Marmol/Gregg - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Marmol/Gregg

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Marmol/Gregg

Postby aravtrain21 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:01 pm

Pinella likes veteran players in crucial roles. Even though Gregg is not your prototypical closer, he has shown that he can adequately get the job done. He hasn't given up a run yet this spring and Marmol has been shaky in a few appearances. If I'm Lou, I go with Gregg...1. previous success in closer's role, 2. I can now use Marmol in different situations to get the ball to Gregg in the 9th (especially when i need a K to get out of a jam). This makes my bullpen much more efficient in closing out games.
aravtrain21
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:50 pm

yup, i see gregg as getting the closer role. this is just like what cleveland did with borowski and betancourt. makes sense, borowski got 40 or so saves i think.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:56 pm

Gregg has been better in the spring, and, honestly, I like Marmol as your spot reliever lockdown guy that you can use whenever rather than have him stuck closing. Though closing would probably prevent him from being overused.

Honestly, we've heard nothing about who is going to win this battle in Chicago, from what I've read, just like the leadoff situation (once again, Theriot's +.400 OBP will be ignored because Soriano likes to bat leadoff, come hell or high water.) Apparently Lou is supposed to decide this week.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ba ... 9320.story

My intuition says that it will be Gregg's job. But it's nothing more than a hunch.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Ender » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:59 pm

My guess is Gregg wins the job. I am drafting Marmol though. If Gregg fails to take the job he loses all of his value, if Marmol fails to take the job he still has value. Gregg has been a bit abused in the past few years and is starting to break down physically so I don't like his odds of staying healthy as much. Pinella trusts Marmol and I think if Gregg struggles early he loses the job again, I think Marmol gets a longer leash.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby SecretAgentMan » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:37 am

Ender wrote:My guess is Gregg wins the job. I am drafting Marmol though. If Gregg fails to take the job he loses all of his value, if Marmol fails to take the job he still has value. Gregg has been a bit abused in the past few years and is starting to break down physically so I don't like his odds of staying healthy as much. Pinella trusts Marmol and I think if Gregg struggles early he loses the job again, I think Marmol gets a longer leash.

In a std 5x5 league, they both are worth next to squat if they are not the closer. Middle Relivers are not worth a whole lot unless you are not playing 5x5 and your league counts some silly stat like Holds. Marmol would have more value since he could conceivably more easily step up into the closer's role, but if Gregg gets the job and then gets the job done, it isn't happening imo.

We heard similar type arguments about Todd Jones for the last 2 or 3 years of his career. Rodney is going to take over...Zumaya is going to take over...yeah well Jones may not have looked pretty doing the job, but he got the job done and he never really did lose that job until the very end when his contract was up. Not that Gregg is all that great, but he has done it before and done it adequately. So there is considerable risk to drafting either of these guys right now, esp. with Pinilla who is as about as clueless on pitching as any manager in MLB.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 830)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:53 am

Not true. Marmol is an elite reliever who, even if he isn't closing, will post phenomenal WHIP and ERA, pitch a good amount of innings, and strike out a ton of batters. Plus he will vulture saves. Even if he isn't closing he should definitely be on a 5x5 roster with anything more than 10 teams.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby SecretAgentMan » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:06 am

CubsFan7724 wrote:Not true. Marmol is an elite reliever who, even if he isn't closing, will post phenomenal WHIP and ERA, pitch a good amount of innings, and strike out a ton of batters. Plus he will vulture saves. Even if he isn't closing he should definitely be on a 5x5 roster with anything more than 10 teams.

Depending on your leagues IP limit and number of active slots, wasting IPs towards the IP limit with a MR instead of a closer or starter is not very productive as in the one case you are giving up saves and the other you are giving up Ws. kd9 does not score in 5x5. Yes it is true that a decent MR is better than a crummy starter, but that is not saying a whole lot as that means someone like Marmol would have the value of a fantasy #6 starter that is barely fantasy worthy to begin with in a mixed 10 or 12 team league. Yeah if you play with no ip limits in leagues with daily rosters then it makes MRs a little more palatable, but not by much. And in a weekly league, these guys have no value at all. I play in a number of weekly leagues and no MR not in a potential closer's role is rostered in any of them.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 830)

Postby Ender » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:37 am

I play in a number of weekly leagues and no MR not in a potential closer's role is rostered in any of them

I only play weekly and elite MRs always find their way into lineups no matter what. Might just be that we play deeper rosters, dunno. An elite MR will outproduce a marginal SP with only 1 start the majority of the time.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Niffoc4 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:57 am

SecretAgentMan wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:Not true. Marmol is an elite reliever who, even if he isn't closing, will post phenomenal WHIP and ERA, pitch a good amount of innings, and strike out a ton of batters. Plus he will vulture saves. Even if he isn't closing he should definitely be on a 5x5 roster with anything more than 10 teams.

Depending on your leagues IP limit and number of active slots, wasting IPs towards the IP limit with a MR instead of a closer or starter is not very productive as in the one case you are giving up saves and the other you are giving up Ws. kd9 does not score in 5x5. Yes it is true that a decent MR is better than a crummy starter, but that is not saying a whole lot as that means someone like Marmol would have the value of a fantasy #6 starter that is barely fantasy worthy to begin with in a mixed 10 or 12 team league. Yeah if you play with no ip limits in leagues with daily rosters then it makes MRs a little more palatable, but not by much. And in a weekly league, these guys have no value at all. I play in a number of weekly leagues and no MR not in a potential closer's role is rostered in any of them.

I would think someone like Marmol would be MORE and not less valuable with an IP limit, because for each inning he pitches he gets more k's, and at least as many wins (Figure 6 wins or so for 70 innings... which is more wins per inning than a 200 inning starter winning 15). With 2 Marmols you get the stats of a real stud SP, and that's without Saves or Holds.
This strategy does make more sense in a daily league or one with more roster space though.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby Maris09 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:39 am

Niffoc4 wrote:I would think someone like Marmol would be MORE and not less valuable with an IP limit, because for each inning he pitches he gets more k's, and at least as many wins.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I read that.

Basically if you only have 2 RP spots (as I guess SOME leagues do), then a non-closing reliever doesn't really work. But with any league that has the ability to use relievers either in more RP spots or P spots, someone like Marmol has tremendous value, regardless.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers