Fantasy Baseball...DRAFT STRATEGY - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Fantasy Baseball...DRAFT STRATEGY

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Fantasy Baseball...DRAFT STRATEGY

Postby soxfan57 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:25 am

I've got a high stakes fantasy league draft coming up next week...

For my draft prep, I've done a couple things.

First, I listed my top 24 players (1st 2 rounds). Which I will follow unless something fundamental changes by draft. S

Second, I have 22 NOTES as to if XXX players fall to X(X) round, I will pick them or "STRONGLY CONSIDER" picking them.

Is there anything else that I should bring to the online draft as prep? I don't want too much information at once. Just the top 24 sheet and my drafting notes...Anything else I should do? Anything else I should include in my notes? Would preciate thoughts/ideas.

Thks
soxfan57
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Fantasy Baseball...DRAFT STRATEGY

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:36 am

Welcome to the cafe.

Maybe print out the MDP report from a couple of threads down.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=364592

Very, very helpful tool. ;-D
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Sevon » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:21 am

You really need some idea of who you are going to take every round of your draft.
After doing this, you need a worse case scenario that is acceptable.
How many pitchers do you plan to have by round 10? 20?
Successful drafts are all about preparation.
Sevon
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:27 am

Sevon wrote:You really need some idea of who you are going to take every round of your draft.
After doing this, you need a worse case scenario that is acceptable.
How many pitchers do you plan to have by round 10? 20?
Successful drafts are all about preparation.

Yeah a rough outline of a plan is always good ;-D Pays to have 2nd/3rd/4th choices for your plan as well.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Trojan Pony » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:08 am

I get a good MDP report, like the one AD mentioned.

Then I adjust it based on my own research and occasionally a little gut feeling, as well as the settings of the particular league I'm drafting for (i.e. 5x5 vs. 6x6, Roto vs. H2H). This is pretty much my rankings for the draft. I'll make little notes on major bust candidates that I won't touch unless they slip a lot and sleepers that I might be willing to take a little early.

I'll break my rankings down into position-by-position tiers, grouping together players that are projected to have relatively similar 2009 numbers, and note what round I should expect the last player in the group to be available.

During the draft, I'll have both the master list of rankings and the tiers in front of me, crossing out players with a highlighter as they're taken... I like still being able to see what players are gone and available, crossing out with pen or pencil makes things too confusing. I also pick my favorite magazine and keep that by my side for quick reference in a pinch... unless you're doing a slow draft you're not gonna have time to search projections online, and in general it's not good to run anything else on your computer while you're in the middle of a draft.

These are some tips, I feel like a dummy even sharing them, but it's not like it's some genius method that no one else uses, it's pretty simple and probably pretty common. Also, that's what the Cafe is all about and I wouldn't be as skilled at fantasy baseball today if it weren't for other people on here sharing similar info.

Good luck!
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DaShiz23 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:59 am

I definetly like to go with a ranking set using tiers. That way you will know if it makes sense to bite at a certain position, or if you can hold of until the next couple of rounds or not at a certain position.
It is also useful to keep track of the other teams' line-ups to see where you are at, and the trends the other managers are drafting with. If you are near the end or beginning of the draft, the teams in between you will help you to know if you can have your choice fall beck to you, thus letting you have the chance at going in a different direction with a pick, and having the guy you want coming back to you with your next pick.
Also, it makes sense to go into the draft with goals set for the number of stats in each cat that you need to hit to finish in at least the top 3 in each. Drafting the best available player makes sense, but if you monitor this closely, you will not inadvertanly punt a couple of stats, and then have to draft/trade for any oversights.
Good Luck! ;-D
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby Steve-o » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:20 am

Here's a good basic article about drafting strategy.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby reenum » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:11 pm

I'll usually take some pre-prepared rankings like ESPN as a starting point. I then adjust based on injuries, trades, etc. that have happened since the magazine's publication.

After that, I like to create lists based on tiers on a spreadsheet. Most of my tiering is based on stats, but if a guy is injury prone, I'll knock him down a tier or two.

After that, it's in the draft's hands. I would use an MDP guide as a tool, but I've found my league to be too variable for these rankings to have any real reliability.
I never smile if I can help it.... Showing one's teeth is a submission signal in primates. When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life.
reenum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dmbjeff » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:16 pm

Having a strategy is very important. Also the type of league and league size helps determine strategy as well. If you are drafting for roto and it's a deep league, I recommend only drafting power/speed combo guys early. Don't get sucked into taking Ryan Howard,Josh Hamilton or Miguel Cabrera types early. They put up great numbers, don't get me wrong, but there are only so many SB guys out there. Of the SB guys, almost all are OF's or 2B/SS. With Arod's injury, only David Wright and Chone Figgins are capable of 20+ SB's from the 1B/3B slots. Know how many SB it takes to be competitive in your league. Understand that drafting Jimmy Rollins and Brandon Phillips early on nets you 60+SB and will still get you decent HR totals. You can grab HR later and for cheap. There are plenty of 1B/3B power options around picks 150-250. You will be fine with a 1B like LaRoche,Konerko,Giambi and a 3B like Beltre,Encarnacion or Gordon. The 2B/SS options that late won't have the power and only a few remaining still have speed, but you are giving up power.(think Theriot or Kaz Matsui)

OF's are also a good source of SB as well. Be careful when drafting OF's early. Grab Beltran,Soriano,Rios, Kemp,McClouth,Hart,Abreu types before you consider Quentin,Manny,Magglio or Vlad. I also try to steer clear of OF's who are just speed and not power. Don't waste a pick on Ichiro,Crawford or Ellsbury. I like to grab a 20/20 guy over a 10/40. If you are fortunate to grab a Sizemore or Hanley early, who will get 30HR and 30 SB, then I think it's OK grabbing the 10/40 guy. There are also values late for OF SB guys like Taveres,Bourne,Gomez,Owens. In fact, alot of these guys will even steal more bases(30-60). They are good fallbacks in case you falter in getting SB. But once one of these guys start going off the board, they all go, because owners are trying to sure up SB since they neglected them early. If you play in a deep league, you may have up to 30 picks between selections. You don't want to be shut out. So grab your SB early and often, but make sure you are grabbing them with power if you can too.
dmbjeff
College Coach
College Coach

Postby duckbillgates » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:32 am

Welcome to the Cafe. You've already got a leg up on your competition for coming here. Lot of smart managers who are more than willing to help out.

Probably the best tool you can have is this MDP report:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... b9JA&gid=0

I think you're going to want to look at more than just the first 24 guys. That should be a pretty good guideline for getting you through the first 5 or 6 rounds.

Then click on the "Tiers" tab at the top. It's basically a grouping of players expected to give you similar production. You want to try to maximize your players in the higher tiers at each position.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers