Marmol/Gregg - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Marmol/Gregg

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Marmol/Gregg

Postby DaShiz23 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:44 pm

dragoon wrote:I'll be staying away from both in the draft, let the other owners worry about it.

I would normally have this thought process as well, but Marmol's upside fantasy-wise as a closer is tremendous, and his draft slot is a lot lower than many of the guys he should end up better than.
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby lbblue » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:14 pm

NZ Eff wrote:Gregg will close to start the season but I see him struggling in Chicago in that role. Marmol will take over at some point but both Gregg and Marmol will be over valued come draft day. I would stay away from both in standard leagues unless you get them in the later rounds.

NZ Eff wrote:Really? Not saying the Cubs aren't foolish but the Cubs got Gregg to close. He will be the closer on opening day barring injury.

I'm very curious at to where you're getting your information. The Cubs got Gregg to close? Is that a fact? He'll start the season as the closer? You must have Jim Hendry/Lou Piniella on speed dial.

It is my feeling, and the predominant feeling among other Cubs' fans I know, that this closer "competition" is a sham. Marmol is going to be the guy. He has the best stuff of anyone in that bullpen and he's going to be the closer. My opinion, of course, but I do follow the Cubs closely and this is the conclusion I've come to from reading between the lines.

I believe Gregg was brought in for a variety of reasons and one of them, IMO, is as a backup plan for closer if Marmol fails or gets hurt. On a day to day basis, though, I see him sliding into Marmol's setup role or possibly Bob Howry/Jeff Samardzija's 7th inning role (supposedly Samardzija is being given an opportunity to compete for the 5th starter spot and may go down to the minors to work as a starter if he doesn't win the job).

I can understand why anyone would shy away from Marmol or Gregg in a fantasy draft, but I'll draft Marmol with confidence as my closer, just like I did last year with Kerry Wood. I think it will pay off at least as well, if not better.
lbblue
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Maris09 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:51 pm

If you get Marmol, it's gonna pay off to grab Gregg with your 2nd to last pick or whatever.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Doughhead » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:32 pm

Any updates in this battle?
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby rookies and cream » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:24 am

Doughhead wrote:Any updates in this battle?

I don't think so. But I'd be a little more cautious now. Gregg is having a much better spring than Marmol, and if indeed this was a competition (as the Cub's have said), he has to be the frontrunner at this point.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 43)

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:58 am

I'd avoid Gregg, he was abused by the Angels and looks to be breaking down physically some. His K/9 is dropping, he dropped his change up last year and started throwing a lot more sliders which isn't a healthy thing to do at all.

I think Marmol is overrated but he is the better value out of these 2 even if he doesn't end up starting as the closer. Just be ready for an ERA over 3 from him.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Urban Cohorts » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:21 pm

garf112 wrote:he may be more useful elsewhere, but what team actually employs the theory of having a "relief ace?" It is a great idea, but until I see it actually happen...

The only example I can think of is the Angels doing this back in the Percival days. Troy Percival was the closer and Francisco Rodriguez was the setup/relief ace guy. Brought a lot of success to the Angels, even though Rodriguez was a better pitcher than Percival at that point.

As for Marmol vs. Gregg, I ditto a response above: If you draft Marmol, you sure as heck better pick up Gregg too.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Scooter1027 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:07 am

Ender wrote:I'd avoid Gregg, he was abused by the Angels and looks to be breaking down physically some. His K/9 is dropping, he dropped his change up last year and started throwing a lot more sliders which isn't a healthy thing to do at all.

I think Marmol is overrated but he is the better value out of these 2 even if he doesn't end up starting as the closer. Just be ready for an ERA over 3 from him.

Agreed. I think Marmol is the better choice of the two, but I likely will end up with neither. Marmol's xFIP last year was 3.87, and I'm feeling that his '09 ERA will be closer to that than the 2.68 ERA he put up in '08. That freaky low .185 BABIP can't be sustained, and when you couple his high walk rate with a few more hits dropping in, both the WHIP and ERA will climb. I personally expect something along the lines of what PECOTA has him down for this year, which is a 3.40/1.25 line. Of course, there's nothing too terrible about that, still solid, especially when you consider the Ks he gets you too. But toss in the fact that he's no where near a lock to be the wire-to-wire closer for this team, and I just prefer to take some of the other options out there in his general draft tier (the more sure things like Fuentes, Wood, Cordero, etc).
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby BrooklynBums » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:05 am

per Rotowire

"Marmol is coming off a terrible loss against the Netherlands which knocked the heavily favored Dominican Republic team out of the WBC. His manager Lou Piniella has already implied that how Marmol bounces back from that will say a lot about whether he has the right mentality to close. If it takes Marmol several outings to get his head on straight after the WBC debacle, there's a good chance Kevin Gregg will open the season as the closer.

As of right now, I'd still say Marmol is the slight favorite, but given the current cost of each player (Marmol is the 10th reliever off the board in Yahoo Leagues, while Gregg is the 40th), Gregg is the better gamble."
BrooklynBums
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby smoovethug » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:10 am

Scooter1027 wrote:Agreed. I think Marmol is the better choice of the two, but I likely will end up with neither. Marmol's xFIP last year was 3.87, and I'm feeling that his '09 ERA will be closer to that than the 2.68 ERA he put up in '08. That freaky low .185 BABIP can't be sustained, and when you couple his high walk rate with a few more hits dropping in, both the WHIP and ERA will climb. I personally expect something along the lines of what PECOTA has him down for this year, which is a 3.40/1.25 line. Of course, there's nothing too terrible about that, still solid, especially when you consider the Ks he gets you too. But toss in the fact that he's no where near a lock to be the wire-to-wire closer for this team, and I just prefer to take some of the other options out there in his general draft tier (the more sure things like Fuentes, Wood, Cordero, etc).

Well put. ;-D I've got the same approach as well.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers