Young Arms to Target LATE - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Young Arms to Target LATE

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Young Arms to Target LATE

Postby Neato Torpedo » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:33 pm

"I told him, 'Dude, that's it right there. That's what we need,' " Laird said.

After reading this I actually checked to see if it was an Onion article. :-D

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Element » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:44 pm

Deeper leagues should take a flyer on Brett Anderson in the latter rounds. Oakland's rotation is unimpressive, so Cahill and Anderson could be up fairly quickly if the offense is clicking. Big, strong, power lefty with an incredible K:BB ratio. I think that he'll hit the ground running.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 968)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:14 pm

I think it would be a huge mistake to rush Porcello up now. Maybe make room for him in after the break, but not out of camp. :-°
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bobbing_headz » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:32 am

During one of my drafts I just picked Jimenez and that reminded me about Franklin Morales. He was probably one of the better pitching prospects coming into '08 and was formerly the Rockies #1 prospect (ahead of Jimenez) but he kinda tanked at the start of the season last year. He's pretty much never being drafted and I don't even think I've seen him appear on anyone's rankings. Probably will start in Triple A but I don't think you can write him off after only one bad year where he started 5 games. Could be gotten very late in even the deepest of leagues.
bobbing_headz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kab21 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:54 pm

bobbing_headz wrote:During one of my drafts I just picked Jimenez and that reminded me about Franklin Morales. He was probably one of the better pitching prospects coming into '08 and was formerly the Rockies #1 prospect (ahead of Jimenez) but he kinda tanked at the start of the season last year. He's pretty much never being drafted and I don't even think I've seen him appear on anyone's rankings. Probably will start in Triple A but I don't think you can write him off after only one bad year where he started 5 games. Could be gotten very late in even the deepest of leagues.

I wouldn't write Morales off as a prospect but he also got shelled in AAA so it wasn't just 5 games. And the big problem with Morales is that he can't find the strikezone and gave up 6+ BB/9 at AAA/MLB. You can get him very, very, very late but I don't think he's a guy to target.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 522)

Postby hybrid » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:10 pm

kab21 wrote:
bobbing_headz wrote:During one of my drafts I just picked Jimenez and that reminded me about Franklin Morales. He was probably one of the better pitching prospects coming into '08 and was formerly the Rockies #1 prospect (ahead of Jimenez) but he kinda tanked at the start of the season last year. He's pretty much never being drafted and I don't even think I've seen him appear on anyone's rankings. Probably will start in Triple A but I don't think you can write him off after only one bad year where he started 5 games. Could be gotten very late in even the deepest of leagues.

I wouldn't write Morales off as a prospect but he also got shelled in AAA so it wasn't just 5 games. And the big problem with Morales is that he can't find the strikezone and gave up 6+ BB/9 at AAA/MLB. You can get him very, very, very late but I don't think he's a guy to target.

Morales was always overrated, I wouldn't count on him to turn it around that much. Might eventually become a middle to late roation guy, to me he is more a bull pen guy as his control has always been terrible.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby hybrid » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:18 pm

Element wrote:Deeper leagues should take a flyer on Brett Anderson in the latter rounds. Oakland's rotation is unimpressive, so Cahill and Anderson could be up fairly quickly if the offense is clicking. Big, strong, power lefty with an incredible K:BB ratio. I think that he'll hit the ground running.

He isn't a power lefty, sits mostly high 80's/low 90's. Anyways they should let them develope a bit more in the high minors, maybe give them a couple months at the end to get their feet wet so to speak. I'd actually be more interested about targeting Gallagher in deeper leagues. He really is in a great opportunity to succeed, people quickly forget about him but he has a pretty good minor league track record and is still relatively young. He was rushed a bit to much by the Cubs and should of probably left him in AAA a bit longer.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby deanpapelbon » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:11 am

masterson if he keeps throwing like he has been.
deanpapelbon
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:55 am

deanpapelbon wrote:masterson if he keeps throwing like he has been.

It's tough to place him. I kept him in my dynasty. Not sure if he'll be a top long reliever or a reliable starter. Wanted to hold on to him because of his potential either way though.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:07 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
deanpapelbon wrote:masterson if he keeps throwing like he has been.

It's tough to place him. I kept him in my dynasty. Not sure if he'll be a top long reliever or a reliable starter. Wanted to hold on to him because of his potential either way though.

I really think he's that tweener type pitcher that will be effective starting or relieving but with the age of Wakefield and injury history of Brad Penny I think Buchholtz and Masterson see some time starting. Boston good problem with all of their major league quality prospects (Buchholtz, Bowden, Hagadone, etc.). Also, with the emergence of Daniel Bard last year in relief, Masterson's ascension to the rotation seems a little clearer. I'm also not sure I'd resign Beckett after 2010.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 103)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers