Matusz or Holland - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Matusz or Holland

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Matusz or Holland

Postby BeachBums » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:02 am

Who has more upside Between Brian Matusz or Derek Holland? Or are they fairly even?
BeachBums
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Matusz or Holland

Postby J35J » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:00 pm

Fairly close but with Hollands uptick in mph with his pitches this last year he has the higher upside at this point. We'll just have to see if Hollands new found increase in mph is for real this year. I really like the kid though. Matusz is more a polished pitcher without true dominate stuff at this point, but good pitches nonetheless....some say he's still got some room to grow and to gain a few mph on his pitches as well which would definately improve his stock.

For me, right now
1. Holland
2. Matusz
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby nate128 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:42 pm

Yeah i'd have to agree about Holland... although if he was pitching in a different park I think he'd be the obvious pick.
nate128
College Coach
College Coach

Postby NUTZ » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:07 pm

Derek Holland, SP, Rangers
If it seems as though the lefty Holland came out of nowhere as a top pitching prospect, well, it's because he kind of has. Holland barely hit 90 mph on the gun when he was drafted in 2006. His fastball now sits in the mid-90s and reaches up to 97 at times. Holland also has an above-average changeup to complement the fastball and give right-handers fits. His command is advanced enough that even though Neftali Feliz has the higher long-term ceiling, Holland could make a more immediate impact in 2009 if given a shot in the Rangers' rotation. The back end of the Rangers' rotation could be a train wreck again this season, so given the pitchers ahead of him, that shot could come sooner rather than later
NUTZ
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Minor League & College Baseball