Axis and Allies - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Video Games

Axis and Allies

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Axis and Allies

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:49 pm

If anyone is a fan of the board game like me then you are going to like this.
http://triplea.sourceforge.net/mywiki
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Axis and Allies

Postby WaCougMBS » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:01 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:If anyone is a fan of the board game like me then you are going to like this.

Oh man I used to love this game! Brings back memories of 6-hour sessions between my brother and my neighbors and I in high school :-D

I'll definitely be checking this out ;-D
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:13 pm

WaCougMBS wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:If anyone is a fan of the board game like me then you are going to like this.

Oh man I used to love this game! Brings back memories of 6-hour sessions between my brother and my neighbors and I in high school :-D

Nice thing about the game on the computer is it takes less than half the time. No pieces to move and no dice to roll saves an amazing amount of time. :-D
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby WaCougMBS » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:16 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
WaCougMBS wrote:

Nice thing about the game on the computer is it takes less than half the time. No pieces to move and no dice to roll saves an amazing amount of time. :-D

Sounds great! So you've played this version before? It's ok, with no crazy viruses or anything I take it? :-?
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:45 am

Yes, there is a stable and an unstable verision. The stable version has everything but the 50th anniversery edition. I only recently checked out the unstable version.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby WaCougMBS » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:07 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Yes, there is a stable and an unstable verision. The stable version has everything but the 50th anniversery edition. I only recently checked out the unstable version.

Cool, I'll definitely be looking into this! Any online capabilities, or is it just for playing against people in the same location? :-?
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:02 pm

You can play online. I haven't done it cause it asked me to reconfigure my router and it seemed like a hassle. I've been playing my brothers and we just email the game file back to each other.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Invictus » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:31 am

I never actually played Axis and Allies, but saw my friends playing it a lot. It seems kind of like a combination of Warhammer 40K (another I have not played) - Dungeons and Dragons (have played) and Risk. Is this a fair assessment? What is the learning curve on the game?
Invictus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:11 am

It is like Risk on steroids. The strategy behind it isn't that complex. As long as you know the cost/attack/defend/movement of the pieces you should be fine.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby woodson_28 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:21 am

Invictus wrote:Is this a fair assessment? What is the learning curve on the game?

Ya, that's a good assessment. It's pretty much risk, but more in-depth and entertaining (and challenging). Quite a bit of strategy involved.

The learning curve isn't bad, especially if you've played Risk. I would say that going through the online game (which can take 2-5 hours a game), you'll probably have most the game down pat by the 5th game.

Anyway, I play online here guys: http://www.gametableonline.com/gameinfo.php?gid=24

Registration is free, and I've been playing there (use to Westcoast) for about 8 months now and no viruses, so it's great. Just click on the "Enter The Gathering Place to play this game >" and it will prompt you to register. After that, it will launch the java window. Once there, you can "create" a game of axis and allies (or join an existing one). It's great, as you can play 4 other people online, or just play against the computer to build a strategy.

My brother-in-law and I use to play it quite a bit. If anybody is interested in getting a few people together online and playing sometime, I'm up. If a person quits than his teammates take over his country. if all players on one side quite, the computer takes over the team.
woodson_28
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Video Games