Is Derek Jeter overrated? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Derek Jeter overrated?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Derek Jeter overrated?

Postby Captain Crash » Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:41 pm

I recently gave my AL-only co-owner my projected keeper list. He was hedgy about protecting Derek Jeter for a second straight year at $35. I'm a Yankees fan and am now left wondering if I, and many others, are overvaluing Jeter's worth. My esteemed partner said he respects Jeter for his "big plays," but that those same big plays don't equate to big-time stats. He said can we afford to pay $35 for 15-20 HR, 75 RBI, 20-30 steals guy? Now, I hve a few arguements for that: 1 being I am a Yankees fan, and I would enjoy having him, 2., and more tangible, he's the fourth best shortstop in the AL and Nomar, Rodriguez and Tejada are all being protected this year. Also , doesn't he have the potential to hit .340, 25 HR, 100 RBI, 40 steals? And, in a New York Yankees market, wouldn't he be inflated in my league? That's in addition to the normal 30 percent inflation we realize in a 15-player 12 team keeper league. Help me out here.
Captain Crash
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Jackie Treehorn » Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:42 am

I don't know, man.....Jeter's 29 and has probably hit his peak, he always hits in a solid lineup with the yanks, and looks consistent as hell at 15-20Hr, 70 RBI, and about 20-25 bags. His average has fluctuated by 40 points the last the years, but he'll give you at least .290. Yes it's a little pricy, but you also know what you're getting. In an AL league, you're right, after those 4 it's slim pickins. I think it just comes down to personal preference. Do you want to spend that money there, or on another position or player. In an AL league, there's not a lot of depth to choose from, and all of the other managers are likely keeping the big time players.
Jackie Treehorn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby stevelabny » Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:39 am

hes going to go for a MINIMUM of 25 in any league.
factor in al only,and keeper inflation and hes got to be worth 35. or at they very least, close enough to make it worth keeping him unless you have a bunch of cheap stars to protect instead.
plus, arent the other 3 ss being protected? then any of the other owners will POUNCE on jeter and drive his value up over 35.
smack your co-owner back into reality and keep him
stevelabny
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:22 pm

Yes, I agree with the concensus. You should keep Jeter at $35. He is, as pointed out, going to cost @ $35 for whom evr to retain him, he's a mortal lock for identical numbers this year (from last year's). I don't think he'll hit 30 hr's this year or ever BUT you get a lot of solid production. Keep 'em!! ;-D

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:55 pm

AL only keeper league in a New York Yankees market? I'd be surprised if you could get him back at $35 if you let him go.

Even though he might not produce at a $35 level, he'll come close and be consistent for you.

Here's a thought: since you think he's going to be overvalued by the rest of the league, why don't you try and trade him? Package him with someone else and try and get A Rod or see if you can go straight up for Tejada.

Good luck!

Postby The Guru_fbc » Wed Mar 05, 2003 11:35 pm

highly overrated, plus he's derek jeter, my anti-christ
The Guru_fbc
College Coach
College Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby gogiants » Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:43 am

Jeter is somewhat overrated, although he could increase his numbers a bit. I think that you let him go, and if some of the other owners in your league are yankees fans, they will overbid for him and deplete their budgets. He is after all only the 4th best ss in the a.l., and could be passed by a couple guys, especially if his steals do not climb. Why would anyone pull for the yankees?Must be a sickness.
"Walk Softly and carry a Big Stick"

-Theodore Roosevelt
gogiants
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:15 am

yes, he is over rated. He's not worth $35. His value is closer to the $20-25 range. dump him.

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:30 pm

Are we talking a standard $260 league? Did you say? Did I miss it?
I agree that Jeter is overrated. I agree that he's not worth 35 dollars. I agree that you should keep him.
It's AL only, so the talent level is already depleted and the best players are already off the board.
Somebody else will overpay for Jeter, yes, but that will only hurt one team. Not all of them.
There simply isn't enough talent to go around (I say without knowing yr league) for you to give up on Jeter. I think he's the anti-christ too but you'll cripple your team if you lose him.
Hank
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Return to Baseball Leftovers