Ryan Braun vs. Josh Hamilton - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ryan Braun vs. Josh Hamilton

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ryan Braun vs. Josh Hamilton

Postby Sevon » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:48 am

Both of these guys are being ranked/drafted very close to each other. Both seem to have unlimited upside.
Everybody knows what they have done so far. Now, what happens next?

Who do you take and why?
Sevon
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Ryan Braun vs. Josh Hamilton

Postby The Mighty Trow » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:19 am

Neither, for the simple fact that every player I've owned who has performed well in the HR derby has been sub-par the following year. What, baseball is a superstitious sport. O:-)

Seriously though, I give it to Hamilton by the slightest of edges. Both have excellent skill sets, and both are capable of 50 home run ceilings. Hamilton gets it for three reasons: Better lineup, friendlier ballpark. And if he conditions himself to avoid a second half fade, he could put up the same counting numbers as Braun. Would never compete against him in stolen bases, though.
The Mighty Trow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DaShiz23 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:22 am

Sevon wrote:Both of these guys are being ranked/drafted very close to each other. Both seem to have unlimited upside.
Everybody knows what they have done so far. Now, what happens next?

Who do you take and why?

For this season anyway, they are not really going at the same point in the draft. Braun is a mid 1st round pick, and Hamilton is a late 1st/early 2nd rounder. Though I grabbed Hamilton on all of my teams last year, I need to see it again before I take him over Braun.
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby Inukchuk » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:30 am

DaShiz23 wrote:For this season anyway, they are not really going at the same point in the draft. Braun is a mid 1st round pick, and Hamilton is a late 1st/early 2nd rounder. Though I grabbed Hamilton on all of my teams last year, I need to see it again before I take him over Braun.

Great topic!

MDP has Braun 8 and Hammer 9. I'd say that's as close to the same point as you're gonna get... :-b

I like Hamilton a bit more here (assuming the achilles thing isn't an issue). I feel like there's a chance he still hasn't reached his top end. I would imagine it takes more than 2/3 years to go from junkie/drunkie to elite baseball talent, and I'm projecting improvement even from last year's numbers.

Also, I'm not overly worried about the drop in RBIs in the second half as long as Kinsler can stay healthy. His opportunities should be far more plentiful.

In the end, I'd give a slight HR/SB edge to Braun, but AVG/R/RBI go to Hamilton. In the end, I'd be jazzed with either, though. I'll probably get roasted for this, but I actually like both more than Sizemore...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby J35J » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:40 am

Does it really matter which way you go? Braun or Hamilton....Arod or Pujols....Wright or Reyes....Berkman or C. Lee....Peavy or Sabathia.....Halladay or Haren.....Papelbon or Nathan....Kinsler or Utley.......these aren't the tough decisions.

I do like Hamilton by a hair though...but give me whoever falls and I'll be happy.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby Yoda » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:43 am

Braun
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Scooter1027 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:54 pm

Give me Braun, but it's close between him, Sizemore, Beltran, and Hamilton. My projections:

Braun .301, 40 HR, 112 RBI, 98 R, 15 SB
Sizemore .278, 30 HR, 90 RBI, 110 R, 31 SB
Beltran .281, 29 HR, 105 RBI, 111 R, 21 SB
Hamilton .298, 33 HR, 118 RBI, 95 R, 8 SB

I realize I'm higher on Beltran than some, but overall, I'd be thrilled with any of those 4. I would say that's just about Beltran's ceiling there, maybe a little higher. The other 3 all have the potential of really breaking out and being the top guy.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Another Blown Save » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:59 pm

I think Braun will outproduce Hamilton in all 5 cats.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Yoda » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:02 pm

Scooter1027 wrote:Give me Braun, but it's close between him, Sizemore, Beltran, and Hamilton. My projections:

Braun .301, 40 HR, 112 RBI, 98 R, 15 SB
Sizemore .278, 30 HR, 90 RBI, 110 R, 31 SB
Beltran .281, 29 HR, 105 RBI, 111 R, 21 SB
Hamilton .298, 33 HR, 118 RBI, 95 R, 8 SB

I realize I'm higher on Beltran than some, but overall, I'd be thrilled with any of those 4. I would say that's just about Beltran's ceiling there, maybe a little higher. The other 3 all have the potential of really breaking out and being the top guy.

I protected Braun and Beltran over Hamilton in my keeper league so I am with you there. And I love Hamilton as I had him on every team last year.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:08 pm

I like Braun better but you can't go wrong.

J35J wrote:Does it really matter which way you go? Braun or Hamilton....Arod or Pujols....Wright or Reyes....Berkman or C. Lee....Peavy or Sabathia.....Halladay or Haren.....Papelbon or Nathan....Kinsler or Utley.......these aren't the tough decisions.
Braun, Arod, Wright, Berkman, Peavy, Haren, Papelbon, Utley :-D
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers