MLB 2K9 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Video Games

MLB 2K9

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

MLB 2K9

Postby teddy ballgame » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:39 pm

Anyone play the demo? I downloaded it on Tuesday and I'm once again not impressed. It's so disappointing year after year to not have a solid baseball game. I'm not expecting a next-gen MVP Baseball anymore, I just want something that doesn't completely suck.

I actually kind of like the pitching, but in the demo almost every hit is a home run. The fielding is the worst part though. The fielders move unbearably slow, and I'll hit a button to throw 3 times before they decide to do it sometimes. Yet despite this, I'm actually considering getting it, just because I'm so starved for a baseball game. :-[
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: MLB 2K9

Postby zepfan » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:25 pm

I know what you mean, the 2K series sucks IMO. I've never played the MVP series although I've heard it was awesome. If you're looking to find a worthy next-gen baseball game, I would say The Show definitely qualifies. Road To The Show is a great feature and all aspects of the gameplay very good. It's miles above 2K IMO. I would give it a try if you haven't yet.

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Postby teddy ballgame » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:38 pm

I've actually played The Show and did like it much better than 2K, but I have a 360 and The Show is a PlayStation exclusive. :-/
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:20 pm

yeah all i have is a PC so i'll have no choice but to go with 2k9. at $20, you can't complain too much but there's widespread disappointment with 2k9 it seems. i'm just glad baseball is back on PC finally.

i miss the days of High Heat...
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby KCollins1304 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:09 pm

The MLB 2k9 demo hasn't even come out on PSN yet. I'm buying the Show as I have since 06, but I like to at least see what the game is like and last year it was unplayable.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby WaCougMBS » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:46 pm

Why can't we go back to the good ol' days of MVP, etc? I am already prepared for this game sucking - maybe I'll have to break down and buy the Show for my PS2 :-o
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The_Show » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:18 am

I have a PS3 so I'm fortunate enough to have a choice. I've played both demos and 09 is definitely better. I do like 2K9's hitting system since it's different from what I'm used to, but that's about it. The commentary is pretty good too, but that may just be due to 09 not making many changes the past few years so I've might of grown tired of the same thing over and over.

Some interesting things I've noticed:
Steve Phillips calling Scott Kazmir a good hitter
Got intentionally walked when I had an 0-1 count (took a terrible swing too)
Trying to climb the wall resulted in a head first dive into the outfield wall (might just be me one that one)
The clouds are moving really fast (small detail)
Although they boast about signature styles, Shane Victorino doesn't have his signature double flap helmet
The_Show
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertWeb Supporter

Postby MasterX1918 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:18 pm

The_Show wrote:Although they boast about signature styles, Shane Victorino doesn't have his signature double flap helmet

that's because he's a switch hitter. :-[

anyways i'm hearing really bad things about MLB 2K9 this year and it's really upsetting since i'm a 360 owner who gets the game every year. Just go to operationsports and you'll see what I mean.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby jfg » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:07 pm

I'm a casual gamer and I really like 2K9. I can finally use the right stick to hit and pitch and do ok. I think they made the game for people like me and are ticking off a lot of the hardcore sports gamers.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby WaCougMBS » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:25 pm

So, is the general consensus that I would be better served by "cheating down" and buying The Show 09 for my PS2 instead if I am one of the anal-type that will be annoyed by the wonkyness of this game? :-?

There aren't any reviews for it yet, so I'm a bit nervous to buy based on the PS3 review :-o
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Video Games