JimmyBaseball
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Young Arms to Target LATE

Postby King Tim » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:42 am

per rotoworld

Trevor Cahill-S- Athletics Mar. 5 - 7:57 pm et

Trevor Cahill struck out three while allowing one run over three innings Thursday as an A's split-squad beat the Giants 4-2.
Cahill wasn't viewed as a serious candidate to make the A's out of spring training, but maybe the team will consider him with Justin Duchscherer sidelined. The team's top right-handed pitching prospect has allowed one hit and posted a 5/1 K/BB ratio in five innings.
King Tim
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:50 am

J-J-J-J-J-Jered Weaver, rounds 17 and 18 ftw ;-D
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:36 am

Rick Porcello might break camp as the Tigers 5th starter. Willis still isnt right, Minor looks to be headed to the pen, and Porcello has looked much better than Robertson so far this spring. Lynn Henning wrote about this in todays Detroit News:
http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl ... 60321/1004

Writers have been commentating on his maturity and "business like approach" recently as well. Here is an excerpt from another Tigers beat reporter, Steve Kornacki, who quoted Leyland as saying this about Porcello and Ryan Perry this week:
"They make you stop and look," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said, "and, at some point, they make you stop and think."

Leyland foresees a meeting with Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski, major league coaches and minor league coaches to discuss whether Porcello, 20, and reliever Perry, 22, are ready for the majors.

"It's going to be interesting conversations," Leyland said. "We'll hash this out, and Dave will make the decision. Though, he's always been pretty good about letting me have what I want."

If Porcello breaks camp as the fifth starter he could end up being an absolute steal in most leagues. Perry isnt fantasy relevant right now, but if he goes north with the Tigers then there's going to be a lot of excitement about Zumaya and Perry throwing triple digit heat at the end of games. I expect one of them to finish the year as the Tigers closer, but Lyon is the guy to draft right now.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yoda » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:38 am

Hmmm Porcello doesn't seem like he is ready but...
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:28 pm

i think Willis will end up getting the nod as the 5th, however, if Bondo starts the season on the DL i could see them calling up Porcello as a 4th/5th. i could also see a situation where Bondo is DL'd and they put both Willis and Robertson in the rotation to see who sucks less and then send the other to the pen or DFA them or whatever. pretty sure Miner is going to the pen

as a Tigers fan i really hope they leave Porcello down all year and let him develop
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Yoda » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:31 pm

Didn't they just allow him to start throwing his slider?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:48 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:i think Willis will end up getting the nod as the 5th, however, if Bondo starts the season on the DL i could see them calling up Porcello as a 4th/5th. i could also see a situation where Bondo is DL'd and they put both Willis and Robertson in the rotation to see who sucks less and then send the other to the pen or DFA them or whatever. pretty sure Miner is going to the pen

as a Tigers fan i really hope they leave Porcello down all year and let him develop

I dont see how Willis makes it at this point. His last outing was atrocious - like he still had the same issues that plagued him last yr, and if thats the case, the Tigers cant afford to even consider him. With it looking more and more likely that Bondo will start the season on the DL, I can see them using Minor as a SP for a month or so to replace him and going with Robertson as the #5 instead of rushing Porcello. They have options outside of rushing Porcello, and I agree with you in hoping they use them.

The point is however, that there are lots of signs that they are seriously considering Porcello right now, and if thats the case, then he has to be considered a late rd fantasy sleeper just due to his hype. Anytime a top young prospect gets a shot - especially one as good as Porcello - fantasy owners have to sit up and pay attention. Im not advocating for him to be called up right now, just making the Cafe aware that its a real possibility according to ST reports.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby j24jags » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:57 pm

I know a lot of guys around here think Porcello's not ready and it would be a big mistake to rush him. The Tigers need to give their fans something to get excited about so they are telling everyone that he will get a real shot this year, but I really don't think it will happen just yet...
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:54 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:i think Willis will end up getting the nod as the 5th, however, if Bondo starts the season on the DL i could see them calling up Porcello as a 4th/5th. i could also see a situation where Bondo is DL'd and they put both Willis and Robertson in the rotation to see who sucks less and then send the other to the pen or DFA them or whatever. pretty sure Miner is going to the pen

I dont see how Willis makes it at this point. His last outing was atrocious - like he still had the same issues that plagued him last yr, and if thats the case, the Tigers cant afford to even consider him. With it looking more and more likely that Bondo will start the season on the DL, I can see them using Minor as a SP for a month or so to replace him and going with Robertson as the #5 instead of rushing Porcello. They have options outside of rushing Porcello, and I agree with you in hoping they use them.

The point is however, that there are lots of signs that they are seriously considering Porcello right now, and if thats the case, then he has to be considered a late rd fantasy sleeper just due to his hype. Anytime a top young prospect gets a shot - especially one as good as Porcello - fantasy owners have to sit up and pay attention. Im not advocating for him to be called up right now, just making the Cafe aware that its a real possibility according to ST reports.

you must not have read this article ;-7

Dontrelle Willis had just pitched a terrific inning, perhaps his best as a Tiger. He had done it against some hitters that any Tigers fan will recognize as good hitters.

but yeah, i agree with you there is definately a chance Porcello could end up in the rotation, at least for a few starts...and like you said, if you can grab him late and have the bench space to stash him he's worth a flier
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers