Marmol/Gregg - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Marmol/Gregg

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Marmol/Gregg

Postby NZ Eff » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:34 am

Yoda wrote:Gregg is simply not a good pitcher.

Another ridiculous statement.

His BAA over the past two seasons is .205. Even for a closer that is very, very good. HIs career K/9 is 8.1. The problem the past two years has been the high BB/9.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 91)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Maris09 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:59 am

garf112 wrote:he may be more useful elsewhere, but what team actually employs the theory of having a "relief ace?" It is a great idea, but until I see it actually happen...

:-? Pretty sure it happened last year....and in Chicago. Wood was great, but the best reliever on the team was Marmol.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 30)

Postby Yoda » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:55 am

NZ Eff wrote:
Yoda wrote:Gregg is simply not a good pitcher.

Another ridiculous statement.

His BAA over the past two seasons is .205. Even for a closer that is very, very good. HIs career K/9 is 8.1. The problem the past two years has been the high BB/9.

Since when is BAA the standard measure for pitching? Is that a New Zealand thing? :-D

OK, so maybe he is a decent pitcher but his K9 and BB9 are going the wrong direction and moving out of FLA will definitely hurt his numbers overall. 4.85 BB9 is not very good at all.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:32 am

Maris09 wrote:
garf112 wrote:he may be more useful elsewhere, but what team actually employs the theory of having a "relief ace?" It is a great idea, but until I see it actually happen...

:-? Pretty sure it happened last year....and in Chicago. Wood was great, but the best reliever on the team was Marmol.

Was he?
Code: Select all
Wood:   66.1 IP 4.67 K/BB 0.41 HR/9 2.44 BB/9 .331 BABIP 11.40 K/9
Marmol: 87.1 IP 2.78 K/BB 1.03 HR/9 4.23 BB/9 .185 BABIP 11.75 K/B

He threw more innings, but he didn't mow batters down at a much higher rate, walked a ton more batters, gave up HR at a higher clip, and was severely aided by a .185 BABIP, which was a far cry from any BABIP he's ever had at any other level. There's a reason all the major projections are calling for a regression for him. If his BABIP goes back to the .270 level, where it probably ought to, his ERA and WHIP will be returning to a more reasonable level for how many batters he puts on.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 814)

Postby Maris09 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:44 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Was he?

I'd say he was.
Those numbers don't take into account that he was over used early.
For the first half of the year, Marmol was up there with the best relievers in all of baseball, let alone on his own team.

Part of the reason his numbers didn't stay at that crazy level was due to Pinella over using him. At least to my eyes, he was the more effective pitcher last year

It's hard to call one better than the other, they were both very very good. My main point was that it is possible for a team to use their most effective reliever earlier than the 9th.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 30)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:54 pm

Maris09 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Was he?

I'd say he was.
Those numbers don't take into account that he was over used early.
For the first half of the year, Marmol was up there with the best relievers in all of baseball, let alone on his own team.

Part of the reason his numbers didn't stay at that crazy level was due to Pinella over using him. At least to my eyes, he was the more effective pitcher last year

It's hard to call one better than the other, they were both very very good. My main point was that it is possible for a team to use their most effective reliever earlier than the 9th.

I dunno. August was his best month of the entire season, and he was good in September, too. He was downright dreadful in June and July, but his ERA was lucky in the latter month. He was walking everybody for that two month stretch, and his K's were down considerably. His innings were down then, but I imagine it was largely due to his ineffectiveness (I don't recall, off hand).

I dunno, I just think that there is a huge potential for Marmol to perform no where near where some believe he will this season, unless he suddenly stops walking so many batters. I have no idea if he'll pitch the 8th or 9th, but I do believe that Gregg was brought in to close, at least initially. His effectiveness of course will determine if he continues in the role.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 814)

Postby kab21 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:03 pm

Yoda wrote:
OK, so maybe he is a decent pitcher but his K9 and BB9 are going the wrong direction and moving out of FLA will definitely hurt his numbers overall. 4.85 BB9 is not very good at all.

Obviously Marmol is the better pitcher but I like how your argument against Gregg is based on walk rate. Marmol is in the 4.25-4.50 range. And I wouldn't exactly consider one year to be a trend. Gregg is solid but unspectacular.

he may be more useful elsewhere, but what team actually employs the theory of having a "relief ace?" It is a great idea, but until I see it actually happen...

If there was a place that I would expect to see it happen it would be with Lou Pinella.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 518)

Postby Eagle Baseball » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:06 pm

I haven't talked to Lou lately or anything but I have to think if Marmol throws strikes he will be the closer.
Eagle Baseball
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:29 pm

kab21 wrote:
Yoda wrote:

Obviously Marmol is the better pitcher but I like how your argument against Gregg is based on walk rate. Marmol is in the 4.25-4.50 range. And I wouldn't exactly consider one year to be a trend. Gregg is solid but unspectacular.

Marmol had a rough stretch and still was more dominant. Also 4 years younger than Gregg so if anything I'd expect Marmol to improve. As for Gregg, guys like him have a couple of good seasons and disappear so while he's been solid I would not expect him to improve.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby dragoon » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:34 pm

I'll be staying away from both in the draft, let the other owners worry about it.
dragoon
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers