50%
Choice Three
17%
Choice Four
No votes

Total votes : 12

Re: WW/FA Keepers POLL

Postby baizboll » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:32 pm

ensanimal wrote:I still don't really understand why we don't want to be able to keep WW pickups. :-?

I know what you are saying. This is the first time I've been in a league where this has even been considered. I went back and re-read the thread that was the genesis of this poll. I think there may have been one sentence that gave a reason why someone did not want to keep WW pickups. It's hard to understand someone's point of view if there is no explanation of the point of view. :-S
"Baizboll bin bery, bery good to me!" ~ Chico Escuela

baizboll
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ensanimal » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:03 pm

j24jags wrote:The premise is that if a top prospect is called up and is added then it is not fair that the person with the #1 priority gets to keep a top prospect for such a low price.

So I'll just draft them in the last round instead and keep him benched all year.

At least with WW it gives everyone a chance. It uses strategy as in when to use it or not. Use it for the solid but unspectacular vet that could help down the stretch? Use it on the first prospect up, but what if a better prospect gets promoted later?

I'm just saying.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 112)

Postby Tenacious D-Store » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:36 pm

I tend to agree with ensanimal, we're all going to burn waivers in this league. If someone happens to reserve theirs and picks up a stud, then they deserve it for using their claims wisely and climbing waiver priority ranks.
Tenacious D-Store
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Postby baizboll » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:24 pm

j24jags wrote:The premise is that if a top prospect is called up and is added then it is not fair that the person with the #1 priority gets to keep a top prospect for such a low price.

Some people are better than others at managing where they sit in waivers order. There is always going to be someone first in line for waivers no matter how they got there. If you don't want someone to luck out because they are first in line when a stud gets called up, change the waiver order to reverse order of standings.

Or maybe there should be some concern when a team gets hit with a rash of injuries and has to waive a good player because he needs a replacement and can't add anybody to the DL. Whoever is high up on the waiver priority may be able to claim the good player and stash him. Is that "fair"? What defines "fair"? It's all part of the strategy of the game and whether to give priority to this year or next year.

This league doesn't use contracts or salary caps so there is only a certain amount of strategy that can be used in building a team for the future. Why limit that ability even more?

baizboll
College Coach
College Coach

Postby chris8 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:34 pm

Tenacious D-Store wrote:I tend to agree with ensanimal, we're all going to burn waivers in this league. If someone happens to reserve theirs and picks up a stud, then they deserve it for using their claims wisely and climbing waiver priority ranks.

I'm in agreement with this as well - and I'm speaking as the guy who'll start the season with the last waiver priority!
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 103)

Postby baizboll » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:44 pm

Can someone please answer this so I get a better understanding of the procedure on Yahoo.

baizboll wrote:I haven't played at Yahoo for about 10 years so I need a refresher before I vote. When a player first gets called up from the minors, I am assuming he goes on waivers for 2 days and if no one claims him, he becomes a free agent. Is that true?

And also this.
baizboll wrote:If that is true, then my next question concerns Choice 2:
"FAs can be kept for a 15th Round Pick (Escalates for two seasons)
WW Additions to Yahoo (Ex. Top Prospect called up, picked up by person with top priority) CANNOT be kept"

Should I interpret this to mean if a player gets called up and claimed off waivers, he can not be kept? But if a player gets called up, doesn't get claimed off waivers and goes into the FA pool after 2 days, he can be picked up and used as a keeper at the cost of a 15th rounder?

baizboll
College Coach
College Coach

Postby baizboll » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:01 pm

Thanks

baizboll
College Coach
College Coach