I would like to hear arguements for and against this strateg - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I would like to hear arguements for and against this strateg

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I would like to hear arguements for and against this strateg

Postby ebrage » Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:36 pm

Taking a pitcher in the first or second round, the reason I ask is in my league we start 5 sp's and if you have say 2 or even 3 top notch pitchers, but your other two are incosistent, they can put your era and whip out of whack. Whereas if you have more top notch hitters, if some of them have good weeks your other weeker hitter's do not "take away" their stats. The reason I ask is: last year I tried to have a balanced team and I always had 1 or 2 pitchers that stunk it up. I see alot of cases made for and against these strategy's and would like to hear more.
ebrage

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby KolbSaves » Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:00 pm

Well, the hitters do "take away" stats, in that they take away the potential of the cumulative stats. For example, if you have Mondesi in at Of and he hits 4 bombs in a month when you could have had Gibbons and he hits 8, then you lose 4 home runs. It's an implicit cost of choosing Mondesi, which you didn't consider in your argument. Remember, every pick you make has an opportunity cost. You gain the skills of the player you take, but lose the skills of the players you could have taken. Pitchers and hitters both are affected by this.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby xeifrank » Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:29 pm

You are talking about good and bad weeks. Is this Roto or H2H? What are your league settings, 5x5? positions? etc...

vr,

Xeifrank
Author of: 2013 Mock Draft Software
Author of: Dodger Sims
Author of: The Sober Angels
Author of: Xei On Sports
xeifrank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Zen Boy » Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:34 pm

I generally focus on accumulating good hitting in the early rounds. I feel like stud pitchers always crawl out of the woodwork during the season but not so much for hitters. Plus, good pitchers seem to go bust out of the blue moreso than good hitters.

I usually lock up one stud pitcher early and then wait to the mid to late rounds to draft a ton of young speculative pitchers, playing the odds that at least a few of them will work out. And then if I come up short on pitching, I can usually find someone willing to trade pitching for hitting.
Zen Boy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:38 pm

xeifrank wrote:You are talking about good and bad weeks. Is this Roto or H2H? What are your league settings, 5x5? positions? etc...

vr,

Xeifrank

5X5 roto, we start 5 sp and 1 closer, or 4 sp and 2 closers

Postby Arlo » Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:14 pm

I don't see any reason not to take a pitcher early. If Prior falls to you in the second, would you pass?
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:24 pm

Arlo wrote:I don't see any reason not to take a pitcher early. If Prior falls to you in the second, would you pass?

I guess not, but then at that point I guess I would try more for a strong pitching staff and hope nobody's arm falls off. :~(

Postby jrad32 » Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:48 pm

A stud pitcher, Prior, Pedro, Schilling, Unit (before last year) can take you a long way. I think it's OK to go after a stud, but then you want to make sure you don't get anyone who is going to explode your Whip or ERA. Draft a stud or two, but then draft safe starters who aren't going to post mammoth ERA's or Whips. No Russ Ortiz's or Freddy Garcia's.
Let's go Mets!
jrad32
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers