj11 wrote:
Amazinz wrote:I don't know, JT. Not to defend car dealerships because they are all shady PITAs but... If the Jeep.com price was listed at $24K (even with employee discounting plus the financing discount) I would have walked out of that dealership with my Jeep on the way for less than $24K easy.

How?

I've never bought a new car from a dealer. They will match the on-line price? I aways thought the dealerships were above the manufactures.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:36 pm

Because all of the information you need such as the actual cost and the markup needed for the dealership to turn their 3% is freely available. Coupled with confidence and the knowledge that they would rather turn a small profit than none at all and it's very easy. And in my experience dressing poor helps because they're less stubborn. Also, make sure they realize early on your are more intelligent than they are. No joke.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheJanitor » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:41 pm

Linky no worky.
TheJanitor
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby RyanK » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:51 pm

TheJanitor wrote:Linky no worky.

blog deleted....