We THOUGHT Manny agreed TO Dodgers latest offer of 2/$45 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

We THOUGHT Manny agreed TO Dodgers latest offer of 2/$45

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: We THOUGHT Manny agreed TO Dodgers latest offer of 2/$45

Postby KCollins1304 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:33 pm

Matthias wrote:
ayebatter wrote:
Matthias wrote:
Basically, he didn't get any more money, just another team.

With a huge Mexican American fan base, in a part of the country where locals grew up in cities and streets starting with words like San-Los-Via-Calle, where he's loved for being Manny, not reviled for being Manny. ;-D

edit: where the name Ramirez takes up as many pages of the phone books as Smith & Jones.

It also potentially cost Manny another WS ring. Bay is not Manny as a hitter and the Red Sox in the second half were not nearly the team they were in the first. Not to take anything away from the Rays, they had a great season, but if Manny had stayed in Boston, he at least would've had a shot at a third.

It's a two way street though and you could say the Red Sox cost themselves a WS by not picking up Manny's options and keeping him happy.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:41 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
Matthias wrote:So Manny and Boras went through all this to get $5MM more in contract amount (and probably much less in real amount since it sounds like the Dodger money is deferred) than the two Red Sox options at $20MM per that was so onerous? I mean, I can see it from Boras' perspective since he wasn't Manny's agent when Manny did the deal with Boston so wasn't getting anything out of it, but from Manny's perspective..... dang. That has to be disappointing.

Hard to see how bad this market was going to be last summer when everything went down. But yeah, has to be disappointing for him.

Karma is a bitch isn't it?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby ayebatter » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:07 pm

AussieDodger wrote:
ayebatter wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:LAME

What's lame is Oakland fan's thinking they'll have Holliday past the trade dead line. :-D

I never said I thought that :-S :-S

*cough*paying your 4th OFer 9 million a year *cough*

;-7

But he's fast, think Oakland would trade Holliday for him. :-D
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1390)

Postby mweir145 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:37 pm

Matthias wrote:So Manny and Boras went through all this to get $5MM more in contract amount (and probably much less in real amount since it sounds like the Dodger money is deferred) than the two Red Sox options at $20MM per that was so onerous? I mean, I can see it from Boras' perspective since he wasn't Manny's agent when Manny did the deal with Boston so wasn't getting anything out of it, but from Manny's perspective..... dang. That has to be disappointing.

He's way cooler now that he's on the Dodgers. He did it for his rep. :-D
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby mweir145 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:38 pm

Oh, and it looks like Boras got what he wanted in these negotiations. Not a surprise.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:41 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:
Matthias wrote:
ayebatter wrote:With a huge Mexican American fan base, in a part of the country where locals grew up in cities and streets starting with words like San-Los-Via-Calle, where he's loved for being Manny, not reviled for being Manny. ;-D

edit: where the name Ramirez takes up as many pages of the phone books as Smith & Jones.

It also potentially cost Manny another WS ring. Bay is not Manny as a hitter and the Red Sox in the second half were not nearly the team they were in the first. Not to take anything away from the Rays, they had a great season, but if Manny had stayed in Boston, he at least would've had a shot at a third.

It's a two way street though and you could say the Red Sox cost themselves a WS by not picking up Manny's options and keeping him happy.

So glad that didn't happen...can you imagine Papelbon celebrating another WS victory? I can't imagine being able to deal with it, I'd have to stop watching baseball.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby hybrid » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:57 pm

Matthias wrote:It also potentially cost Manny another WS ring. Bay is not Manny as a hitter and the Red Sox in the second half were not nearly the team they were in the first. Not to take anything away from the Rays, they had a great season, but if Manny had stayed in Boston, he at least would've had a shot at a third.

Not sure how you can blame the drop off on Bay, the numbers were pretty close and certainly not a big enough difference to be blamed for not winning a ring.

2008 Boston - Manny - .299/.398/.529/.927
2008 Boston - Bay - .293/.370/.527/.897
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:05 pm

mweir145 wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:
Matthias wrote:It also potentially cost Manny another WS ring. Bay is not Manny as a hitter and the Red Sox in the second half were not nearly the team they were in the first. Not to take anything away from the Rays, they had a great season, but if Manny had stayed in Boston, he at least would've had a shot at a third.

So glad that didn't happen...can you imagine Papelbon celebrating another WS victory? I can't imagine being able to deal with it, I'd have to stop watching baseball.

but isn't that papelbon celebtrating in your sig??? i don't get it... :-S
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 428)

Postby kab21 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:17 pm

I can't wait until next offseason when he opts out and the circus begins again. ;-D
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 177)

Postby Matthias » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:18 pm

hybrid wrote:

Not sure how you can blame the drop off on Bay, the numbers were pretty close and certainly not a big enough difference to be blamed for not winning a ring.

2008 Boston - Manny - .299/.398/.529/.927
2008 Boston - Bay - .293/.370/.527/.897

Because even at those numbers it was as if Manny was dogging it.

Post-ASB (basically post-trade) Manny's #s were:
.388 / .485 / .723 / 1.208

That and Manny is just more of a professional hitter than Bay. It's one of those intangible things.... in the WS against Colorado, there was one game where he started off with a count 0-2 and twice (or three times maybe?) worked it into a walk. And at least one of those were with the bases loaded.

He just adds something to the lineup that is simply not there with Bay. That's why he could have been enough of a difference to win a ring (emphasis on could have).
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers