Prospect Draft: Alvarez vs Smoak vs Mike Stanton vs Alonso - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Prospect Draft: Alvarez vs Smoak vs Mike Stanton vs Alonso

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Prospect Draft: Alvarez vs Smoak vs Mike Stanton vs Alonso

Postby black_hawk8888 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:41 pm

Who do you take from this group if position is irrelevant? I lean towards Stanton because he's done well with wooden bats but give me a reason to choose the other guys...

Thanks!
black_hawk8888
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Prospect Draft: Alvarez vs Smoak vs Mike Stanton vs Alonso

Postby Kraftwerk » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:21 pm

Alvarez
Smoak
Alonso

Stanton

;-D
Kraftwerk
College Coach
College Coach

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J35J » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:44 pm

The college guys could go in any order and I wouldn't mind to much though I'm one of the few who like Smoak and Alonso a touch more than Alvarez....but yeah Stanton would be 4th on that list for me as well.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)

Postby black_hawk8888 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:15 pm

Thanks fellas - consensus is he doesn't belong with the top college guys. Smoak is my personal favorite but I didn't know if I was ignoring Stanton too much...
black_hawk8888
College Coach
College Coach

Postby J35J » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:20 pm

black_hawk8888 wrote:Thanks fellas - consensus is he doesn't belong with the top college guys. Smoak is my personal favorite but I didn't know if I was ignoring Stanton too much...
He's in the conversation with them its just he needs to cut down on those strike out totals or he might not progress as well as you'd like to see. Time will tell.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby TurdFerguson » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:44 pm

Stanton is definitely in the same league as those three talent wise..Stanton is obviously not as polished as those guys but he is also 2 years younger than all three..Like J said he needs to cut down on his Ks..The sky is the limit for Stanton but is riskier than the college hitters..
TurdFerguson
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:13 pm

Alvarez easy.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Steve-o » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:38 pm

Isn't Smoak pretty well blocked until at least 2010?

The rangers have Chris Davis at 1b (who everybody but me loves this year), Michael Young at 3B (who they will not move again and is signed through 2013), Nelson Cruz in R/LF (had a better second half than Chris Davis and is just as cheap), David Murphy in R/LF (who the manager loves and considers him "an everyday player") and Hank Blalock at DH (who has 1 year left at 6M+). Even assuming you don't believe Nolan Ryan when he says Josh Hamilton will move to RF, where the heck is Smoak going to play?

Granted, I love Smoak's offensive potential, but I would drat him thinking he would impact a team in any way this year.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby J35J » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:14 pm

Steve-o wrote:Isn't Smoak pretty well blocked until at least 2010?

The rangers have Chris Davis at 1b (who everybody but me loves this year), Michael Young at 3B (who they will not move again and is signed through 2013), Nelson Cruz in R/LF (had a better second half than Chris Davis and is just as cheap), David Murphy in R/LF (who the manager loves and considers him "an everyday player") and Hank Blalock at DH (who has 1 year left at 6M+). Even assuming you don't believe Nolan Ryan when he says Josh Hamilton will move to RF, where the heck is Smoak going to play?

Granted, I love Smoak's offensive potential, but I would drat him thinking he would impact a team in any way this year.

A trade somewhere obviously....if Smoak is good enough he'll find a spot somewhere on some team. You act like 2010 is a long way away...I wouldn't expect him until 2010 even if they had an opening somewhere anyway.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby black_hawk8888 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:12 pm

Well if you use that argument, Alonso is in the same boat. He's blocked by Votto and there is no DH slot for him to get ABs in 2010. I think the Rangers will find a way to utilize their blue chip prospect in Smoak either at 1B (gold glove potential defender) or at DH (Blalock doesn't seem to be the long term answer).

My big hang up with Alvarez is that he is in Pittsburgh. A team with a poor track record on talent development...

Stanton seems to have a fast track to the OF in Florida since the only sure thing there right now is Hermida but his K's are an issue and he seems to be more raw than either Smoak or Alvarez.

Fun discussion guys.
black_hawk8888
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball