Minnesota OF logjam - who has a full-time job? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Minnesota OF logjam - who has a full-time job?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Minnesota OF logjam - who has a full-time job?

Postby AllDay » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:00 am

Kingctb27 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:It'll be...Kubel as DH, Gomez as CF, Span in RF, Young in LF, with Cuddyer taking the corners and DH as needed.

I'd personally switch Span and Young as Delmon has the stronger arm (though strangely not as strong as Gomez's arm). The problem is that Span and Gomez are both CF's, as is up and coming prospect Aaron Hicks.

Add Ben Revere to that list as well.

Apparently Span is the only OF that has been moved around in ST. Gardenhire likes Gomez in CF - but Span may be competing there as well as LF. Cuddyer is apparently set in RF - but I really don't see a lot of upside there. He's had one solid year and that was barely enough to justify a spot in RF.

There could be a lot of Delmon/Cuddyer/even Kubel OBP's that turn into Span PR's. He may even PH for Gomez when needed. Right now I think Span is moved around to rest other OF's and is used early and often as a PR/PH when he does not start.

Until a trade happens I think the Twins will be using an OF rotation often. Span will play alot even if he doesn't start at a particular spot. He is a spark plug - but his play may come at the expense of the other fielders.

Twins OF seems a risky fantasy play to me in general. I don't know how often you are going to get your 4 AB's or have to sub out your players.

This seems typical Twins small market strategy to me. They can play a bit of the NL substitution game with their OF to their advantage since they have no star OF and a variety of complementary OF's. In fact - they almost have to play that game with their OF to get an advatage.
AllDay
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rookies and cream » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:17 am

I'd put my money on Span being the odd man out. He has the worst track record of the group and he is off to an awful start this spring.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:45 am

Gomez has been looking very solid -- CF should be set.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:42 pm

How is Delmon looking? I just took him late in one league, but I didn't realize he could be the odd man out. I had read something a few weeks ago that said it would likely be Cuddyer, but apparently that has changed.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:28 pm

pokerplaya wrote:How is Delmon looking? I just took him late in one league, but I didn't realize he could be the odd man out. I had read something a few weeks ago that said it would likely be Cuddyer, but apparently that has changed.

7 for 12 in spring training so far with a double and two RBIs. As a Twins fan I may be biased, but I don't think he deserves all the criticism he got last year. As a 22 year old he hit .290, with 10 HRs, and 14 SBs (.297 and 7 HRs after the All-Star break). That's not easy to do. I'd say his power comes back and he settles in as a 20-30 HR guy later on in his career.

The reason Gardy doesn't want him in the lineup is because he defense was so bad last year. If he improves his defense, he'll get his playing time (being more patient at the plate would be a bonus).

Kubel flat out cannot hit lefties so Young will see regular time at DH. Also, since he can play either LF or RF he'll get to play on off-days for both Span and Cuddyer and should an injury occur he'll immediately grab the starting role.

He still has good upside this year so don't completely abandon ship. Just monitor the situation and pay attention to when you should be using him.
Last edited by jake_twothousandfive on Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby kab21 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:08 pm

People are quick to forget that in '06 and '07 Cuddyer had a .865 and .790 OPS which I would consider ambitious numbers for Delmon or even Span (who has alot more defensive value). Cuddyer does need to show that he is recovered from his multiple hand injuries which is no guarantee.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 166)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers