Offensive messages and e-mails - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Offensive messages and e-mails

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Offensive messages and e-mails

Postby Tenacious D-Store » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:59 pm

Hey guys, I've been commissioning leagues for about 6 years and if I do say so myself I run a damn good league and have never had any major issues. Usually I do private leagues and know the people who join, but every now and then I do a public league for some new competition. In a league that only finished drafting 5 hours ago, already I am getting complaints about one specific member of the league sending offensive messages and racial slurs to people who have shot down trades offers from him. I myself, have also been subject to this now, and there is also a message on the league board containing both profanity and a racial slur. With a team name like "BumSniffingDitchPigs" I knew I was going to have a character in the league, but he's not half as funny as he thinks he is. I try to be a very liberal commish and allow others to express themselves and their personality, but we're 5 hours in and this guy is already starting to get to people. My personal request (and a rather polite request at that) for him to tone it down, was also responded to in much the same way. I WILL NOT lock his team as has been requested by some in the league, but should I block his ability to e-mail others and post on the message board? I've never had to do that before and I don't really want to start now. Or should I just let the rest of the league deal with it and hope our bad apple gets bored and calms down? I'm all for trash talk, but this really doesn't qualify. Just looking for opinions.
Tenacious D-Store
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Offensive messages and e-mails

Postby Johnny Tuttle » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:02 am

Hey, Ten:

Tell him like it is--something you've already done, but because he's responded that poorly to you already, there's your window to do it again.

Take away his email and posting abilities for a week at a time twice, and then cut him off. Be sure to warn him before you do it.

Trash talk is fine for most even if I'm not much of a fan. Slurs and insults aren't.

I'd also tell the league about your plan--without calling him out specifically. That way, they know you're acting. You'd hate to lose half your league in February.

Tuttle
Johnny Tuttle
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 36)

Postby Trojan Pony » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:44 am

In that sort of situation, stripping posting privileges is more than warranted. Smack talk is one thing... ranting is one thing... using racial epithets and creating a hostile, threatening environment is a whole other ballgame altogether. Yes, you should warn him, but if that doesn't do anything, don't be afraid to pull the trigger. That kind of stuff can ruin leagues, and fast. If he responds by dumping his players or anything, don't hesitate to boot him and replace him. I would NOT wait for things to sort themselves out, it's just not a realistic expectation when you're dealing with someone who's that irrational this early in the season. You run the risk of looking like a weak commish if you do that and things don't improve or get worse. Be fair but take decisive action. That kind of behaviour should not be tolerated in any league. Sorry to hear you're in that unenviable situation. :-t
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Tenacious D-Store » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:38 am

Thanks guys, I actually already revoked his posting messages as things got even worse last night when other GM's begain to retaliate against him. He still sending his crazy trade offers (complete with offensive messages) but at least that probably means he'll stay active. The rest of the league should to as this seems to have fired them up and they want to crush this kid (who actually has a decent team).
It be nice if sites like Yahoo allowed owners to block trade offers from specific GM's. Sporting News leagues used to do that, don't know if they still do. Anyway at least the message board is quieter.
Tenacious D-Store
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Postby Trojan Pony » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:19 pm

As much as it might "fire people up", I think you're making a mistake letting someone like that stay in your league. Just my 2 cents.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Kimbos Beard » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:56 pm

Trojan Pony wrote:As much as it might "fire people up", I think you're making a mistake letting someone like that stay in your league. Just my 2 cents.

I agree in the sense that I have seen guys like this plenty of times and he might as well not be in your league, because I am pretty sure in a few days he will not be posting anymore and after a week or two into the season he won't even be checking his team.

Everyone's been in a public league with a guy like this, they draft, bust bulls and then stop playing after two weeks. This guy probably finds the fun part in offending the other managers and reading his own posts, not in actually playing. So once he realizes he cant post or offend anymore he will be done.
Kimbos Beard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)

Postby Tenacious D-Store » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:15 pm

I agree, but the draft is complete, and I can't replace him. All I can do is lock his team and let it be dead. That's a last resort, I've minimized the damage he can do without restricting his ability to manage his team. The sad thing is, I doubt this is even a young kid. I guarantee his in his 20's or 30's. That's just sad.
Tenacious D-Store
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Postby baizboll » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:45 pm

Some people join leagues just to bust chops and be a jerk. I'd stop him from posting as you have done. He will either stop monitoring the team or dump everybody onto the waiver wire. You might want to think about how to handle his team going onto waivers before he does it. Locking the team would at least prevent that from happening.
"Baizboll bin bery, bery good to me!" ~ Chico Escuela

baizboll
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Tenacious D-Store » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:48 pm

Yeah the thought of him dumping his roster has occurred to me, esp since I do invoke an "undroppable" list of players in my leagues. With a 2 day waiver period I should be able to repair the damage if he does. He drafted a hell of a team, so he has some knowledge of what he's doing. I'm prepared to give him the opportunity to manage his league. Thanks for the thoughts guys.
Tenacious D-Store
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Return to Commissioner's Corner