Young Arms to Target LATE - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Young Arms to Target LATE

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Young Arms to Target LATE

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:06 pm

If we're talking LATE in capitals, like 26th round and beyond in 12-teamers, then keep an eye on Ryan Rowland-Smith. He doesn't have a spot in the rotation guaranteed (competing mainly with Washburn), but if he performs well in ST and wins the spot, he'll be worth a pick. Not a very high ceiling but not a huge risk of blowing up in your face either. 3.90-4.20 ERA, 7-10 wins, 1.34-1.38 WHIP, and 6-7 K/9 isn't bad that late.
Last edited by Neato Torpedo on Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:07 pm

bobbing_headz wrote:Josh Johnson perhaps, although he's probably going too early to be considered a late sleeper.

Yeah, he won't be going late. He's a young arm to target in general
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby kab21 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:11 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
kettamaqua wrote:No GIO......what has he proved? Add to the list, Brett Anderson of the A's.....they have one hell of a farm league for pitching talent. ;-D

Yeah, I honestly think the A's would be better if the got rid of Giambi, Cust, & Ellis as they have younger, cheaper, and more talented options in the minors.

C: Suzuki/Donaldson
1B: Barton
2B: Cardenas
SS: Crosby
3B: Chavez
LF: Holliday
CF: Sweeney
RF: Buck
OF: Cunningham
DH: Carter

Havok has a lust for unproven MiLB'ers. He expects guys like Barton, travis buck and Chris Carter to put up the .850-.900 OPS this year that Giambi and Cust did last year. And then he'll tell you how important defense is (cust is a butcher and Giambi isn't good at defense) but then he wants to bench ellis (an elite fielder albeit injury-prone) for 26 games of AA/AAA experience Adrian Cardenas.

Some of these players will turn out to be pretty good, but if you want to win this season (and they do) then Giambi/Cust/Ellis are easily better options.

as far as the original topic I like Anibal Sanchez (TJ recovery last season, I give him a mulligan) and Sean Gallagher as a couple of late arms. If you want a couple of really late arms (deeper leagues) that might not start the season in the rotation but could be pretty good, I like Brett Cecil, Jordan Zimmerman, and james McDonald (it's just a matter of time until a spot opens up for him).
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby kettamaqua » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:31 pm

kab21 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
kettamaqua wrote:No GIO......what has he proved? Add to the list, Brett Anderson of the A's.....they have one hell of a farm league for pitching talent. ;-D

Yeah, I honestly think the A's would be better if the got rid of Giambi, Cust, & Ellis as they have younger, cheaper, and more talented options in the minors.

Havok has a lust for unproven MiLB'ers. He expects guys like Barton, travis buck and Chris Carter to put up the .850-.900 OPS this year that Giambi and Cust did last year. And then he'll tell you how important defense is (cust is a butcher and Giambi isn't good at defense) but then he wants to bench ellis (an elite fielder albeit injury-prone) for 26 games of AA/AAA experience Adrian Cardenas.

Some of these players will turn out to be pretty good, but if you want to win this season (and they do) then Giambi/Cust/Ellis are easily better options.

as far as the original topic I like Anibal Sanchez (TJ recovery last season, I give him a mulligan) and Sean Gallagher as a couple of late arms. If you want a couple of really late arms (deeper leagues) that might not start the season in the rotation but could be pretty good, I like Brett Cecil, Jordan Zimmerman, and james McDonald (it's just a matter of time until a spot opens up for him).

Not quite start but pretty good? Who has room for unproven or potential new comers...?? NO one.
Always remember in life's little mixed up times~~~~even a broken clock is right twice a day !!!
kettamaqua
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:44 pm

kettamaqua wrote:
kab21 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:

Not quite start but pretty good? Who has room for unproven or potential new comers...?? NO one.

Yeah, bring in the newer, younger, cheaper players with more potential. Giambi/Cust/Ellis could and have all fallen by the waste-side before and they will eventually again due to Ellis and Giambi's (age) injury history and Cust's lack of talent. BTW, Cardenas is ranked as the best 2B prospect in baseball an I'm predicting Buck to have a Markakis-lite season in '09. And the A's aren't going to win with that pitching staff especially with Duke's elbow.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)

Postby kab21 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:21 am

Havok1517 wrote:
Yeah, bring in the newer, younger, cheaper players with more potential. Giambi/Cust/Ellis could and have all fallen by the waste-side before and they will eventually again due to Ellis and Giambi's (age) injury history and Cust's lack of talent. BTW, Cardenas is ranked as the best 2B prospect in baseball an I'm predicting Buck to have a Markakis-lite season in '09. And the A's aren't going to win with that pitching staff especially with Duke's elbow.

Carter and Cardenas have combined for a total of 26 games at AA. They are both good prospects but to assume that they would be good players next season would be foolish. I really like Cardenas long-term though. Buck (and also Sweeney and Cunningham) will get his chances to show that he's got it but I wouldn't book him for a .850+ OPS.

Cust/Ellis/Giambi aren't that shiny new prospect that everyone likes but they are solid baseball players. Cust's lack of talent has only produced a .390 OBP and .880 OPS over the last 2 seasons. And Ellis is one of the best defensive 2B in the league with a .750 career OPS (if only he could stay healthy). Beane has his collection of ugly, boring players yet as usual they are productive (if they aren't injured and then the shiny new prospects will get their chances). And not having these veterans means that their isn't a backup plan when a prospect underachieves horribly like Barton (whom still has a good future).
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby Yoda » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:44 am

Keep a close eye on Zimmerman. Pitching very well so far and could surprise.

Also Jeff Niemann.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby King Tim » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:34 am

Yoda wrote:Also Jeff Niemann.

ssshhhhh. I'm hoping to pick him up in my next transaction period.
King Tim
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:42 am

King Tim wrote:

wouldn't be surprised if he's closing for TB by the end of the year as well.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)

Postby AllDay » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:44 am

Havok1517 wrote:
King Tim wrote:

wouldn't be surprised if he's closing for TB by the end of the year as well.

Goose Gossage closing for TB by the end of the year wouldn't surprise me.
AllDay
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers