MLB 2K9 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Video Games

MLB 2K9

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: MLB 2K9

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:29 pm

i bought this for PC and yuck, it's not very good. i wouldn't pay anything more than the 20 bucks it cost.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby j24jags » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:46 pm

Casual baseball fans may not notice some of the problems with MLB 2K9, but those who dedicate themselves to the franchise mode and playing dozens if not hundreds of games will find the AI issues and bugs mounting up to unacceptable levels. The most egregious happens on occasion with balls that hit the outfield fence and die near the warning track. I've witnessed a few occasions where the outfielder continually runs in place against the fence as the batter is able to trot around the bases for an inside-the-park homer. One time the left fielder clipped through the fence and disappeared for a few seconds, only to reappear and make a throw to home.

That's just one excerpt. This review seems pretty accurate.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/958/958873p1.html
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby WickedSmaat » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:02 pm

The one thing I can't stand the most is when fielding, if there's a sudden change of direction my outfielders go like 1/4 speed and can't catch the fly ball. It may be a cause of my sticks, but it may not. I usually try to jump on the ball direction as it's hit but sometimes I just have to go in instead of back and it generally lands short. Ugh.

I've have the AI glitch a few times for ItPHRs, and it is kind of annoying but it hasn't happened too many times to have me shut the game off or anything. There's flaws to it, but I really just wanted a baseball game since I hadn't had one for 3 years.
WickedSmaat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby j24jags » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:17 pm

WickedSmaat wrote:The one thing I can't stand the most is when fielding, if there's a sudden change of direction my outfielders go like 1/4 speed and can't catch the fly ball. It may be a cause of my sticks, but it may not. I usually try to jump on the ball direction as it's hit but sometimes I just have to go in instead of back and it generally lands short. Ugh.

I've have the AI glitch a few times for ItPHRs, and it is kind of annoying but it hasn't happened too many times to have me shut the game off or anything. There's flaws to it, but I really just wanted a baseball game since I hadn't had one for 3 years.

I agree with that. I have very few "gappers," my only balls that land in the gap are ripped line drivers into left-center/right-center, but the computer gets a hit everytime it's hit into the outfield because my OFs are so slow and can't catch the ball too..
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby WickedSmaat » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:36 pm

I actually use some custom sliders to make things a bit more realistic, and one of them was actually slowing down the Computer AI so that I could get a few gappers, because some of them I felt would never been caught in real life unless there was a speedster in the outfield
WickedSmaat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby drunkmonkey » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:31 pm

I rented this, and in the few days I played it encountered too many bugs to warrant buying it. CPU outfielders would run in circles around balls hit to the wall, once giving me a triple with Yadier Molina! Sac flies were near impossible. I once hit a ball to deep center field, and as soon as it was caught, sent the runner from third. He was NAILED at the plate...not even close. I viewed the replay to see what went wrong, and my runner was jogging the whole way, as if it was a home run.

Another issue not related to game play, but still makes the game look bad, were the stat displays. I was using the Cardinals, and before each player's first at-bat, a stat would display. Among the ones seen were Albert Pujols - "NL MVP in 216" and Khalil Greene "15th in the NL in Home Runs in 2008".
drunkmonkey
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jfg » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:21 pm

The bugs seem to be fixed now....
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 84)

Postby the ROC » Sat May 02, 2009 1:19 am

It will be a great day when 2k's license deal expires and we can go back to "seeing it all with the Hitter's Eye" like mvp 05 (which i still play on occasion).

I made a bet in 2003 that the Devil Rays would win the 2008 World Series. Oh so close.
the ROC
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert
Location: Defending my Baseball, Football, and Hockey Fantasy Championships

Postby zepfan » Sat May 02, 2009 1:36 pm

drunkmonkey wrote:I rented this, and in the few days I played it encountered too many bugs to warrant buying it. CPU outfielders would run in circles around balls hit to the wall, once giving me a triple with Yadier Molina! Sac flies were near impossible. I once hit a ball to deep center field, and as soon as it was caught, sent the runner from third. He was NAILED at the plate...not even close. I viewed the replay to see what went wrong, and my runner was jogging the whole way, as if it was a home run.

Another issue not related to game play, but still makes the game look bad, were the stat displays. I was using the Cardinals, and before each player's first at-bat, a stat would display. Among the ones seen were Albert Pujols - "NL MVP in 216" and Khalil Greene "15th in the NL in Home Runs in 2008".

Historical events of the year 216 AD:

Cao Cao became King of Wei.
The Baths of Caracalla in Rome are completed.
The basilica of Leptis Magna, ordered by Septimus Severus, was completed.
Albert Pujols wins NL MVP

Also, this proves my suspicion that A-Poo is older than his listed age. :-b

Anyway, I haven't played since 2k7 but it's hard to believe a franchise that's running on 3-4 years not only doesn't seem to be improving but actually seems to be getting worse. Oh well, at least this way they never have to worry about hitting a plateau and running out of ideas for next year's game. :-°

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Previous

Return to Video Games