Rules for Keepers who were picked up off Waivers or FAs - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to The Brushback League

Rules for Keepers who were picked up off Waivers or FAs

Moderators: Fade2White12, j24jags

Re: Rules for Keepers who were picked up off Waivers or FAs

Postby Matt_Domsic » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:15 pm

ayebatter wrote:
ayebatter wrote: WW pickups should not be kept at all.

TenD, what I said 5/6 posts ago.

I agree. With the priority system, it doesn't seem all that fair. Leave the possible keepers taken from the waiver up for grabs in the following year's draft
Matt_Domsic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tenacious D-Store » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:28 pm

ayebatter wrote:
ayebatter wrote: WW pickups should not be kept at all.

TenD, what I said 5/6 posts ago.

Not quite. I think free agent pick ups should be kept if owners want to keep them. I was suggesting eliminating the waiver process all together. So if a player was dropped, he would be available for pickup by another team immediatly. It could cause a problem if teams were conspiring with each other, but if everyone here is legit I'm not overly concerned. Like I said I was just throwing it out there.
Tenacious D-Store
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Postby j24jags » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:29 pm

Tenacious D-Store wrote:What if we did away with waivers all together and all new or released players became free agents? Not sure I really like that idea much myself, but just throwing it out there.

It's not quite fair to do away with waivers. Whoever is selected at 12th overall will probably not be as good as Hanley Ramirez, so CadensDad deserves a better waiver priority than chris8. Also, if one person checks the Yahoo league 24/7, they would get every new top prospect added to Yahoo if we did away with waivers, which obviously would not be fair. If I am in class and GM A is at work, it is not fair that GM B is home sick and picks up Baseball America's top prospect who happens to be added to Yahoo that day.

I think I'm leaning towards the idea of not keeping FAs/WW pickups...
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby CadensDad » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:35 pm

j24jags wrote:
Tenacious D-Store wrote:What if we did away with waivers all together and all new or released players became free agents? Not sure I really like that idea much myself, but just throwing it out there.

It's not quite fair to do away with waivers. Whoever is selected at 12th overall will probably not be as good as Hanley Ramirez, so CadensDad deserves a better waiver priority than chris8. Also, if one person checks the Yahoo league 24/7, they would get every new top prospect added to Yahoo if we did away with waivers, which obviously would not be fair. If I am in class and GM A is at work, it is not fair that GM B is home sick and picks up Baseball America's top prospect who happens to be added to Yahoo that day.

Yea, I like that idea as well, lets not keep WW pickups

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby baizboll » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:49 pm

j24jags wrote:It's not quite fair to do away with waivers. Whoever is selected at 12th overall will probably not be as good as Hanley Ramirez, so CadensDad deserves a better waiver priority than chris8. Also, if one person checks the Yahoo league 24/7, they would get every new top prospect added to Yahoo if we did away with waivers, which obviously would not be fair. If I am in class and GM A is at work, it is not fair that GM B is home sick and picks up Baseball America's top prospect who happens to be added to Yahoo that day.

I agree that waivers should not be abolished which is a whole different issue than keeping FAs. But I don't see the link between your first comment and your conclusion of not keeping in-season pickups.

If a GM is smart or lucky enough to pick up a FA that turns out to be keeper material, why penalize him because no one else picked the player up. Back in 2005 I picked up Papelbon the day he was called up. He was later sent down the same season, but I kept him on my roster because I had followed him his whole minor league career and had high expectations. I put him on my keeper list for the next season and was rewarded. There are going to be rookies (like Ryan Braun), or set up guys that become closers, that get picked up during the season. If a GM has them on his roster, why tell him that he can't keep them for next season? We can only keep 5 players so I don't understand having any kind of restriction as to who can be kept other than a 3 year limit. Just my 2 cents. :-S
"Baizboll bin bery, bery good to me!" ~ Chico Escuela

baizboll
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Invictus » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:09 pm

I personally agree with J24jags - Im a college student, and if i'm in class when the next Papelbon or Braun comes on yahoo WW, then I have no opportunity to pick him up while someone at home does. Why should I be penalized beyond having to paying my tuition? 8-o. :~(. While I understand that the individual who picked him up would want the opportunity to keep him and be rewarded for his foresight, it's still not fair to those of us who may have had the foresight, but didn't even have a chance. I've been thinking a little about it and I think we shouldn't keep WW pick ups. There is too much chance involved. Throw them back into the pool at the end of the season.
Invictus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Matt_Domsic » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:21 pm

Invictus wrote:I personally agree with J24jags - Im a college student, and if i'm in class when the next Papelbon or Braun comes on yahoo WW, then I have no opportunity to pick him up while someone at home does. Why should I be penalized beyond having to paying my tuition? 8-o. :~(. While I understand that the individual who picked him up would want the opportunity to keep him and be rewarded for his foresight, it's still not fair to those of us who may have had the foresight, but didn't even have a chance. I've been thinking a little about it and I think we shouldn't keep WW pick ups. There is too much chance involved. Throw them back into the pool at the end of the season.

agree 100%... should we set up a poll about this J24jags?
Matt_Domsic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby baizboll » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:55 pm

Everybody gets onto the net at a different time of day, whether they are in the UK, east coast, west coast, student, businessman, truck driver, unemployed, or whatever. If the league rules are influenced by the time zone / profession / class schedule of the GMs, then whatever reasoning I try to offer is probably a wasted effort on my part. I've never been in a league before where you couldn't keep FAs or players taken off the waiver wire. It's just a strange concept to me. But obviously, whatever most GMs deem to be the best setup is the way it should be.

baizboll
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Tenacious D-Store » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:29 pm

baizboll wrote:Everybody gets onto the net at a different time of day, whether they are in the UK, east coast, west coast, student, businessman, truck driver, unemployed, or whatever. If the league rules are influenced by the time zone / profession / class schedule of the GMs, then whatever reasoning I try to offer is probably a wasted effort on my part. I've never been in a league before where you couldn't keep FAs or players taken off the waiver wire. It's just a strange concept to me. But obviously, whatever most GMs deem to be the best setup is the way it should be.

I'm actually with you on this, but I'm pretty easy going. Whatever the league majority decides is cool with me.
Tenacious D-Store
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Postby baizboll » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:08 pm

Tenacious D-Store wrote:I'm actually with you on this, but I'm pretty easy going. Whatever the league majority decides is cool with me.

This thread has gone from most posters trying to decide whether a FA/WW pickup should be classified as a 10th, 15th, or 20th rounder who should/should not get escalated ... to 180 degrees opposite with no FA/WW pickups being eligible as a keeper. Who knows what will happen when the next door is opened. :-o :-b

baizboll
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to The Brushback League