Minnesota OF logjam - who has a full-time job? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Minnesota OF logjam - who has a full-time job?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Minnesota OF logjam - who has a full-time job?

Postby stumpak » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:54 pm

I assume that Kubel will be DH and that Gomez has a job in CF and Young in LF. What abotu RF? Can we expect Cuddyer, Span or a platoon since they are L/R? Have the Twins made any decisions on this or is it speculation at this point?
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Minnesota OF logjam - who has a full-time job?

Postby Jschmuck2 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:58 pm

Last I heard, Denard Span had the full time job out there.
Jschmuck2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby San D » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:06 pm

The manager stated that Young was the odd man out back in the early winter but has since retracted the statement and said that they are all competing for a job this spring. I have to guess though that Young would still be the odd man out if they all hit a ton this spring. All in all, they'll all probably get pretty equal at bats (Cuddyer, Kubel, Young, Span, Gomez). There is another scenario I could see where Gomez really struggles at the plate this spring and gets sent down to AAA until someone gets hurt.
San D
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby MasterX1918 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:31 pm

I see Cuddyer being used as a utility player, personally.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby kab21 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:36 pm

I expect in the early going for each OF'er to get a day off each week and Kubel has only been the DH against RHP so that eases the logjam a little. I think Gardy might prefer to go with Span and Gomez for the defensive benefit. Leaving Cuddyer and Young competing against each other. But all of them will play.

Gomez - a top rated defensive OF'er that was a mess on offense. But I read a comment that he has cleaned up his swing mechanics from god-awful to still needs improvement. Hopefully he plays tomorrow against the Yankees (on the MLB network).
Span - average defensive CF'er, but plus defense on the corners. And he showed a very desirable skillset last year with good avg, good BB rate, and some gap power. As long as last year wasn't a fluke, he'll be in the lineup almost everyday.
Young - hasn't lived up to expectations, but hasn't been terrible at the plate (like Gomez). Poor defensively but had a minor sprained ankle for the last month or two.
Cuddyer - had a terrible '08 with several injuries. Broke his foot in his final rehab game last august after having multiple hand injuries.
Has similar offensive/defensive value to Delmon although he has been more productive in the past. Delmon is still all about upside and projection.
Kubel - solid power hitter that has struggled against lefties. I would expect Delmon or Cuddyer to DH against lefties.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 166)

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:17 pm

It'll be...Kubel as DH, Gomez as CF, Span in RF, Young in LF, with Cuddyer taking the corners and DH as needed.

I'd personally switch Span and Young as Delmon has the stronger arm (though strangely not as strong as Gomez's arm). The problem is that Span and Gomez are both CF's, as is up and coming prospect Aaron Hicks.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 124)

Postby kab21 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:48 am

Havok1517 wrote:It'll be...Kubel as DH, Gomez as CF, Span in RF, Young in LF, with Cuddyer taking the corners and DH as needed.

I'd personally switch Span and Young as Delmon has the stronger arm (though strangely not as strong as Gomez's arm). The problem is that Span and Gomez are both CF's, as is up and coming prospect Aaron Hicks.

Hicks is 3 yrs away, not something to worry about. And Span is only average defensively in center. And it is the new trend to play 2+ CF'ers out there (obviously not both in center :-D ). Defense is in.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:19 am

Right now Delmon Young is the odd man out.

Cuddyer can't play LF and Gardy seems determined to get him regular playing time so he should occupy most of the time in RF. Gomez has CF to himself right now...Span doesn't have enough defensive ability to supplant him and Pridie just doesn't have enough talent to do so. Gardy loves the way Span plays so he's going to get his time. Since he can't play CF and Cuddyer needs to be in RF, the only place to put him was in LF -- supplanting Young in the process.

Kubel can't hit lefties at all, so Young seems most likely to split time with him at DH. Young can also play either corner when either Cuddyer or Span need an off day.

PER ROTOWORLD.COM
Delmon Young-OF - Twins Dec. 5 - 9:42 am et

Asked Thursday about the Twins' crowded outfield, manager Ron Gardenhire replied that Michael Cuddyer, Carlos Gomez and Denard Span "have to play every day" while Delmon Young is merely "in the mix."

"[Young] is a hell of a player, a hell of a talent," Gardenhire said. "But to me, those three guys should be your outfield and then you go from there." Twins fans who saw Young post a 741 OPS while playing poor defense may agree with Gardenhire, but it's still surprising to hear him say that publicly amid speculation that the team is looking to deal an outfielder. According to the Minneapolis Star Tribune, the Rockies have expressed interest in Young and the Twins have previously been linked to Garrett Atkins.

--Old posting, but it's still accurate.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Kingctb27 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:20 am

Havok1517 wrote:It'll be...Kubel as DH, Gomez as CF, Span in RF, Young in LF, with Cuddyer taking the corners and DH as needed.

Add Ben Revere to that list as well.
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby kab21 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:43 am

Interesting. I don't know where Kelly (mlb.com's Twins writer) is referencing Gardenhires preference (other articles or an interview or ?) but apparently Cuddyer is set in RF with Kubel at DH. It doesn't seem quite right, but she's got her sources.

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/news/art ... p&c_id=min
I am aware that Denard Span spent much of his time in right field in 2008. Since manager Ron Gardenhire wants Michael Cuddyer back in right field for 2009, will Span move to center, and will Carlos Gomez and Delmon Young be fighting for the left field spot?
-- Dan C., Minneapolis, Minn.

The only role that Gardenhire has defined in the outfield so far this spring is right field -- which will be occupied by Cuddyer. As for the other three outfielders, Gardenhire has said that he will shuffle them around the field in order to get them at-bats.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers